Game-Labs Forum

More/ better sprites in ships ASAP

Do you mean character models? because sprites are 2d images, usually in a 3d game they are used when something is long away to reduce the performance penalty of using 3d models.

edit: some words

Edited by OlavDeng2

when are we gonna have some more real sprites on ship so we can have more Total War/ Assasins Creed/Blackwake

Before I answer please provide the links to your UNEDITED posts where you commended us for improving the weather, sky, sun and other visuals.

• Like 1

can i also say, if you mean models of humans, it wont happen for a while since havint thousands of animations running in a trafalgar will kill performance, unlike assassins creed where we are talking about a hundred AI at once at max or so, we are talking about thousands upon thousands here which means it will result in unplayable performance, its the same reason why admin has stated we arent getting gun ports which can open and close.

• Like 1

Why asap?  ASAP is the same as STAT, which means now/immediately.  In my line of work both of these are used as "it is an emergency" or "extremely high priority."  And why the link to the other game?  Blackwake doesn't look realistic.  Sure it looks like a fun COD version of Naval Action, but the anims aren't good looking and Game Labs provides high quality visuals.

I'd settle for an overhead hybrid RTS like version of what we have now, where we could move some groups of men and officers around between the ships, but I don't expect any kind of boarding revamp until after EA.

I'd rather have port battles and the land masses from OW transfer into combat instances much more at this point.

• Like 2

Given time, I'm sure there will be more sailors/marines apparent on the decks. But this is definitely not the most pressing change or addition needed at this time. It's always best to flesh out gameplay, mechanics, and design before focusing on the more aesthetic and purely visual items.

• Like 1

Well said Mr. Arpes! I know that the journey is long and hard to the 'finish' but I can only hope to give a glimpse of what ones dreams and aspirations for the perfect Age of Sail battle would look like! If you want to reach out to the BIG crowds of gamers then you must steer the Naval Action game in this direction as well. If not you will only have the types of people on here who prefer to sail ships in BOTTLES and trade/build ships while fiddling with spread sheets says I ! Har Har!

• Like 1

The sprites in those videos look pretty dumb IMO.

I think what Total War did is the best way to go in the future of this game, simple sailors, marines and officers, probably would look better in Unity.

While the water and sky look nice in Assassins Creed, it is far more realistic and believable in NA, they have done a fantastic job with lighting, weather transitions etc. Was sitting outside a port the other day and the dark fog came rolling in across a burnt orange sunset, I mean Skyrim doesn't even have that.

I streamed some gameplay for a friend recently (she doesn't play video games) and she nearly fell out of her chair at the visuals. After 30 minutes I was like 'thanks for watching, I just wanted to give you an idea of what it's like' and she said 'no no keep streaming, I am in love with this game!'.

• Like 1

Well said Mr. Arpes! I know that the journey is long and hard to the 'finish' but I can only hope to give a glimpse of what ones dreams and aspirations for the perfect Age of Sail battle would look like! If you want to reach out to the BIG crowds of gamers then you must steer the Naval Action game in this direction as well. If not you will only have the types of people on here who prefer to sail ships in BOTTLES and trade/build ships while fiddling with spread sheets says I ! Har Har!

Bear in mind that while Game Labs would like this game to do well, the idea of making it the World of Warcraft on water, generic, easy, simple, a-historical, simply to give it mass-market appeal....isn't actually their goal.   ;)

• Like 2

when are we gonna have some more real sprites on ship so we can have more Total War/ Assasins Creed/Blackwake

action on these mofo ships!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51kQ5-7snE4

blackwake looks shocking in every sense of the word. The people commentating on the trailer seemed very much like your try and die cod types as well. You will find much more knowledgeable people to enjoy learning about thr age of sail and.living it so to speak here.

I think all of us would love to see a more interactive crew. But it takes processing power. Have you any idea of the size of crews onreal sols?

• Like 1