Game-Labs Forum

Upcoming patches this week.

Agreed, this could be a terrible idea. A sizeable portion of the population are likely to jump to whichever is/are the perceived strongest nations. Brits are already over represented due to starting position and being labelled as 'easy' on char creation.

In general I'd like to know what the devs propose to prevent the game ending up with one or two superpowers and hardly anybody playing smaller nations, especially now they're introducing this. Also would like to know how they intend to deal with people exploiting trades to keep all their ships and equipment.

(tbh I'd like to see you scrap shared xp across servers altogether. If people want to play a new faction allow us to have distinct chars on each server with no crossover. Why make this overly complex?)

Thank you, it's nice to know somebody agrees and i'm not totally crazy with my thoughts on this.

well i dont see the point to regrind all your xp if you switch nations... we all agree that grinding is a somewhat necessary evil but you really gain nothing by redoing it... further it remove someone from pvp for quite a while....IMO

well i dont see the point to regrind all your xp if you switch nations... we all agree that grinding is a somewhat necessary evil but you really gain nothing by redoing it... further it remove someone from pvp for quite a while....IMO

The point is that this will actually hurt pvp and the wider game. Many people will jump to whoever they feel is strongest, or if their nation is doing badly just abandon ship rather than fight, especially if there are ways to get around the gold and equipment wipe.

I do not like this new idea for switching sides, i notice it does say temporary so hopefully that is all it is.

I don't like sharing exp either.  Please consider completely separating servers.

And just in case I am misinterpreting.. will this allow me to maintain a pirate on one server and a national on another and when one earns exp so does the other?

OR.. if i delete my character is it deleted across all servers I can just start a new character on any server with the exp i had before I deleted?  So that regardless of server I can only have 1 character belonging to one nation at all times, not 2 different characters on 2 different servers?

When is it coming ? What about abit more XP For high end missions its the same all the way 100 XP

When you get to higher ranks you need over 50000 XP

What about the NPCs that has superpowers they can turn way faster than any others and reload faster and still turn and shoot faster with over 50% Of the crew gone

The crew loss penalty for NPCs is indeed imo a bit bugged. But I can assure you AI do not turn faster and do no reload faster. After playing since the start of OW and sea trials I can assure you your assumptions are based off some form of the placebo effect.

If you're going to add nation switching then you might as well just make the game 1v1 Pirates vs Britain. Someone shouldn't be allowed to switch factions when they are losing. Allow players to make informed decisions before they join a faction. Get rid of the difficulty settings since they are pretty much BS for instance Sweden is set to Very Hard so even fewer people would want to play them making it even harder. 

Information needs to be given on certain things. So that new players are informed.

What Communities/Clans are there: What timezone are the major clans/What language do they speak. I.E. An American player might have a hard time playing on Spain due to Timezone and language barriers.

How many players are there: Some players enjoy playing with massive factions such as Britain/Pirates, while others like having a larger influence and a tighter community such as Sweden.

A map showing the progress of the game: Assuming the game doesn't get too whacky with two nations owning everything. People would be able to make assumptions on who to join 'Wow the Danes/Pirates look action                                                                                    packed.' or 'USA/Britain seems like a fun nation faction to set up my trade empire'

A brief unbiased history of each country's navy: I for one didn't know anything about naval warfare other than U-Boat's in WW2 and US merchant marines during the xyz conflict. Maybe someone who never considered                                                                                              USA as a naval power during this time period might be persuaded.

Probably a bunch of more information you can add but I truely think that players should be given the information to make informed decisions. And as far as I can tell, all factions are good and fun to play (People playing pirates may be confused to learn that it's just another nation except with TK turned on.) And anything that is a clear red flag for someone would be obvious (No one able to speak their native language) allowing them to delete and restart their character before they got too far into the grind process. 

I just don't want people to get the mentality 'Can't beat them, join them.' after they grinded and then got beat by some country just for them to easily switch countries for a easier game.

Edited by Spitzenhund
  • Like 1

As long as players can't change nations quickly enough to use the feature as an easy means to spy, I'm all for it.  (Obviously, some hardcore players will have a second or third account in a different nation to facilitate spying and syphoning off resources, and we can't do anything about that.)

Telling players, "You have to stick with your nation even when your nation is losing and you are no longer having fun" is idiotic. Their response will simply be "Well, screw you, I'll go play something fun where I have a chance to win!" and we'll have lost a player. The concept of "nations" already has enough problems with it:

1) Ports are owned by nations, but have to be fought over by players who have to pay to attack them (in ships and flags) and then do not control the benefits from their capture. Google "free rider problem". NA has a HUGE free rider problem, and under the present rules, it will never go away. We already see players reluctant to buy flags. They just wait for others to do it. How many port battles over the same port will players tolerate when the "winner" of the port is some trader who didn't even fight?

2) Anyone in a given nation can travel anywhere and buy anything within that nation without any fear of loss from "friendly" ships. Hardcore players will almost have to have alt accounts so that they can pool together huge sums of money, transfer that money to their alt in the "enemy" nation, and then go buy all the iron ore, oak and fir they can get their hands on. Denying the enemy their resources is just pathetically simple, and the richest nation should be able to drain the resources from all others.

The nation problems I just listed are inherent to NA's game design. Allowing people to switch nations mitigates these problems at least a bit, and anything that can be done to help that should be done.

As long as players can't change nations quickly enough to use the feature as an easy means to spy, I'm all for it.  (Obviously, some hardcore players will have a second or third account in a different nation to facilitate spying and syphoning off resources, and we can't do anything about that.)

Telling players, "You have to stick with your nation even when your nation is losing and you are no longer having fun" is idiotic. Their response will simply be "Well, screw you, I'll go play something fun where I have a chance to win!" and we'll have lost a player. The concept of "nations" already has enough problems with it:

1) Ports are owned by nations, but have to be fought over by players who have to pay to attack them (in ships and flags) and then do not control the benefits from their capture. Google "free rider problem". NA has a HUGE free rider problem, and under the present rules, it will never go away. We already see players reluctant to buy flags. They just wait for others to do it. How many port battles over the same port will players tolerate when the "winner" of the port is some trader who didn't even fight?

2) Anyone in a given nation can travel anywhere and buy anything within that nation without any fear of loss from "friendly" ships. Hardcore players will almost have to have alt accounts so that they can pool together huge sums of money, transfer that money to their alt in the "enemy" nation, and then go buy all the iron ore, oak and fir they can get their hands on. Denying the enemy their resources is just pathetically simple, and the richest nation should be able to drain the resources from all others.

The nation problems I just listed are inherent to NA's game design. Allowing people to switch nations mitigates these problems at least a bit, and anything that can be done to help that should be done.

I'm not seeing the logic how any of those 2 problems are at all affected by players being able to switch nations. Besides the 1st problem is solved by the fact most flags at least in the US are bought by TF or TDA who don't mind the 'free riders'. And problem number 2 requires large amounts of people. You are going to run into the problem of people spilling the beans to the devs and banning accounts for stuff like that.

6) Number of NPC fleets near capitals will be reduced significantly to reduce pulling into battles. Those bot routes will be reallocated to free towns and regional centers.

Already got to sit 20 minutes in front of the capital to finally encounter a fleet, what is it going to be now ? :/

• Like 1

Is there any truth to a impending server wipe? I am being told 3-4 days ago in a stream that the Devs said they were planning to wipe the server because of a couple exploits, they wanted to change how the map worked, and they were going to change pirates so they could only raid and give them a certain amount of uncapturable ports. Is there any truth to this rumor?

edit - Before a lot of people post, yes I am aware the Devs said before EA no more wipes. Tons of people are saying they said this a couple days ago on a stream so this is more recent than that and things do change.

Also its also being said that several pirate clans found a exploit where they could create a Buy Order for Rudders for 1.2m gold each. They then could sell Rudders to buy orders and even thought he character didnt have the money it would complete thus creating 100s of millions out of thin air. I am told this was hotpatched out of the game which is good. I am also told you reduced the pirates gold to 5m. 5m is still a lot when starting out. Your average player doesn't have 5m right now only advanced or experienced players. Will you come up with better ways to fix/repair exploits when they happen? It is my understanding a ton of pirates are at 5m gold right now.

Edited by Frost

Nation switching could go both ways. People can now more easily switch to a low pop nation for the challenge. Just how low pop are the nations anyways? Sweden should go fairly strong with the Germans having chosen it as theirs, Denmark with the Russians, France with the French and USA USA and spain for eapana, that leaves us just with the Dutch, right?

Hello Everyone,

The upcoming systems seems reasonable since nation switching was happening at that historical period as well but I think these changes should come with some encouragement to switch to lower population nations and staying with your nation. Some system of rewards for representing a low population faction and reward system for loyalty to the faction. Say like 5% - 10% discount in markets if you are loyal to the faction for a long period of time or extra gold for doing faction related things or even weekly wages in gold for your long service. Something similar could be done for representing a small faction. Now these are but examples, tho I think you should stop people form abusing switching factions not by taking away something they have, but by taking away bonuses they get from a nation. Country factions could represent the role they had in that era via bonuses aswell. Pirates getting better prices for stolen goods and ships, British getting better gold for combat, nations that were more trading then fighting getting a bit more money for trading. IMO that should even out populations in factions even if just a little and encourage people to be loyal to the faction at the same time letting them switch if they truly want to do so.

Best,

Dande.

• Like 1

Is there any truth to a impending server wipe? I am being told 3-4 days ago in a stream that the Devs said they were planning to wipe the server because of a couple exploits, they wanted to change how the map worked, and they were going to change pirates so they could only raid and give them a certain amount of uncapturable ports. Is there any truth to this rumor?

edit - Before a lot of people post, yes I am aware the Devs said before EA no more wipes. Tons of people are saying they said this a couple days ago on a stream so this is more recent than that and things do change.

Also its also being said that several pirate clans found a exploit where they could create a Buy Order for Rudders for 1.2m gold each. They then could sell Rudders to buy orders and even thought he character didnt have the money it would complete thus creating 100s of millions out of thin air. I am told this was hotpatched out of the game which is good. I am also told you reduced the pirates gold to 5m. 5m is still a lot when starting out. Your average player doesn't have 5m right now only advanced or experienced players. Will you come up with better ways to fix/repair exploits when they happen? It is my understanding a ton of pirates are at 5m gold right now.

If true that would seriously dent my faith in the integrity of the devs. You cannot allow people to profit to that level from an exploit, even in a testing phase. It would confer a huge advantage and really kills my desire to engage in open world pvp vs pirates. Anybody abusing an exploit, rather than reporting it and moving on, needs to have their gold and possibly xp reset.

Nation switching could go both ways. People can now more easily switch to a low pop nation for the challenge.

It's always far outweighed by those who go for the easy ride.

Edited by Ratline

Can I just confirm im reading this right? I am A pirate, and want to change to the Dutch. I delete my char (after the update of course) and make a new 'Dutch' character, I will loose all my gold/ships but start a new with my XP still intact? If so that is wonderful news indeed! I was very near to re-rolling and being that im at rank 'Raider' I was felling a little hard done by! So really fantastic news if this is the case

As far as it seems, everything besides player xp will be deleted.

So what if it wanted to be a pirate, would i be better off doing the normal pirate thing and attacking. It would be better to allow to transfer crafted xp if no ships or gold is transferred then how will i gain gold if i only have high level missions. I think they need to include crafted xp before nation changing is allowed.

Or increase crafting Xp

What about my Clan to? I  think the Nation swap needs more testing and thinking about.

Edited by ironhammer500