Game-Labs Forum

Boarding and autoresolve

Hi, 

I do not own this game (since it's not for sale at the moment)  but i've seen many movies on youtube. And to me there seems to be a big difference in the appearance of the sailing, (which is beautiful and entertaining) and the boarding "game". While the ships have beautiful graphics and animations, the boarding display, in contrast, is very very simplistic.

For me it would be no problem to leave it completely out and just make it an autoresolve. (or have the option between play and autoresolve).

I'm curious what others think.

Rodin

Boarding is a much more complex process than a simple auto-resolve. Boarding involves a great amount of various strategies; such as defending, firing, marine firings and even firing your deck guns. The use of these strategies allows for more interesting and, quite honestly fairer engagements. It makes feats that the HMS Speedy made against the El Gamo possible, which I'm a big fan of.

I'm sure the devs plan to create a more aesthetically appealing boarding option, though the present one is quite satisfactory and there are other issues/items that should be resolved/added next- such as port production modules! :D

Appreciate the input but I think that this idea is a bad one.

Since you have not got the game you are unaware of the true tactics required for a boarding. All the small details and moves make boarding fun.

With an auto solve feature the fun and challenge of boarding would be gone.

Keep thinking about suggestions and we hope to see you in our in game family soon.

You could email the devs if they are still accepting requests which could get you access to the game.

I actually like the idea of auto-resolve.  The boarding mini-game imo offers nothing to this game.  It's easier to master and quite boring.  If it were a real-time system, could be better.  But I would just rather see something like a Paradox games battle system (EU4, Victoria 2, etc.) where it auto-resolves the battle in real time while giving you the option to try and withdraw.

That would also solve the ongoing argument of whether boarding should be pre-determined by your preparation for the boarding (i.e. your boarding mods, prep, morale, etc.) or being skill-based.  Since the devs seem much more interested in the results being pre-determined then auto-resolve makes a lot of sense.

If there were some visuals of an actual boarding engagement with men fighting on the decks and whatnot that would help with the immersion.  Because the current system is not immersive at all.  Staring at a menu, clicking buttons, with no visuals or sounds of an engagement doesn't feel very immersive.

• Like 2

Over the month we discouvered many times before, that the devs used at an early stage some sort of place holder, just to come back towards it much later and to refine it.

I dont like Trading at all, cause it is at the moment some sort of filling gaps in xls tables. But it will be a completely different thing, later on.

May I suggest the idea of using a first person shooter engine for coming back to the boarding incidents, much later?