Game-Labs Forum

Pirate Mechanics Vote

985 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pirates be able to capture ports, and if not, should they be able to raid instead?

• Port Capture Only.
    • Raiding Only.
    • No Port Capture or Raids.
  2. 2. Should Pirate crafting exclude 1st Rates (Santisima, Le Océan etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  3. 3. Should Pirate crafting exclude 2nd Rates (Pavel etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  4. 4. Should Pirate crafting exclude 3rd Rates (Bellona etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  5. 5. Should Pirate crafting exclude 4th Rates (Ingermanland etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  6. 6. Should Pirate crafting exclude 5th Rates (Frigate, Belle Poule etc)?

• Yes.
    • No.

Pirates should not be excluded from anything, and should be allowed to be a major power if the players playing the faction are better and more skilled than the other factions. To be arbitrarily limited because the other factions don't have good players is moronic.

I challenge any pirate to a fair, even duel, and we can see who wins.  Since we are in small ships, lets do a fore-and-aft vessel duel.  We can even do a best out of 3 or 5 to be sure.  I would wager that most TDA members would have similar results.  And once Leviathan gets back into the swing of things, I'd wager all my in game gold that he would win the majority of the time.  This has nothing to do with skill.  This has to do with unique gameplay for pirates.

Why do pirates think that just because they can swarm people it means they are skilled?  Same goes with another nation.

I think Pirates should have a mix of restrictions and advantages that make them unique, fun to play, but ultimately not overly appealing to anyone but a diehard.  Pirates should never be the largest/most powerful faction due to pop culture popularity.  Also, if they can't take ports, then their own ports should be excluded from capture by the other factions.

• Like 8

Being a pirate myself, I joined because it was supposed to be the "hardest" where everyone hunted you and it was for the more "hard core" of players. This turned into an absolute 180 of what it was supposed to be. It's the most care bear, lovey dovey group in the game, and its making a mockery of what piracy is supposed to be about. Pop culture favoritism shouldn't make the pirate faction the biggest and easiest, skilled and cunning decisions, combat, and tactics by a smaller group of players on a pirate faction is what should make them scary, coupled with unique abilities and unique mechanics the other nations don't get.

If you want to work together as a large team, then play as the Nationals. Atm most people are choosing pirates simply because they want to be dubbed as a "pirate" but very few want to actually Play as a pirate.  Huge difference, and I honestly don't care if makes half the pirate population change sides. Piracy should be difficult, requiring cunning tactics, a quick thinking mind, and some devious skulduggery to get by, and if a group of pirates becomes a terror of the seven sea's, then it becomes a real situation of real piracy, by skilled players.

• Like 6

Everyone's opinion is like pirates should run from navy(me) vessels like in real life and shouldn't have the numbers but in this game they do have the numbers so they can and will do whatever they want(like Brits). If pirates have more ships than you in battle then they should take your port and your ships. That is life. Brutal.

• Like 1

Pirates should not be able to build anything above 3rd rates, 4,5,6 is pushing it but 1-2st rates required ALOT of manpower to field and ALOT of resources to construct. Instead pirates should be able to freely capture ships whose crews have surrendered or have been decimated (Including 1/2nd rates if the person goes solo). Leaving nationals with restricted piracy but having access to the best lineships and keeping both sides unique.

With all this in mind pirates should be able to freely capture and raid ports. The balancing aspect here is that they have a restricted arsenal of ships vs. the nationals so all the more to them if they manage to capture a port.

Most of these suggestions are from my days of playing PoTBS, i quite enjoyed the balance between pirates/nationals in that game. I remember at one point players using 1/2nd rates solo would get hounded by pirates and have their ships captured because they were so rare.

Pirates should not be able to build anything above 3rd rates, 4,5,6 is pushing it but 1-2st rates required ALOT of manpower to field and ALOT of resources to construct. Instead pirates should be able to freely capture ships whose crews have surrendered or have been decimated (Including 1/2nd rates if the person goes solo). Leaving nationals with restricted piracy but having access to the best lineships and keeping both sides unique.

I vote that we remove first rates from every nation that never had one inside of the Caribbean, that would only be fair if it got removed from Pirates simply because it's historical.

• Like 1

I would vote on this but i feel a option is missing from the first question. I'd like to see pirates that can both raid and capture ports. In fact i think all nations should be able to raid an enemy port so as to halt production and impact there economy etc etc. Winning wars isn't all about who owns what territory but about how much control you have over a situation. The best way to control a situation is through options that allow you to keep your enemy on the back foot. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

This is a simple vote, asking two main questions. Pirate Port Capture/Raiding and Pirate Crafting. I have set out the questions so that it will be very easy to determine as a community, where to draw the theoretical line.

Yes, Pirates would still be able to obtain SOL's (through capture and trading). Yes, a Pirate could make another account and use it as a crafter. However, it would make the appearance of SOL's for Pirates a much rarer thing, as well as increase the value of it to the faction.

I'm sorry, but this thread has gotten way off topic from the poll and I'd like to bring it back.  OP: where do you get off even posting a poll like this? Why should pirates, who begin the game already at a severe disadvantage, be nerfed into the ground with your ridiculous suggestions? What even made you think any of this was a cool idea?

I demand an explanation for why you think that players who clicked on 'pirates' as their faction deserve to have the key features of Port Capture and Crafting removed from the game for them.  This entire thread is akin to saying that players who rolled Horde in WoW don't get to do world PvP and they don't get to craft any of the raid armor recipes because they picked Horde. And in Naval Action, we're talking about the only faction who also has to worry about infighting.  Absolutely ridiculous. You have also not offered any reason related to the current game mechanics as to why they should be implemented, other than the fact that you seem to think so. 

I bet you haven't even played the pirate faction, because if you did you'd see how ridiculous this sounds. Please offer an explanation if you expect any sensible player to want to go along with these.

​tl;dr Why should pirates receive these nerfs?

Edited by Zermonth
  • Like 1

Why don't the Taliban get ICBMs?

Why don't the Zulus get artillery too?

Why do the Soviets get so many more troops than Finland?

How come Robin Hood can't build his own castle and levy his own taxes?

but they also used much more crew and where much more experienced in fighting than normal sailors.

Uh, pirates were normal sailors.

• Like 6

I'm going to explain my vote concerning crafting and hope that the players understand why I voted the way I did.

I said no to everything except fourth and fifth rates. I'm a former PotBS player and I spent a year or more playing as a Pirate on the Antigua server. Most heavy rated ships helmed by Pirate players in that game ended up being in the carebear fleets, continually grinding cash and xp, or forming a six man backbone in port battles. On rare occasion, you'd see a captured third rate (Cannonball Apollo anyone?), or the refitted fourth rate Hyperion being used for pvp, but they rarely made a major impact in either of these roles. That being covered, the mainstay of Pirate ships were fifth rated vessels or smaller. Pirate players loved their refits and captured refits more than any other nation I believe. Red Devil xebecs, Cursed Blade, Bloody Dagger, and privateer Vengeance frigates, the super frigate Hercules variants, and even the privateer refitted Indiamen.

I'm personally against the Pirate faction being able to craft anything above a 5th rate, but I can accede to the notion of them being able to craft 4th rates as a compromise. Anything larger, however, should be restricted to capture and refitting for personal use.

In response to Zermonth's outraged response, the devs made it clear when they set out to create this game that being a Pirate meant you were part of a faction, NOT a nation. Meaning you don't get the same benefits as a nation would, which I would venture to assume covered the RvR and crafting aspect. Being a pirate meant you were outlaws, vagabonds, scoundrels and all the dregs of society. Pirates are not meant to be united under one banner, hence being able to attack and sink one another at will. Being a pirate here is meant to be the equivalent of "hardcore mode", and there are a few players who have accepted and embraced that mentality, and their names can be readily recognized by the pre-release tester community.

God forbid we have a horde of "Jack Sparrow" wannabes running around in large rates attacking AI fleets instead of using them to incite fear across the Caribbean.

• Like 5

How about letting the devs create their game. Listening to the nerf crying player base is what ruined POTBS and ultimately destroyed the games population. I trust the devs own personal judgement over any of you.

Funny, I remember the PotBS community incessantly whining about no SoLs for rats and privateers.

Seems like the devs want to pre-empt the crying.

• Like 2

ps. Henry Morgan captured how many .. 14 towns? If i was him i would leave all those towns including Havana for myself. And fight the brits like the founding fathers.

Nations should eliminate piracy not by voting, but by fighting.

Crush their ports, drive them before you, capture their resources, and hear lamentations of their leaders in chat.

Voting is a more modern mechanic. In the age of sail you could settle a dispute just by sticking the sword in the enemy's eye.

Capture all pirate ports and they will sail brigs and cerberuses, as you cannot craft from Mortimer town only

• Like 10

Nations should eliminate piracy not by voting, but by fighting.

In what universe is this ever going to happen? Just because some national players are irritated by Johnny Depp? Pirates are the second biggest faction and have all the abilities of nations.

You have designed the game specifically so that pirates will be one of the most powerful factions, and will take over much of the Caribbean. There is no grand experiment at work here; it is inevitable. Just as so many people on the forum warned against over more than a year of development.

From day one, pirates are stronger than two different global empires and two European empires, and the nations are supposed to arrive at a historical result by Quixotically attempting to suppress piracy amidst a seven-sided war?

• Like 7

As long as pirates have the same abilities as other nations, it will be impossible for them to be overcome, especially when it comes to obtaining ports.  Take away their ability to own a port (other than the ones they claim naturally), and you make it much harder for them to defend their own when dedicated nations come to claim theirs.

• Like 1

Henry Morgan wasn´t a pirate. Just sayin...

He was a buccaneer, which was technically a pirate.  Sir Francis Drake was a pirate as well, technically speaking.  Just because they were English didn't mean that they couldn't be pirates.

In what universe is this ever going to happen? Just because some national players are irritated by Johnny Depp? Pirates are the second biggest faction and have all the abilities of nations.

You have designed the game specifically so that pirates will be one of the most powerful factions, and will take over much of the Caribbean. There is no grand experiment at work here; it is inevitable. Just as so many people on the forum warned against over more than a year of development.

From day one, pirates are stronger than two different global empires and two European empires, and the nations are supposed to arrive at a historical result by Quixotically attempting to suppress piracy amidst a seven-sided war?

We have designed the sandbox. 

Perhaps you should not tell others how they should play and what they can or cannot do.

Pirates have decided to unite. You are experiencing an alternative history on the PvP 1. Pirates united and decided to become a country.

You don't like it? you can change it it. Britain is a lot bigger than pirates. Britain and Spain together can do it. Become a hero lead the armies and crush the resistance.

• Like 5

He was a buccaneer, which was technically a pirate.  Sir Francis Drake was a pirate as well, technically speaking.  Just because they were English didn't mean that they couldn't be pirates.

Henry Morgan conquered towns when he was a colonial governor gone rogue.

So his actions may have been piracy, but he started out with all the political and economic power of a national leader.

And he didn't hold the towns he took for the blindingly obvious reasons that doing so was impossible.

Perhaps you should not tell others how they should play and what they can or cannot do.

Right, because that was your job. Apparently Naval Action is going to be even closer to the fantasy genre than PotBS. On balance, I'd rather have the Aztec ghosts.

But I guess there's no sense crying over spilled milk.

• Like 1

if we're limiting pirate ships shouldn't we be limiting the US to the constitution? Pretty sure it was the flagship and the heaviest frigate we built. non historical bias just means someone got outplayed in pvp and is crying about it. All the factions could band together to try to suppress piracy. >.>

Edited by Dalriaden