Game-Labs Forum

Work in progress

3 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Empire Total War had a much more detailed and colourful UI in naval battles and never it drags my attention from where the action was happening.

This UI still feels something unfinished, in between two different styles, and it should keep the bet in armonizing with the rest of the game UI.

Sure an UI can be "more detailed and colourful" without dragging attention away from the game when its intuitive. Maybe I am just not a fan of all the pictographs.

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

Not so sure about the battle UI. The upper part looks good (the dmg counter looks a bit strange tho - maybe it's the space between the icons. The bottom part I am not a fan. Looks really confusing and loaded with solid pictographs

we wanted to remove all text from there (as it interferes with localization). and icons and buttons should be dark and simple to not distract from the battle. we will see how it works in live game as icons are very easy to replace. We will tune them to a good state. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, admin said:

we wanted to remove all text from there (as it interferes with localization). and icons and buttons should be dark and simple to not distract from the battle. we will see how it works in live game as icons are very easy to replace. We will tune them to a good state. 

maybe instead of the rear and front facing cannons a bow view and a stern view. Makes it at least for me more catchy and its not depeninding on cam view.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wraith said:

@admin I really am wondering why are we changing boarding mechanics now? Without the ability to see the other players current choice, and potentially last second click at the tradeoff of prep, you’ve literally stripped what very little skill there was away from the mechanic.

With your proposed change why even bother having a scaled prep cost? If you choose early or late it won’t matter since the other player can’t be induced into making any changes. The only thing this does is make boarding incredibly opaque and a true game of rock, paper, scissors (except against AI which basically will still be dumb and formulaic to kill, it’ll just be even more difficult for newbies to learn the patterns). Furthermore, it places yet even more emphasis on boarding mods. I think this is a big mistake.

Unless there is more to it.

4 hours ago, admin said:

(note that you will no longer see enemy commands). Commands given at the last second will also consume a lot more preparation.

Boarding won't depend on skill?

Where is a transparency? I want to see hooked ships and all players actions around.

Make pls good crew visualization like in total war/age of pirates: climbing by shrouds, moving on deck, sword fighting etc. Make it at least because you refused the boarding 2.0.

9SupXkb.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Coraline Vodka said:

During a boarding wouldn't you be able to see what the other ship is preparing to do? You could see guys about to jump across the ship for an attack or preparing deck guns  or musket.  makes no sense why it would be blind.

Maybe it shouldn't be totally hidden. Sure you would see a boarding party getting ready to step on your ship so commands could be revealed by

Aggressive command : means could be grenades or attack

Defensive: defend muskets brace

But let us test the 2 extremes first.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Looks like the Gun decks and above decks emplacements and the amount of guns there ? Or crew ? 

What is interesting is the ammo types above.

1 - double ball

2 - chain

3 - ball ????

4 - grape

5 - double charge

if you are not carrying double shot/charge perks will those icons be greyed out? Or, are they becoming general features in game?

Just now, Sir Lancelot Holland said:

if you are not carrying double shot/charge perks will those icons be greyed out? Or, are they becoming general features in game?

No idea, but i think they are all enabled as per being screens from dev server side I guess.

We see the entire matrix though. Doubt the UI will be that intrusive. 

Although the active squares could be coloured the same "sandpaper" beige as the rest of the UI...

If the quantity of canonballs were to be limited, one thing that may spice it would be to have a maximum weight to carry and the ability to choose the caliber of your balls, taking either more lighter 4-pdr balls ou fewer heavier 9-pdr balls, for example.

Edited by LeBoiteux

9 hours ago, admin said:

Boarding screen work in progress.  (note that you will no longer see enemy commands). Commands given at the last second will also consume a lot more preparation.

pUKVMp7.jpg

Interesting stuff.

Aside rebalancing moves and counter-moves and mods, will it be possible to have a precise idea of boarding formulas?
It consider it  useful both to make it more meaningful, and moreover simpler to suggest rebalancing problems (I could say "move Gren bonus vs Brace from 10 to 20% and not simply a generic "we need grenades buffed/nerfed/whatever).

Personally I'd get rid totally, especially with secret moves, of last second swaps.
Short the timer by half, reduce a bit all damage along the board and make thus more fast rounds: without last second swaps, no need to get a 15 sec rounds.

About new Combat interface: will we in the end able to see our ships mast status??
It's still pretty weird I know to the last man enemy crew... but I have no idea of my masts conditions; not to speak that I know how many mast hits placed into the enemy... and again he has no real information.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:42 PM, admin said:

Work in progress screen for battle UI update

hDUzsqc.png

Will we have two different version of compass?

One for OW with W,S,N,E and one for Battle with 270,180,0,90.

I wonder if there will be tooltips on the buttons.

Edited by qw569

image.png.4e58920fa369f8e7b7415b0499139f3c.png

Hi guys, somehow I miss the wind direction when i'm in a very messy combat, I think it can be a bit improved, the other think I experienced at the beginning of the game is the lack of info regarding the canon side and reload shortcuts , you get use to it of course, but for a newbie, its always a mess guessing . I' hope you enjoy my skills in powerpoint :)

Cheers

• Like 3

On 12/24/2018 at 11:08 AM, Coraline Vodka said:

During a boarding wouldn't you be able to see what the other ship is preparing to do? You could see guys about to jump across the ship for an attack or preparing deck guns  or musket.  makes no sense why it would be blind.

Sure you would be able to see what the enemy is planning. The enemy sure as hell wouldn't be able to last second change to a completely different attack or defense. IMO we should not be allowed to change our choices. Let the last second move matter, but only as playing "chicken" waiting til the last second to make a choice. Allowing ppl to change their choice at last second just negates any fun for more than half the players...those with longer ping than a rage boarder.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:06 AM, Ganking Simulator said:

Isnt boarding totally random then? Almost like rolling a dice

It already is random dice rolling. Who knows if your last second choice change will apply before or after an enemy with a better ping than you.

• 2 months later...
On 4/6/2015 at 3:57 PM, slik said:

original.jpeg

Although not a priority, I hope you guys don't forget about this one. At the bare minimum you should give Russia, Prussia and Poland the northern european architecture ( that danes, swedes and dutch currently use ) instead of the spanish. Also all buildings need to be downscaled in size, they look ridiculously out of place like they are built and used by giants.

Just compare the height of forts and towers to the wooden huts around the main buildings in ports... almost equal.

More different architectural styles could also be a cosmetic DLC, if you can not be bothered to do it otherwise.

• Like 5