Game-Labs Forum

Linking forum account to game key...

I was browsing the forums and came across post after post by "member" titles, with the occasional dev, admin, or moderator sprinkled in. His got me thinking...linking a forum account to a game key could allow some nice features to be added. In this case, addition of a selectable member group for alpha and beta testers. "Selectable" meaning that if the player belongs to multiple groups, they should have the option of choosing which group is displayed. This would require the registration of the game key to the forum account. I imagine when NA goes public that it would be nice to be able to give those who aided development some small bit of recognition, if they elect to display it. But registering a game key on the forums got me thinking of some other goodies, listed below.

• As mentioned above, a forum group for alpha and beta testers could be added (and options for choosing which of the groups to which you belong is publicly visible).
  • Some sort of in-game character information (name, clan, rank, location, ship, etc) viewable in the profile/signature of posts. If this is implemented, the public information should also be completely customizable.
  • Removal of the 5-post moderator approval period for registered accounts
  • Some publicly visible icon, badge, text, etc stating the player has registered their copy -- either under ther forum group or inside their profile itself. I personally prefer the latter to help keep the appearance of threads clean.
The list does go on and on, and these are just ideas I had while driving to work this mornin.. I don't see why attaching alpha/beta tags to a game key couldn't be a retroactive feature either -- simply put, an accounting department should have no trouble tracking down when a key was distributed, checking the alpha and beta periods, and assigning a 4-bit flag accordingly (0=unregistered, 1=alpha, 2=beta, 3=post-release).

This forum software does potentially support that - just look at the Wargaming forums.

For now, it's early Alpha, and niceties like that don't really have a lot of priority over core game mechanics.  It's a great suggestion in general and one to keep in mind as the game progresses.  Thanks for posting!