Game-Labs Forum

Naval Action Voice commands!

Would I have to? Im not demanding payment for it tho? Ill shoot them an email. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Cant find an email address. If anyone finds it please pass it on to me :)

2nd Edit: found it.

It is better to be safe than sorry, any sound files or samples taken from games, films, television are covered by their copyright and using them elsewhere opens you up to prosecution. Generally it doesnt get that far, unless there are contractual agreements covering specific voice actors or pieces of music. More often than not the modder is asked to take them down or face prosecution, often the same companies are happy to grant permission if asked first.

I only mention it as several years ago I was contacted by lawyers acting for Jeffrey productions Inc and asked to take down audio I ripped from "Run silent Run deep" for inclusion in a Silent Hunter 4 mod. I was more than a little annoyed when a short time later someone else released a near identical sound mod, he even used the name of the film for its title. There was no way of knowing who reported me or why, his release could well have been a coincidence it was a fairly obvious choice for a sound mod for that game.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using Voice Attack since shortly after the OW was released.  I love it!  I still need to update my commands to match the most recent UI, and I'd love to compare and see what commands you are using.  One of my biggest issues is forgetting the specific phrase used for a command, ie "port guns load single" vs "port guns load single shot" vs "port side load single".  For the commands I screw up most often, I actually put several different ways to issue the same command.  Very helpful.

I actually wish the devs would add a feature to "neutral" the yards on a mast, so they turn parallel to the wind and continue to track as the ship turns (like auto-sails).  This would make it much easier to set up combined commands for tacking, wearing, and other maneuvers.

Prince of Whales, Could you share your updated profiles please?

The double shot options are removed in the provided download links. With the upcoming patch and crew focus changes the profile will have to be changed a lot. Ill get back to it in late march. Real life is currently in the way.

The double shot options are removed in the provided download links. With the upcoming patch and crew focus changes the profile will have to be changed a lot. Ill get back to it in late march. Real life is currently in the way.

• Like 1

First off: Thank you for this great find! As I saw this post, I immediately tried and then purchased the software and made my own nice small set of commands in my native language - German. :-)

Now that brings me to my question: Has anyone had a positive feedback of Creative Assembly yet, in terms of using the sounds? I'm asking because I had the same idea and the German sounds are perfect, very detailed and cover pretty much every command, thus I'm using it. And of course I'd love to share the config file WITH these sounds for the Germans here, not only my file. So if anyone received a feedback of the NTW devs yet, please let me know, so I can ask them as well. :-)

• Like 1

It is great that other people have an interest in this aswell. Keep at it :)

As for Creative Labs and Sega, I havent gotten a reply and as far as I know Jacob hasnt either. Untill I get back to the project I will keep the total war pack hidden. If they do not reply until then I will probably make it available again. Feel free to contact them aswell, they might reply to you. No harm in trying. Fair winds and calm seas capn's.

It is great that other people have an interest in this aswell. Keep at it :)

As for Creative Labs and Sega, I havent gotten a reply and as far as I know Jacob hasnt either. Untill I get back to the project I will keep the total war pack hidden. If they do not reply until then I will probably make it available again. Feel free to contact them aswell, they might reply to you. No harm in trying. Fair winds and calm seas capn's.

True, sadly i Didn't recieved a reply yet from Creative Assembly and Sega aswel, it appears that they are not bothered by it, i guess?

A simply blunt yes or no would have been enough, but nothing!?

The fact is whe do not asking/earning any money from it, and it is purely for private use. Personally i don't see any harm in using it, or the free distribution among a select group of people who use voice attack?

But i leave it up to shavedAlpaca, because he is the founder of this thread. And i personally want to keep everything related to his voice attack profile centralized on this thread, purely to prevent cluttering the forum's.

Again thanks for providing us a very good voiceattack profile!

And combined with the command voicefeedback from Napoleon Total war sounds it makes a very immersive experience for me.

I have made a dutch command voicefeedback aswel voor verenigde provinciën, i can only give english commands (english speech to text) wich is a bit of a bummer :(.

I can't find "dutch speech to text" to give dutch commands.

On a different topic;

I really like to see more keybinds to functions ingame to give voice attack a better functionality

For an example;

• whe have already got key for Battle sails, give every (stop, dead slow, slow, half, full) a key?

• give rudder to midship a key (i counter this in "VA" with tapping [A][D] shortly)

Just keep the current keybinds wich are fine, but whe have a lot keys unused wich could binded to these or more function without harming the current keybind layout?

Edited by Jacob van Heemskerck

Jacob, If im not mistaken it would be fairly easy (but a bit time consuming) to put in commands for specific sail settings. The sail setting has an integer value linked to it so it is aware of the current position of the sails. This prevents from depowering if youre already depowered and it also keeps track of the buttons pressed. Soooo, you could just put in something along the lines of:
Command: Sails Dead Slow
The value for dead slow is 1.

So, check integer if 5, press S 4 times.

if 4 press 3

and so on.
Ill add it to my notes and put that in when I start working on this again.

Like I said, if Sega or Ca dont reply in the next 2 or 3 weeks Im putting the link back up. I made an effort to contact them and since its a free product and I own the original source of the files, I think we're fairly safe.

• Like 1

And there is the problem... Unfortunately, copyright law does not say "When the party you attempt to ask for permission does not reply, it automatically means they said yes". :-) So technically you still don't have permission to use it and I guess could thus get in trouble with the forum owners here or CA. However.. could... could... as I tend to agree with you guys and will probably take the risk myself and put my German version + sounds here as well.

About the AD tapping: You can make midships command much easier! I simply used not double-issue A or D to turn until I stop, but I used the VA function "press and hold" A or D! Then I have the extra command "MIDHIPS!" to my first mate, and that command basically just contains "release A and release D". :-) That way I will turn for as long as I want until I shout "MIDSHIPS!" and yet I don't have the double tap issue! :-)

Regarding the sail position: Please please make that! I don't fully understand it and haven't played with VA that much yet, but I would love that function in to call out for every single sail! I have done that already with the "depower" command already, when I say the German word for it - "Stagsegel reffen!" it drops it - depowers, and vice versa with "Stagsegel setzen!".

Edited by Francis Williams

Yes I use this for other games, it is great and simple to write operating conditions for it. I have noticed it does tend to interfere with text typing. Although this application with voice acting can greatly enhance immersion in a game it does have one more noble application. It allows access to games to severely disabled people. Linked with eye/head monitoring software and soon VR a paraplegic person could play this game. Think what effect that could have on someone's quality of life? At the moment this game is not so adaptable due to the limited number of key-mapped commands and I have already made a forum suggestion to expand them and separate rotating commands with single key presses, (sails [w], targeting [r] and fire method [v]). I see from the responses you are already working on that which is fantastic, help from the development team would be a bonus.

Thanks to Shaved Alpaca for starting this and everyone who is getting involved

Lisa  Swims with Sharks

Edited by Lisa-Azra

• 1 month later...

Greetings one and all, I am back in the saddle and you can expect an updated Profile set at the end of this weekend.

It will include crew managment updates with a memory as to what is active and what is not, mortar aiming and more.

Still looking for Voice Actors if you want to help  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I use voiceattack in Elite Dangerous, to good effect, but honestly, I don't recommend using it.

The main problem is that you get too dependent on it and find you can't play the game without it.  Stick to using the keys guys so they become second nature and you can play NA on any PC.

• Like 1