Game-Labs Forum

Denmark VS Great Britain 1801

E.P. Juel

Hello Captains!

I have so many different naval battles in mind which would be awesome to reenact!

One of them are the battle of Copenhagen in 1801, between Great Britain and Denmark.

Slaget_paa_Reden_01.jpg

Slaget_p%C3%A5_reden_1801.jpg

G-98-LL.jpg

Britan were victorious.

Some sources says that britain was merciful on denmark and ended the battle with a treaty.

Others says that the english would have won the battle either way, but cheated the danish king to believe that he was loosing (and no quarters would be shown) because a win would be too 'expensive'.

A fact is, that the british king didnt approve of an 'unknown aspect', so when nelson got back he ignored the fact that he had ever been gone. 

In my opinion they would have won this battle either way.  

Can not wait for the release!

Must brace myself with patience. :)

Edited by E.P. Juel
  • Like 2

To my knowledge the second AND third picture have the title "Slaget på Reden". Both were also painted by Christian August Lorentzen.

The second picture supposedly depicts the battle as it looked a couple of minutes before 13 o'clock. 
The second picture was painted in 1801. (Yeah, same year as the battle took place.) 

Not sure about when the third picture was painted but i assume it was probably around the same time as the second picture.

• Like 1

The third looks like a typical after event surrender parade. The sort the artist creates once he knows he's going to get paid.

Actually history here also mention one of Nelsons famous actions. 

Sir.Hyde Parker gave signal to retreat and Nelsons was very suprised. 

Nelson Said: ‘You know, Foley, I have only one eye – and I have the right to be blind sometimes’ http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/nelsons-victory-copenhagen#sthash.Zc4pVZA2.dpuf

Instead he engaged the Danes more closely, whom he said was "gallant fellows"  :D