Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Entry to missions! Your opinion needed.

363 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for mission entry options

• Allow entry only to enemies - solving pvp exploit
    • Keep entry for all (increasing the assist XP) - providing more opportunities to defend

Honestly though, if you don't want randoms in your missions and NPC battles, DONT STAY NEAR A CAPITAL!!! If you relocate to anywhere else on the map you will find there will be 99% less uninvited helpers, if you can't be bothered moving away from an area that is full of newbies and complain that they get in the way when the solution is to simply head to a remote area you should not be complaining. Port royal is a cesspool of cutters jumping on everything that has crossed swords, solution: moved to a free port near Mexico, no newbie cutters, no ship stealing and reason to whine because I, like many others chose the simple obvious solution to get out of the capital and not just complain about. If you still don't wish to leave your capital then you deserve to deal with the cutter army as there is a whole map to be populated not just 7 cites.

In other words let the griefers be, take it or leave?

Yes that makes sense. 

No need to maybe fix some broken mechanic, naw just move.

There are more pressing things to fix and more features to add that are more important then a problem that is simply fixed without wasted effort, trolls will be trolls but when you can easily move away from them it isn't a major issue. What really needs to be done is player production of resources and mission exp/gold reward shared with your group as these mission become insanely hard to solo. Broken, nay, it's a fine system with the only problem being the PVP escape route, your comment on griefers is a problem found in the online community if you can't deal with them don't play with them, simple.

• Like 1

The whining is getting ridiculous. You people are unhappy about griefers entering your missions when you want an calm solo action..! Then move away from the Port Royale and all your problems will be solved! literally there're 75% less players in port Morant and only few at port Antonio. But no... people are lazy, so sailing for 10 minutes is too hard for them.

About the mechanics. They're fine. I've participated in assaults on the ports and I can say that 5 minute timer for FFA entry is fine, because groups can contain only 6 players, so when you're sieging a port, multiple groups are required. limiting entry to group-members only will solve nothing. decreasing timer's value will prevent reinforcements from coming.

Yesterday Bunch of people were hunting big ships. It required a few more people than 6. And yet again 6 is the limit for the group. so limiting XP for the group which started the combat is not an option as those who wanted to grind XP outside the group would get nothing.

There's one mechanic that needs a tweak/change - AoE of the circle when you try to attack an AI or a player. It's ridiculous when a basic cutter decides to attack a French constitution tight outside the Kingsport thus dragging in anything within 500 meters radius. It's annoying and unnecessary.

In conclusion, increasing PvP rewards is a good idea and while mechanics of PvE/PvP are a little bit flawed, no major changes are necessary as it will only create more problems without fixing current ones. And those who whine are just too lazy to sail to the closest port to solo missions in peace.

what I suggest across all servers as far as reinforcements are concerned is everyone in the group can use flares to signal thereby opening the instance for reinforcements! It worked in another game for friends to get a visual as to where the instance was actually located.

I also like the idea to have group missions available while docked in port as a group!

As far as griefers entering, well that's just it.... Should not be allowed at all.. In fact if you refuse to remove that function then make it so there are serious penalties for doing so. Either way something needs to change in this respect.

If not any of the suggestions above in this post then only have the ability to enter a mission instance via either present in the group or flare! period.

My main concern with this is why does the pve server get dictated to by the responses form the pvp servers exactly, it is not pvp. Split the vote, pvp or pve because the reasoning for the vote differs according to the server.

If you need reinforcements pop a flare!!! Otherwise all instances are closed to group members or clan members only!

• Like 2

Make it like suggested above.

• All Enemy can come and hunt you down, this is normal on a PVP server.
  • Group members, change nothing, it's working as intended
  • Friendlies need to be accepted by the person who accepted the mission.

(Imagine a Small popup sceen in the upper right corner: xxx sailing on yyyy would like to join your fight. Accept/Reject)

• After 5mn, battle is closed for any additional entrants

This. +1

• Like 3

I really like Wind's idea about a timer after a group enters a battle to allow any enemies they might be running from to chase them into the mission. My only addition to his idea would be to limit the mission to only the player or players that entered it in the beginning from their respective nation. That way, if I'm running around doing missions with a couple friends, we don't have to worry about other people from our nation crashing the party, because they would be locked out, unless by some chance an enemy player would happen to join the battle. In that case, the battle would instantly become a regular PvP battle with a five minute closing timer to allow friendly players to come to our aid.

great idea here!

A very simple solution was found in POTBS.

Do not allow friendly players that are not grouped to enter the instance, and restrict enemy players with the current timer. Add a new mechanic that involves the release of a distress flare, release of the distress flare opens up the instance to all and also posts a message in national chat asking for help within a fixed range. At the same time change the icon on the open sea making it easier to distinguish from other instances, my suggestion would be the signal flag Uniform, this signal means you are sailing into danger. Put the distress flare on a cooldown to prevent abuse, and prevent players gaining any further xp from npc's in the instance once a flare is released.

While the devs of potbs got a lot wrong, this at least was an elegant solution to the sort of problems this game is currently facing. All interests are served, folks can stay in an instance on their own if that is what they want while retaining the ability to call in help, and being open to the enemy on a timer, prevents pvp abuse.

Edited by Hexcaliber
  • Like 3

A very simple solution was found in POTBS.

Do not allow friendly players that are not grouped to enter the instance, and restrict enemy players with the current timer. Add a new mechanic that involves the release of a distress flare, release of the distress flare opens up the instance to all and also posts a message in national chat asking for help within a fixed range. At the same time change the icon on the open sea making it easier to distinguish from other instances, my suggestion would the be the signal flag Uniform, this signal means you are sailing into danger. Put the distress flare on a cooldown to prevent abuse.

While the devs of potbs got a lot wrong, this at least was an elegant solution to the sort of problems this game is currently facing. All interests are served, folks can stay in an instance on their own if that is what they want while retaining the ability to call in reinforcements if jumped by the enemy, and being open to the enemy on a timer, prevents pvp abuse.

This is the only real solution. period!

People are unhappy because of low assist awards - when your friendlies enter, they help to destroy your target (fulfilling your mission) but limiting your xp because they take your damage away. 

There are two options currently that can solve both problems. 

• Close the entry for non-group members but keep the entry for enemies - limiting the pvp exploit
  • Allow entry for non-group members, but increase mission rewards and assist XP - providing options for friendlies to reinforce 

Please share your opinion on the subject. 

Greedy unhappy players will stay whatever you do, but i've voted for increasing rewards.

P.s. hiding friendly lobbis against more xp — i dont really think the first solution is comparable with the second.

(Imagine a Small popup sceen in the upper right corner: xxx sailing on yyyy would like to join your fight. Accept/Reject)

+1 to you sir couldn't have said it better myself.

What's described above appears to be the approach many other games have taken to prevent this and I believe this is the most sensible solution for this problem. The player initiating the mission has total control of the situation as it is their mission. If they decide to accept help they should be made aware of the fact that their XP and gold reward for the mission/ kills may be decreased due to the other friendly player(s) presence.

I haven't voted since neither of the two options provided are a good enough fix for the issue at hand.

Option 1 - This would make me afraid since a 1v1 battle could soon turn into a 6v1 battle where you're left alone without the option to accept help.

Option 2 - Although this might fix the immediate issue, in the long term I believe this would just shift the problem to the other issue people are having which is stealing boarding opportunities.

YES PLEASE, more xp in battle for GRIND PLAYER so in less than one month you will see SANTISSIMA Around TAking Harbort versus the 90% of the population who are only at Frigate !!!

DO THAT and what the point of this game ?

<p>

This. +1

I find it funny how when you come out with a instance entry thread it's about enemies hiding in blanket mission areas. I've rarely seen this. Why are you ignoring the real issue of people being protected by your rules and mechanics while their griefing people.

I've already had one friend quit cause he was tired of getting pulled into pve and getting his traders Snows he painstakingly wait until they were away from Port jumped on by people who enter a couple minutes later.

The only thing I would add to the list above is also make it so you get an invite into pve that you can say no to. Always pulled into PVP by enemies on PVP server of course. I'm growing tired of trying to get somewhere and getting pulled into pve several times where I just have to wait out the timer and then leave.

Edit just to prove a point last night from Cabo to Saint Mary it happened twice between towns and thus Im just screwed getting to the 3rd Rate fight my friends are doing. Other people had the same thing. I remember waiting several times on different engagements last night cause people got pulled into random pve and have to wait out the timer to leave. Never seen a game do this kind of stuff before it blows my mind in 2016.

A flare would be a nice touch.

For all the people saying leave the capital sorry but we are far from the capital and it's still happening.

Edited by Frost

This. +1

I find it funny how when you come out with a instance entry thread it's about enemies hiding in blanket mission areas. I've rarely seen this. Why are you ignoring the real issue of people being protected by your rules and mechanics while their griefing people.

I've already had one friend quit cause he was tired of getting pulled into pve and getting his traders Snows he painstakingly wait until they were away from Port jumped on by people who enter a couple minutes later.

The only thing I would add to the list above is also make it so you get an invite into pve that you can say no to. Always pulled into PVP by enemies on PVP server of course. I'm growing tired of trying to get somewhere and getting pulled into pve several times where I just have to wait out the timer and then leave.

Edit just to prove a point last night from Cabo to Saint Mary it happened twice between towns and thus Im just screwed getting to the 3rd Rate fight my friends are doing. Other people had the same thing. I remember waiting several times on different engagements last night cause people got pulled into random pve and have to wait out the timer to leave. Never seen a game do this kind of stuff before it blows my mind in 2016.

A flare would be a nice touch.

For all the people saying leave the capital sorry but we are far from the capital and it's still happening.

+1 to this

I like this ideal

I really believe there is a genuine problem of interest here. The PvP'ers are entitled to have the option to "butt in" on random encounters - don't really see the problem there, it's kinda what u sign up for in PvP. The missions ought to be closed tho.. What I don't really understand is why the PvE server can't have standard PvE rules? - ppl who chose the PvE servers are there mainly to relax and have a good time, and don't want it ruined by the freeloaders who hawk your missions and prizes. There ought to be different rules for the PvE and PvP servers - that way ppl can choose the one of their liking. Just my copper on the matter.

/ De Gramont

• Like 1

YES PLEASE, more xp in battle for GRIND PLAYER so in less than one month you will see SANTISSIMA Around TAking Harbort versus the 90% of the population who are only at Frigate !!!

I hope that in the long run, Ships of the Line are limited in number anyway based on expense, even if everyone is max rank. I would anticipate most PvPers eventually settling into a 4th rate, if not a 5th or even 6th rate due to the ratio of "time spent making money and ships" being too high compared to "time spent fighting enemies".

Like if you want to PvP in 1st rates, you will spend 10 hours grinding money and resources to afford 1 hour of PvP.

If you PvP in 5th rates, maybe it's more like 1 hour grinding money and resources to afford 1 hour of PvP.

Making XP slower or faster won't change the economic formula.

• Like 1

I really should read the forums before posting 5am and not having slept, addictions i blame u guys for making the game.

Regardless how about a pvp flag? if you engage another player you cannot enter missions for 2hrs. If however you are attacked by another player and did not initate the pvp you will not get the pvp flag and lock out. This would stop the said exploit for pvp safe havens at least for those that have already been attacking others if they wish to hide in mission before engaging who cares, you can also make this pvp flag group wide so you cannot abuse that mechanic and persistant even if you then leave and re join a group possibly stopping another exploit.

In regards to the griefing from stealing nearly boarded ships, why not bring the surrender total down to 5 crew? its pretty much their any way and most accounts of this happening is when their already close to winning around 5 crew right?

And i do believe that mission instances should be locked to owners and group members and your nation. If players are attacked in open water so be it but missions themselves should be.

dont like both ideas.

When a mission starts : no additional adds.

For pvp hidding exploit : maybe lets mark an enemy ship for pvp.

If it is marked it can not enter missions for some time or until he manged to get far away from the enemy or makes it to a port. No hidding possible anymore.

To prevent griefing a marked ship can not be marked again for some minutes from the same player / group

Solution TWO :
Give us TWO mission types.
Open and Closed.
Open gives more XP but anyone can enter on any side. always, even 30 seconds before it ends and steal your ship.
Closed means : no one enters less xp because less risk.

At the moment it is more profitable to enter missions [one level higher than your rank] and just solo it. Not only is this possible, but relatively easy. Grouping up is fun, but has a negative impact on your grind.

Alongside the current, constant 3 mission options, your should also have specific group missions that couldn't possibly be solo'd which provide the mission reward exp to each player ASWELL as the damage exp.

That would help solve this assist exp. in regards to enemies joining your missions, that would definitely be a great feature. We are in a PvP server after all, and if you're silly enough to do missions far out of friendly territory...

With solo missions, it is already apparent that randomly joining someone's solo mission is frowned upon, so I don't believe there need be any mechanic to restrict friendlies entering.

You should make it optional for the person who started the mission if he allows friendlies or not.

Doing this with that setting remembered to every battle you initiate would be great if it also prevented pulling in friendlies when you're for example going for a trader that you don't want anybody else to be able to board. Maybe during the countdown we get to press X to set if the instance should be locked to friendlies or not when the timer ran out.

No matter the speed of xp gain, if it's a consistent value same for all on all ranks and with all ships, the few people getting to santisima when the bigger portion are on frigate will still be there. So, your also asking today what the point of the game is. In time everybody will be max rank anyway and the ability to use a Santisima would be a matter of the players economy.

Not sure if this has been suggested liek this before as I didn't read the whole thread but how about this option:

Initially when A player or group enters a mission instance it's only open to enemies but the group leader has an option to "request reinforcements" which would basically open it up for other friendly players.

That way people can decide for themselves whether and when they want to open up their mission instance to friendlies or not.

Edit: I saw that this was pretty much already suggested in the form of reinforcement flares. I'd like to second that idea.

Edited by Professurreal

Why not use a "loot roll" system? Like most MMO's. PLUS, a way to "lock" missions if you don't want random players entering.

(Options are the best way to go, with any "group" games!)

[Only applies to PVE, as PVP should have different "rules". But, I'm sure some of these could work and be welcome for pvp as well.]

Give us the option to:

1:Closed missions: No random entry from a friendly faction player! (For lone players)

2:Closed group: Will be closed to anyone not in the group. Group will roll for loot.

2:Closed group: Free for all loot. Loot will drop, as in floating debris crates. (Just an example) Players must sail to the loot to collect. First come, first serve. You cap a ship, its yours. Group members agree to "free for all" loot, when making the group.(can also be changed at any time, with accepted change by players.)

3:Open minnsion: Any friendly player may enter your mission during the first 5min, until locked. Auto set to roll for loot. Free for all option not viable. 

I think this is the perfect solution.