Game-Labs Forum

Lose XP and Gold for friendly fire?

I had a player from my nation jump into my battle the other day to "help".

They thought it was as much fun to shoot at me as it was to shoot the enemy. This obviously screwed up my battle. I am not sure if this problem is widespread. If there was a cost to friendly fire this behavior would be discouraged.

This is patently against the rules.  If you have screenshots of this action, please submit them to a new Tribunal thread.  If not, get screenshots next time and the offender will find themselves starting at 0xp.

I didn't and I should have.

All in all, while this will still occur, I think it'd be nice to lose XP equal to what you would gain had you shot an opposing ship...would diminish it a little bit.

Yeah, if you show negative gold and XP after a battle the problem would go away.

Yeah, if you show negative gold and XP after a battle the problem would go away.

I'd still probably set the gold/XP at the end of a battle at minimum 0, not negative.  Ship repair costs for anything except a cutter/yacht will be the only negative.  Friendly fire does sometimes happen by accident, as do collisions (especially when trying to sail in a formation, as they did in real life).  I wouldn't automatically revert people to 0 XP for it, unless it was maybe blatantly obvious.  I have personally been known to accidentally fire through part of a friendly's rigging or not notice them coming in between me and an enemy in an opposite direction and the latter part of my broadside hits them instead of the enemy.  Then there's also the overshoots that hit a friendly on the other side.  It can happen legitimately.  I try apologizing as able during a battle and move on, but then the few times I have done that, it was obviously accidental and at close quarters.  Even so, I would be okay with some penalty in gold/xp accrued for the battle, but a negative amount might be a bit harsh.