Game-Labs Forum

Requested Features and Recommendations

• Strong focus on Multiplayer so that battles on the scale of Trafalgar can be recreated (74 ships/players), as well as smaller naval battles like the Battle of Lake Erie.
  • Control battle setup so that variable factors can be determined by players for a particular battle.
    • Ship selection (important for recreating historic battles or creating equal battles for squadron/clan competition.
    • Weather.
    • Wind.
    • Seas.
    • Number of squadrons included.
    • Distance between squadrons before battle.
    • Ability to place players in their respective squadons or fleets.
    • Cannon reloading timing.
    • Sail setting timing.
    • Shot type.
  • Strong physics component to game so that wind, sails, and seas play realistic role. (avoid ETW NTW naval debacles with no real physics).
  • Strong recommendation that Developers obtain original Age of Sail II (not Privateers Bounty, but original AoSII) game that was developed by Akella with most up to date revision for example of best age of sail naval combat game ever made.
  • Avoid use of economies, crafting, or pirates (privateers would be preferable and more historic) or at minimum allow players to not use those features. The use of these for many players destroys game immersion for those interested in the naval component of game.
  • Most important features are Multiplayer and the Ability to Control Battle Setup by players.

These are a few of my suggestions, what do others have who are interested in age of sail naval combat.

• Like 4

• Avoid use of economies, crafting, or pirates, or at minimum allow players to not use those features.  The use of these for many players destroys game immersion for those interested in the naval component of game.
  • Most important features are Multiplayer and the Ability to Control Battle Setup by players.

u didnt noticed this ?

Our current priorities are combat and core systems, render development and tools programming.

Further steps include:

• Open world gameplay
  • Player Guilds, Companies and Global Conquest
  • Crafting and Trading
  • Guild owned ports and villages
  • In-depth exploration

Developers writed that open world and crafting and trading will be key feature. So maybe u should rethink yours wishes.

u didnt noticed this ?

Developers writed that open world and crafting and trading will be key feature. So maybe u should rethink yours wishes.

people who don't want to craft and trade will be able to just fight without thinking about trading and crafting.

moreover as we are now working only on combat they will actually experience the game first :)

• Like 2

people who don't want to craft and trade will be able to just fight without thinking about trading and crafting.

moreover as we are now working only on combat they will actually experience the game first :)

That is very good news. 

This will contribute to the lifetime of this game. As you know all open world games in this style peak quickly and than slip into cruel death. This happens as people burn out on the grinding and crafting, clans come and go, and late newbies are discouraged by the clans and the enormous task to get on on par. This in contrast to being able to just do a quick battle without tons of time invested in trade and other stuff, or without being forced to join a clan, which would make this game last for a long time. If AOSII would be possible to run on my present system and Windows 7 I would surely still play that 12 year old game (even with the many bugs).

• Like 1

The Sea Lords is a group still wanting a naval combat simulator 15 years after Age of Sail II. Dozens of MMOs and pirate games have come and gone since then, dying into obscurity. A strong committed wargamer group has been waiting more than a decade for a fleet or squadron combat sim. Supply that with the attention to detail games like Rise of Flight and IL-2 have rightly become famous for (alongside your MMO crafting pirate world) and keep it updated with bug fixes and listening to the player inputs and I promise you, you'll have a community that supports this game for years, long, long after the pirate players have moved on to something else... or maybe after they've joined our ranks and are enjoying Nelsonian level epic sea battles.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

First off I must say it's about time someone made a decent naval action game and from what I've seen so far it looks really excellent.

My features/requests can be summed up quite neatly by "Virtual Skipper 4 with guns!".

Virtual Skipper had noob help assists for those like me who know nothing about tweaking the tension of the sails etc; you just selected the right sails for the situation and angled your yacht to the wind.  I think this is just the right level of detail to pitch things at.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I like the idea of this game.  I personally would like to see it kept simple for us old gamers.  Battle Pirates is my favorite online game even with all the glitches.  Minimal stuff to research and it is just very easy to jump right into the game unlike Pirates, Tides of Fortune.  I just want to sink ships and bases or ports not worry about trading, wind or moral.

I couldn't agree more with digby. I modded ntw's sea battles so ship speed, turning radious, and damage was more realistic. I increased hull damage by nearly 400% and the game was decent BUT AS SOON AS YOU SAILED TO WHERE YOU SELECTED YOUR SHIPS TO GO, THEY QUICKLY UNFURLED THE MASTS AND IMMEDIATELY STOPPED. What a waste of time. No drift at all. Please offer us the opportunity of battles/historical battles. I really have no interest in an mmo (no offense to anyone). If you had preset battles at somewhat close quarters then this game could be fascinating.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Question: This is solely directed at the Dev's and their future plans.....

Will it be possible to run a standalone battle, unrelated to the world, a form of MP Sea Battle only...allowing two groups of players (or more) to select from the vast array of vessels you offer, select nationality, weather conditions and map?

For my part and those within my clan, this would not only be an invaluable training aid but would also increase its appeal and sell-ability for those who dont necessarily want to get involved in the sandbox mode, but would rather use the combat engine as a stand alone.

• Like 4

Something like the skirmish option from POTBS would be great. I've been arguing for ages in the testing forum for an open sea instances with no combat so people can get the hang of manual tacking. But so far there is only PVP and the PVE instances. 

We also suggested this to the devs in the French speaking NA forum: a higly realistic solo player option (or even multi-player), not connected to the sandbox, ideally with a possibility to replay historic battles (same coast (if any), same weather, same ships, same starting fleet configuration/localisation, etc.)  would be very attractive to those 'hardcore sim'/history fans (like me and others ;-)). For example, this option would allow a more realistic communication model (with signals, instructions, etc.), squadron/fleet structure, possibility to edit missions with available intelligence (fleet/single ship actions, chase, blockade, amphibious operations against forts, etc.), etc.

Maybe next year ?

• Like 1

As I am almost always lacking in stable internets I am definitely looking forward to the prospect of a single player experience.

In truth I pre-ordered without any expectation of getting to play for quite some time. I just loved the idea that somebody out there was making a sailing game where the business of sailing actually mattered. That's a tremendous selling point for me as it is, though obviously I'd be very glad to get some enjoyment out of my investment as well.

I sure hope so. 

I want PVE and PVP battles without need for the campaign.

I am hoping for scenario based PVP/PVE....

I aint got time to bleed (that was for Admin)

No really. If the open world turns out to be too involved and time consuming that is all I will be playing.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to cast my vote for single player mode as well. Generally I have shied away from all multiplayer modes, as by the time you get to the game, there are people who are just too skilled, and it gets discouraging getting killed every time.

I understand that in order to get good, you need to be challenged, but the internet being as vast as it is, open multiplayer to people who have more time on their hands to get skilled.

So, please give us a single player mode so we can play at our own level.