Game-Labs Forum

Naval Action Voice commands!

Ahoy Captains!

Have you ever felt that keyboards and all the button pressing break your immersion?

Do you want a better* way of controling your vessel?

Do you like giving out commands?

Well look no further!

*controling the ship using voice commands is not actually better at all

If you are a proud owner of a program called VoiceAttack this is the post for you. If you do not own it, then this has no value for you, as

you can not use it with the trial version.

I have compiled a profile for Voice Attack that will allow you to control your ship using only your voice. It has roughly 150 commands in all, most with multiple order options.

I do implore you to go through them and check your key bindings. The commands to fire port and starboard battery, the command to fire all guns and any commands that affect manual sail control will most likey not work until you rebind them to your control scheme.

I am eager to hear your comments and suggestions on how to improve it.

Again, read through the commands and check the key bindings. Obviously you can change it to better suit your style of command, but atleast this will give you a good platform.

If you find any mistakes, errors, bugs, please let me know.

Downloads:

-Without TextToSpeech 9.72 Beta Version

This is a WIP profile for 9.72. If you test it out be sure to let me know what is wrong.

Because the game remembers sail speed values, what guns are loaded with what and what the crew is focused on it is recommended that before every battle you issue the command: Reset Values. This will ensure your profile and game are synced up.

Best of luck and fair winds!

*test of the profile - VIDEO, Video/TWsounds*

If you're feeling really grateful and you want to thank me and the fellas recording voices with more than words:

Donate

*I also accept digital hugs.

Edited by ShavedAlpaca
  • Like 6

Hello again Captains!

I would like to make voice packs for this aswell.

Anyone who owns a half decent microphone and is willing to read a bunch of naval phrases for 10 minutes please contact me. If you know a guy, who knows a guy, link them to this aswell.

Any language, any accent. What Id like most is a few different british ones. A posh one, a piratey one, things like that. Also for the other nations.

Reallly anyone feel free to contact me and we will sort it out :)

Edited by ShavedAlpaca

• 2 weeks later...

For the rudder return to center from either side, try the key sequence "adad", and the phrase "amidships".

That was the first attempt, but in OW it locked the rudder to the last key pressed. I have fixed it in the latest version I have.

I am Australian but would be happy to read phrases for you if you like. You really want an English sounding first officer though. Hornblower tv series style.

I will send you the script and instructions :) Ive got about 6 guys who said they will do it and have already recieved their scripts, waiting for them to finish :) I prefer an english voice, but, since this isnt just for me, the more voices the better :) Check your inbox.

I'm going to give your profile a try, thanks for doing the work and handing out to the community! Huzzah!!

Im glad youre excited, this one sadly isnt as good as the version im working on now. Ill see if I can put that up in a few days. No promises, busy at the moment.

I found some pretty good sounds for command feedback for voice attack in a sound.pack file from Napoleon Total war, i have selected a couple of them and renamed them (for easier use for ShavedAlpaca profile).

some of them have 2 different voices (more navy like and pirate like) so you have more contrast.

And i want to thank ShavedAlpaca again for creating and sharing a good voice attack profile!!

Edited by Jacob van Heemskerck

Nice find, Ill put them in and test it out :)

*edit: added a profile with the sounds to the downloads. Just copy the sound folder and it should work.*

Thanks, i just rememberd my modding days in Napoleon Total War and digged up these .mp3 files, and put them in a seperate folders.

and i have been messing around with Voice attack to create a non static command voice feedback, and you can put for example a couple of .mp3's from ''Orders recieved (overall)'' folder's in a pool, so you don't have the same

''Aye Aye, Captain'' every command voice feedback.

I just sailed with it myself, and giving command's to your ship's crew and recieving the propper ''Aye Aye, captain'', ''Hard over her starboard'', ''Prepare grapeshot'' or ''Davy Jones awaits the scurvy dogs'' is very immersive!  

But the choice is intirely your own, feel free to do whatever you want with it. i have no claim to it what so ever, as stated i digged up these .mp3 files from Napoleon Total War sound.pack file.

On the other languages:

I can upload the the whole original British, Dutch, French, and Spanish sound files so you can select your own voiced feedback for your commands.

Creative assembly wasn't so creative with the Dutch language  <_<, they are there, but not as good as the English ones. So i'm going to have a look wich ones are the best for myself, if there is some one who wants the .mp3 for a Dutch profile PM me i wil give a link to the download file when it's ready, but i'm not going to post this into this thread.

The same goes for the other languages, my french does not goes furter then the ''Où est l'office de tourisme'' and ''voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir'' ;) , and spanish ''dónde está el bar de tapas más cercana'' and ''una cerveza por favor'' i can not dicide of these are good sound files? 

Edited by Jacob van Heemskerck

• 3 weeks later...

hi.

Im using voice attack myself (due to injury).

So fare Ive managed to control total 180 degrees turn using manual sailing, changeing yards each 45 degrees turn for a Naval brig.

This is a save of 10 seconds thowards an autoskipper for a 180deg turn ,start wind from NE,turning away from wind (left :)  and startspeed 5knots (max sails up).

Im setting the QE and ZC by measuring full time and half time it takes to set positons of yards which is 5 seconds from 0 to max for the naval brig.

I will make single commands using  wind from 8 directions in step of 45 degs, (0-45-90.....). Asuming max sails up. and thereafter put them together according to from where tthe wind arrives.

When steady coarse is wanted, the turning is interrupted, autoskipper enabled and rudder neutralized, with another command.

Example of command: Starboard135, meaning turn starboard, present wind direction from 135 degrees (SE).

I lack the max speed regarding 7 wind directions to make (and thereby measure or calculate the time it takes to turn 45 degs from each wind direction.

Heres a link that may show some manouvres and commands (voice) to use, if u dont allready have them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6DZIvMZWzQ

Wish You fair winds

regards

Edited by kapteinsortebill

hi.

Im using voice attack myself (due to injury).

So fare Ive managed to control total 180 degrees turn using manual sailing, changeing yards each 45 degrees turn for a Naval brig.

This is a save of 10 seconds thowards an autoskipper for a 180deg turn ,start wind from NE,turning away from wind (left :)  and startspeed 5knots (max sails up).

Im setting the QE and ZC by measuring full time and half time it takes to set positons of yards which is 5 seconds from 0 to max for the naval brig.

I will make single commands using  wind from 8 directions in step of 45 degs, (0-45-90.....). Asuming max sails up. and thereafter put them together according to from where tthe wind arrives.

When steady coarse is wanted, the turning is interrupted, autoskipper enabled and rudder neutralized, with another command.

Example of command: Starboard135, meaning turn starboard, present wind direction from 135 degrees (SE).

I lack the max speed regarding 7 wind directions to make (and thereby measure or calculate the time it takes to turn 45 degs from each wind direction.

Heres a link that may show some manouvres and commands (voice) to use, if u dont allready have them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6DZIvMZWzQ

Wish You fair winds

regards

That would be really great if you can get it to work. As Ive stated in the first post Im putting the project on hold for a month or so,new job, no pc to play the game and test it. (Im on a Pentium 4, 1gb Ram machine for now)

If you manage to make this a reliable feature please share it. Ill put it with the other downloads.

I see a few issues tho. Every ship is different, then there is the wood type and upgrades to take into account. You might be better off making a tutorial on how to make these commands so that people can do it for their ship.

Also. When you lose crew the performance will take a hit and make this whole thing faulter. It really is an odd one. Best of luck anyway :)

That would be really great if you can get it to work. As Ive stated in the first post Im putting the project on hold for a month or so,new job, no pc to play the game and test it. (Im on a Pentium 4, 1gb Ram machine for now)

If you manage to make this a reliable feature please share it. Ill put it with the other downloads.

I see a few issues tho. Every ship is different, then there is the wood type and upgrades to take into account. You might be better off making a tutorial on how to make these commands so that people can do it for their ship.

Also. When you lose crew the performance will take a hit and make this whole thing faulter. It really is an odd one. Best of luck anyway :)

hi, thanks. After some replies,I see now there are some issues, that may be too large hinder to achieve,stable timing :)   Ill give it some days of final thoughts regarding using speed as a factor in calculating timing, but at present it seemes not reliable to achieve.

I'll probably glue 2 strips,showing yard positions and their keyboard keys controls and glue one at left and one at right side of my screen border for the 2 possible turn directions.

I've been using Voice Attack since shortly after the OW was released.  I love it!  I still need to update my commands to match the most recent UI, and I'd love to compare and see what commands you are using.  One of my biggest issues is forgetting the specific phrase used for a command, ie "port guns load single" vs "port guns load single shot" vs "port side load single".  For the commands I screw up most often, I actually put several different ways to issue the same command.  Very helpful.

I actually wish the devs would add a feature to "neutral" the yards on a mast, so they turn parallel to the wind and continue to track as the ship turns (like auto-sails).  This would make it much easier to set up combined commands for tacking, wearing, and other maneuvers.

• Like 1

I found some pretty good sounds for command feedback for voice attack in a sound.pack file from Napoleon Total war, i have selected a couple of them and renamed them

Download (all) Napoleon Total War Original British sounds: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/73h7lwddsrz67x4/AADjLQN46yDMe5zROU0erf0Sa?dl=0

Those sound files from Napoleon will be copy protected; if you have not contacted the Creative Assembly you should do. They are decent devs and were very helpful back when I modded their games, I am sure they will give you permission, but you should have asked first.

Edited by Hexcaliber

Those sound files from Napoleon will be copy protected; if you have not contacted the Creative Assembly you should do. They are decent devs and were very helpful back when I modded their games, I am sure they will give you permission, but you should have asked first.

Would I have to? Im not demanding payment for it tho? Ill shoot them an email. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Cant find an email address. If anyone finds it please pass it on to me :)

2nd Edit: found it.

Edited by ShavedAlpaca

IJacob van Heemskerck, on 02 Jan 2016 - 9:09 PM, said:

I found some pretty good sounds for command feedback for voice attack in a sound.pack file from Napoleon Total war, i have selected a couple of them and renamed them

Download (all) Napoleon Total War Original British sounds: https://www.dropbox....ROU0erf0Sa?dl=0

I removed the link, thanks for the headsup mate, much appreciated! Edited by Jacob van Heemskerck

Anyone know how to get Windows 10 64 bit "Text to speech" voice pack in a male voice? The 2 default options are both female which ruins things for a Voice Attack Text To Speech order confirmations....

You need to install extra voices, some are free but the good ones you usually have to buy from somewhere. Just google "TTS Voices".

There are guides how to unlock voices in the registry in windows but dont show up. If I can find it Ill edit this post with some links.