Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Entry to missions! Your opinion needed.

363 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for mission entry options

• Allow entry only to enemies - solving pvp exploit
    • Keep entry for all (increasing the assist XP) - providing more opportunities to defend

Captains.. 

Currently missions allow entry for all players (enemies and friendlies). We know that it is causing a lot of problems for many. 

We would like to explain the rationale for entry and explain how this feature was changing in the past. 

1) Initially missions were only for solo play and you could only enter them alone - players have requested the ability to enter as a group

2) We added the option to enter mission as a group to allow better group interactions.

Then we encountered an unforeseen problem.

PvP players have started to use the missions as safe harbors. When chased by the enemy - a player could enter a mission and hide in it totally disappearing from the map escaping a chase. Problem was excacerbated by the fact that a group of 6 players could take 18 missions as a group around one town providing a huge safety net allowing the opportunity to hide almost anywhere if pursued by the superior enemy. PvP suffered as a result. 

3) To solve this problem we allowed entry into missions for everyone during normal 5 minute timers, providing more PvP opportunities on the PvP server and at the same time providing your friendly forces to come to help you in bad situations. 

People are unhappy because of low assist awards - when your friendlies enter, they help to destroy your target (fulfilling your mission) but limiting your xp because they take your damage away. 

There are two options currently that can solve both problems. 

• Close the entry for non-group members but keep the entry for enemies - limiting the pvp exploit
  • Allow entry for non-group members, but increase mission rewards and assist XP - providing options for friendlies to reinforce 

Please share your opinion on the subject. 

• Like 2

I feel that the missions that take place out at sea should be accessible by everyone. But the boosted/shared XP is long overdue for this, but only if you are in a group with the captain who's mission you are assisting with (no free riders who jump in random missions.)

Could it be possible to make 2 types of missions? 

• Ones like we have now, where we must sail from port and access the mission at sea. These would be open to everyone.
  • Ones that are accessed immediately from port. These would be closed to only those who have the mission and anyone who may be in a group. The mission is accessed directly from the port. (From Port straight to Battle instance, no OS. This could be used to begin testing any possible "coastal" maps.) 
  • Like 4

The problem with other ships from your faction entering is not only reduce the xp. The problem is some players, use that for griefing. The tribunal is full with cases like that.

What about 1 minute limit to close missions instances?

• Like 5

If the mechanic stays as it is I for one am done with the game, as it is, I have stopped playing waiting for the fix you have promised was coming for weeks. This games community took a nose dive since it became available on Steam, and there are many players just waiting to screw over others when there is nothing to stop them. Allowing this to remain you effectively invite and endorse griefing from players within a players own nation.

If I chose to take on npc to grind xp, gold, or to cap ships I really do not want others to butt in and deprive me of the xp, gold and very often the prize too, I do not need uninvited "help". If I do take on larger groups of NPC I am quite capable of doing so with a group of players of my choosing.

You have been claiming that it was a bug that non grouped players were able to join an instance; one of the reasons I decided to buy my own copy of the game. There are plenty of pvp opportunities to fight the enemy in opposing nations, I should not have to deal with players from my own faction griefing me due to broken or poor mechanics.

Edited by Hexcaliber
  • Like 6

1-minute timers for missions.

Edit: Maybe all the people complaining about jerks ruining missions should come play for Spain. I have never seen the slightest bit of bad behavior. Someone joins my battle, I ask them to shoot chain and grape because I am trying to capture, and that's what they do. Even though plenty of them don't even speak English.

• Like 3

You have been claiming that it was a bug that non grouped players were able to join an instance; one of the reasons I decided to buy my own copy of the game. There are plenty of pvp opportunities to fight the enemy in opposing nations, I should not have to deal with players from my own faction griefing me due to broken or poor mechanics.

It was a bug for a friendly entry. We can eliminate it tomorrow as we already fixed it in the dev version - the downside for locking entry only for groups = it will allow enemies to attack you with no chances for reinforcements 

Basically I am satisfied with the current situation. It isn't this bad.

As for the options:

1. This will make saling in hostile waters and ganking much more easier, cause it would mitigate the risk of unforeseen enemy reinforcement coming up. I will love that, but I think the majority if mission runners will not.

2. More exp and money for missions are always good)

It was a bug for a friendly entry. We can eliminate it tomorrow as we already fixed it in the dev version - the downside for locking entry only for groups = it will allow enemies to attack you with no chances for reinforcements

Thats fine, if I chose to sail alone that is of my choosing, currently I have no choice. I am a grown up I understand that the enemy can join in numbers and attack me.

Numerous times players have joined and DELIBERATELY sunk a ship I had intended to cap, even when I have asked polity that they do not do so, and I can do nothing to stop them as it puts me in the wrong shooting them. Complaints here in the forums about the issue are at worst ignored, or closed with the comment that it will be fixed.

This is currently being used as an excuse to grief players, the gentlemen you want playing your game disappeared once you moved to Steam. Sadly there are a large number of asshats who like nothing more than getting in the way of others, especially when they can do so with impunity.

Edited by Hexcaliber
  • Like 1

Entry for all in missions BUT:

- XP and Creds attributed only to the Player/Group taking the mission. Extra players get zero.

This would eliminate any need to "steal" and retain the ability to chase anyone trying to escape a pursuit.

• Like 4

A mission site is nothing other than a small instance of the local sea. Anybody should be able to access it my opinion. The game map is huge some people do not mind others coming to help them some people do. With a world map this big people who want private missions should be able to find a quite port some where away from the crowds and in mission in peace.

When I first started I was glad when a friendly turned up in my mission and helped.

• Like 1

Make it like suggested above.

• All Enemy can come and hunt you down, this is normal on a PVP server.
  • Group members, change nothing, it's working as intended
  • Friendlies need to be accepted by the person who accepted the mission.
    (Imagine a Small popup sceen in the upper right corner: xxx sailing on yyyy would like to join your fight. Accept/Reject)
  • After 5mn, battle is closed for any additional entrants
  • Like 11

Strikes me that to appease the PvP fanatics by solving a problem you are throwing those who want some solo relaxing time under the bus.

And I'm not at all sure there was all that much of a prolem in the first place. I cannot think there were all that many that were gaming the system with fleeing into Admirality Orders mission. And even if there were... so what?! It would appear that in such a case half the people involved didn't want to PvP at that time, so why side the PvPer? Certainly not if it severely cripples the Missions.

As noted, there is no shortage of douchebags intruding on a mission and robbing you of rewards and oft snatching a prize you worked hard at.

Edited by Elmarby
  • Like 2

A mission site is nothing other than a small instance of the local sea. Anybody should be able to access it my opinion. The game map is huge some people do not mind others coming to help them some people do. With a world map this big people who want private missions should be able to find a quite port some where away from the crowds and in mission in peace.

When I first started I was glad when a friendly turned up in my mission and helped.

If you want folks helping you all you have to do is invite them to group, this is not hard. Currently players are able to force their "help" on you whether you like it or not, that is never a good thing. There are players who are using the current system to deliberately grief players in their own nation; how the hell can that ever be justified or appropriate. We are not even allowed to shoot at them, doing so means we are breaking the rules, and could face a ban; so all you can do is sit there, and let it happen, that is poor design any way you want to cut it.

Edited by Hexcaliber
  • Like 1

I'll be honest..I didn't vote..I don't get it...Make it optional in "Settings" whether or mot you want to allow random people to come into your mission. If you are in a group, it allows your group members..XP/gold gain is something else....

Plus, does the apply to PVE servers, or just PVP servers...Might need a little more to the "vote"....

• Like 2

Missions as they are right now, are just an open gate for griefers. If you want to keep them opened to everyone (enemies or allies), please set their timer to 1 minute. After the counter hits zero, they are closed once for all and for everyone.

If the problem is with people avoiding PVP and using missions spots as "safe harbors", please set a timer (let's say 2 or 3 minutes) to enter them. Problem solved.  

• Like 1

I have the feeling that, once more, the pvp will screw pve rules.... :angry:

And the funniest part, it will solve nothing for them either.... Looks like a good way to screw one of the few solo features on pvp servers as well.

Oh well, i don't care anymore about you screwing pvp servers, can we have option one on pve server? Thx...

BTW, the correct solution was option one with this added : opening mission if an ennemy actually enter the battle, thus allowing reinforcements to come only if needed.

• Like 5

Ex. US 6 group is trying to escape from another 6 guys and enter mission. Mission is open for 2 minutes and anyone can join (usual OS battle mechanics). After 2 minutes lock battle, but if BR is not even on one team keep it open (5-10 minutes) for that team until BR is equal and then lock battle. This means reinforcements can join weak team during 5-10 minute open window.

Important - once an outsider(other nation players) join mission, cancel and convert mission into a regular battle. Force Mission NPC to disengage and run. 

Group size + open mission timer:

2 Players - Mission open for 25 seconds

3 Players - Mission open for 45 seconds

4 Players - Mission open for 1 minute

5 Players - Mission open for 1.5 minutes

6 Players - Mission open for 2 minutes

Conclusion, when 6 players try to run and jump inside the mission their battle will be open for 2 minutes and will give enemy time to join. 

Timers can be tuned.

• Like 3

Strikes me that to appease the PvP fanatics by solving a problem you are throwing those who want some solo relaxing time under the bus.

And I'm not at all sure there was all that much of a prolem in the first place. I cannot think there were all that many that were gaming the system with fleeing into Admirality Orders mission. And even if there were... so what?! It would appear that in such a case half the people involved didn't want to PvP at that time, so why side the PvPer? Certainly not if it severely cripples the Missions.

As noted, there is no shortage of douchebags intruding on a mission and robbing you of rewards and oft snatching a prize you worked hard at.

This is not siding with the pvper. What was happening before was "Pvp" guys were sailing in an area looking for easy targets. If one of those targets got his friends together to go punish the pvper then the pvper would suddenly vanish into one of his missions and disappear. It was silly and unfair to everyone.

• Like 1

This is not siding with the pvper. What was happening before was "Pvp" guys were sailing in an area looking for easy targets. If one of those targets got his friends together to go punish the pvper then the pvper would suddenly vanish into one of his missions and disappear. It was silly and unfair to everyone.

No less silly or unfair than giving griefers the perfect environment to annoy others on thier own nation without ANY recourse. At least with enemy players you can wait for them to come out again.

Edited by Hexcaliber

Entry for all in missions BUT:

- XP and Creds attributed only to the Player/Group taking the mission. Extra players get zero.

This would eliminate any need to "steal" and retain the ability to chase anyone trying to escape a pursuit.

That is beautiful. Also add that outsiders cant cap a ship if there`s not their mission they entered.

• Like 2

It totally is siding with the PvP crowd.

PvP crowd encounters problem, PvE crowd gets to pay the price as solution. The same thing happened with fleets and it is getting REAL old.

Lookk at the poll. There's an option to cater to the PvP crowd and a compromise option. The returning to the old missions isn't even there!

Edited by Elmarby
  • Like 1