Game-Labs Forum

The Rock-Paper-Scissors of boarding.

I think boarding is only Brace and Deckguns, ocassionally trying to foo lcomputer in for attack that he wont defend like in that picture AI uses Deck guns against Attack.

After i have moved to bigger ships i want revert my comment and state boarding actually has its uses on attack too. But i still dont know why i should use muskets or granades.

I didnt understand that i need more preparation to use skills at the last seconds, now i can fool  AI to defend and at last second change to Deckfire and he will then at next turn have Defend on cooldown andi cant attack against hes brace. This way i can two shot most traders now. And 0 morale does make enemy give up, but you need to do attack move for them to give up.

Also Deckfire does trump against attack so i always try to time my attacks when enemy Deck fire is on CD.

Edited by James Thomson

Deckguns effect is based on the ships weatherguns, the more guns and higher caliber the higher firepower you get.

Brace works good against all ranged attack, but get nuked by a Melee Attack

Defend is a good counter against attack if both ships have about the same crew, the lesser the crew the lesser the effect, sometimes deckguns will kill more crew then defend in a case of an attack, buts also ship depending

Muskets are a counter against deckguns, and attack. if you use them against deckguns you should exspect a huge chunk of casulties.

fire grenades are wothless, they work against attack quite good but otherwise they are a waste of coding. even with mods they are not very strong.

Dont forget if you attack a bigger ship your attacks will be less potent against its crew, boarding ladders can help to reduce that negative effect

Morales influence, the moral determines the point of giving up, if it hits 0 then you won the ship, this should speedup boarding you have a bigger ship.

MODS: there are 2 types of bording that will result in a high attack, Deckguns and Muskets, or Melee (attack)

Marines will incrace your boardingcrew but incrasing your cannonreloadtime

Manuels for swordfighting incrases your melee attack, boardingaxes will reduce the disengagetime

there are aslo manuels for deckguns and muskets.

• Like 1

Deckguns effect is based on the ships weatherguns, the more guns and higher caliber the higher firepower you get.

Brace works good against all ranged attack, but get nuked by a Melee Attack

Defend is a good counter against attack if both ships have about the same crew, the lesser the crew the lesser the effect, sometimes deckguns will kill more crew then defend in a case of an attack, buts also ship depending

Muskets are a counter against deckguns, and attack. if you use them against deckguns you should exspect a huge chunk of casulties.

fire grenades are wothless, they work against attack quite good but otherwise they are a waste of coding. even with mods they are not very strong.

Dont forget if you attack a bigger ship your attacks will be less potent against its crew, boarding ladders can help to reduce that negative effect

Morales influence, the moral determines the point of giving up, if it hits 0 then you won the ship, this should speedup boarding you have a bigger ship.

MODS: there are 2 types of bording that will result in a high attack, Deckguns and Muskets, or Melee (attack)

Marines will incrace your boardingcrew but incrasing your cannonreloadtime

Manuels for swordfighting incrases your melee attack, boardingaxes will reduce the disengagetime

there are aslo manuels for deckguns and muskets.

I find attack is the counter to grenades or is it just me? which should be logical as you are prepping grenades and are vulnerable to attack!  Also grenades seem to have an effect against Brace and Defend If I can time it right but the Ai seems to have an advantage on timing changes IMO any help would be appreciated.

Edited by _X_Apophis_X_

• 2 weeks later...

Against Defend, you mean? Fire Grenades vs Attack is suicide, since Attack is the hard counter against Fire Grenades. The only times when Fire Grenades is worth using are against Brace and against Defend, and against Brace it is only moderately useful.

zEXQAz4.png

Boarded a Navybrig AI in my mercury, 138 crew vs his 152 crew.

Upgrades: exceptional marines, boarding parties, common swordfighting handbooks. My lower crew is due to having boarded the trader brig first, taking it out with a simple 1-2 fire deck guns attack.

The only mistake here is obviously attacking into fire deck guns. All the other engagements went very poorly for him.

So Grenades are weak against brace. Deck guns are weak against brace, very strong against attack, moderately good against Defend

Attack is strong against brace and fire deck guns.

Interesting that your attack fire deck guns of a third rate causes as much casualties as my attack into a Navybrig. That skill really seems to get worse and worse the less important the top deck is.

and fire grenades is hilarious.

Edited by Quineloe

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, van der Decken said:

Has anyone edited the RPS image to boarding lately?

This?

It was made from dev info and we haven't been told about any changes, so I assume it's still valid. Mods have changed quite a bit since then so I'm sure it can feel different depending on books and mods.