Game-Labs Forum

Venetian/Italian Ship Collection (With Plans)

The Arsenal didn't really limit them too much, it was much better outfitted for and really designed to build galleys for most of its lifespan although even at its peak it never made up more than around 20% of the maritime production. although you have probably seen it, this covers most of the history although not all, I'm surprised why its missing bits like the dry docks I was talking about.

http://arsenalofvenice.weebly.com/history-of-the-arsenale.html

There were shipyards lining lido and a couple in murano too, all suited better to the slow process of line ships.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 3

In the first times, the Venetian Republic disliked the galleons, and for a long time rent it from Netherlands, instead produce from his shipyards

Venetian fleet ("Armada" or "Armada da mar") was divided to 2 types:

"Armata Sottile", where we translate in "light fleet", and "Armata Grossa" or "Heavy Fleet"

in Venice, on XVIII Century the fleet was divided: 

- Vascello di I Rango: twodecker with 68/74 cannons

- Vascello di II Rango, or "Fregata Grossa" (Heavy frigate): twodecker with 60/66 cannons

- Vascello di III Rango, or "Fregata" (frigate): twodecker with 40/50 cannons

- Vascello di IV Rango, or "Fregatina" (light frigate), ship with less 40 cannons

Of course we can see in the late XVIII century the equivalent venetian I class is comparable with the third class of the other navies, but for "prestige", the classification wasn't never changed.

http://www.veneziamuseo.it/ARSENAL/schede_arsenal/vascelli.htm

• Like 1

In the first times, the Venetian Republic disliked the galleons, and for a long time rent it from Netherlands, instead produce from his shipyards

Venetian fleet ("Armada" or "Armada da mar") was divided to 2 types:

"Armata Sottile", where we translate in "light fleet", and "Armata Grossa" or "Heavy Fleet"

in Venice, on XVIII Century the fleet was divided: 

- Vascello di I Rango: twodecker with 68/74 cannons

- Vascello di II Rango, or "Fregata Grossa" (Heavy frigate): twodecker with 60/66 cannons

- Vascello di III Rango, or "Fregata" (frigate): twodecker with 40/50 cannons

- Vascello di IV Rango, or "Fregatina" (light frigate), ship with less 40 cannons

Of course we can see in the late XVIII century the equivalent venetian I class is comparable with the third class of the other navies, but for "prestige", the classification wasn't never changed.

http://www.veneziamuseo.it/ARSENAL/schede_arsenal/vascelli.htm

Dont forget that the Galleon was a Venetian design of ship, the early models were built by Venice and then the design was given to Spain along with a few ships as part of their Alliance against the Ottomans. The division between their light and heavy fleets is one that goes back quite a long way and is more to do with provisioning than much else, the Venetian obsession with proper provisioning which goes back to the provision of grain and other food being vital for the survival of the city. I don't think that the Venetians disliked Galleons as much as had trouble ensuring their quality, when the ship first appeared it was very difficult to lay down a plan for a ship of that size being both strong and economical to make and its during this period where the Dutch became the leaders in maritime crafting. :)

• Like 2

Out of curiosity where do you get all this information, I have struggled to find any good books or resources on actual Venetian ships, I have a fair amount of stuff on history, politics, trade, production and the shipbuilding industry but I have nothing on ships, its something I would like to go deeper into.

I have just ordered this in the hope it has some good bits in it;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Navi-veneziane-Venetian-ships-Gilberto-Penzo/dp/888190103X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455844189&sr=8-2&keywords=venetian+ships

Google!Also check the links on the first post.

I wanted to buy that book as well but amazon is not really a choice for me.So I couldn't find it.It contains several plans posted here i think.It would be amazing to have them in a better resolution :D

Google!Also check the links on the first post.

I wanted to buy that book as well but amazon is not really a choice for me.So I couldn't find it.It contains several plans posted here i think.It would be amazing to have them in a better resolution :D

Yeah, I'm not fond of amazon but its frustratingly useful for finding rare academic books, I will let you know if its any good, it better be good at that price allegedly it going to be delivered next Saturday I might even share some of it on the sneak but don't tell anyone :)

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

Currently I only have information on the scale, trying to track down more without much success, the ship is late independent Venetian so around that date, I would guess anything between about 1780-1797. Looking at the hull it would have been likely built somewhere in the lagoon or intended for use in or around Venice.

I would also imagine the sail plan being very similar to this painting of a British corvette.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/mediaLib/351/media-351675/large.jpg

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 1

Unnamed 74 Gun Third rate:

Venetian

The writing on the second picture reads:
Prioezione scenografica geometrica di una nave di 74 cannoni nella sua imboscatura e compimento. Umiliata A.S.E. il Signor Andrea Querini con I.A. D.I. S.C.R.A.M. pres del C.R.A di Venezia e Com. Gen. della Im. Marina. Per saggio dell'ultimo esame del corso dei Audj nell'Arsemale medisimo da Angelo Gambin alunno della scuola medisima nel mese di 7mbre nell'anno 1800 Sul verso: dissegni a mamo degli esami

I have no idea what it translates to as sadly I don't read Italian, anyway here are the designs.

ZmVVNv5.jpg

Y7g3A7q.jpg

FeyzqhL.jpg

Again I will try and work out the scaling when I have time enjoy. :)

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 1

Faustina

Not really in the time period, shes a Galeass from 1685 called the Faustina. I just thought she had a pretty interesting stern so would share it with those who are interested in that kind of thing.

MGYK0rB.jpg

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

• 2 weeks later...

Sant'Antonio da Padova 

Papal States

gallery_1071_1086_164656.jpg

gallery_1071_1086_110287.jpg

gallery_1071_1086_386837.jpg

gallery_1071_1086_45588.jpg

gallery_1071_1086_36221.jpg

gallery_1071_1086_111979.jpg

gallery_1071_1086_21197.jpg

gallery_1071_1086_108769.jpg

gallery_1071_1086_294201.jpg

gallery_1071_1086_85451.jpg

gallery_1071_1086_13026.jpg

The model above is currently exhibited in the Museo Universitario di Palazzo Poggi in Bologna. It was gifted by Pope Benedict XIV in 1754.

Info needed!

Edited by Sella22
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...