Game-Labs Forum
jodgi

Ship Speeds - Testing and Discussion

Many factors are involved in Wooden ships speed.  Hull cleanliness has not been mentioned yet.  The growth of weed and animal life on a ship's bottom was a huge factor.  Coppering made a major difference in this regard as it extended the time that a ship retained it's maximum speed by reducing the amount of crud on the hull over time.  We don't have anything in the game that deals with this.  Another issue for speed is hull design/length.  A ship with greater hull length at the waterline would have better speed than shorter/beamier ships.  Another design choice that ship builders made was sail area.  The Yanks were noted (in the early 19th century) for over sparring their vessels.  Along with a sleek design, this led to very fast ships that were always in danger of losing masts/spars.  Captains had to be very careful to reduce sail in higher wind conditions.

Public announcement:

The charts should work relative but the actual numbers seem off compared to port speeds listed in game. We are reviewing.

Some of you may already have figured it out, feel free to let us know.

Unless someone saves us; It's fixed when it is fixed. ;)

• Like 1

Speed and mods and balance...

A veteran player has been crafting tons of ships to get himself a "very fast" ship.

He has Ship Handling and more than enough Copper Platings.

Very fast +3%

Ship Handling +3%

Copper Plating +3%

= +9% = +1 knots of speed

A so called veteran player has also all the rest of the books and upgrades.

How can a new player challenge this kind of player?

If veteran went Teak/Teak, new player can go Fir/Fir to close this by 5.25%. He is still 3.75% short here.

New player has no change to catch veteran player, veteran will always define when to fight and where. Veteran player mistake or a huge zerg waiting outside are 2 ways for them to get them.

I know this is not the only one. This kind of things should not be in the game, seriously this is utter shite. This is like the water purification centers first pool of shite.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

How can a new player challenge this kind of player?

I asked this even before mods were introduced. I still don't understand the wisdom.

I've been told this kind of grind to win is important to sandbox games. Also, some people think there would be no fights and only hopeless chasing and running with no to minimal speed mods.

30 minutes ago, jodgi said:

I asked this even before mods were introduced. I still don't understand the wisdom.

I've been told this kind of grind to win is important to sandbox games. Also, some people think there would be no fights and only hopeless chasing and running with no to minimal speed mods.

Here’s my take:  Devs designed a game around ship combat.  It’s very fun, yes.  However, for some people, they either grew bored with ONLY ship combat or they expected more than that. Many gamers have come to expect “quests” or storylines in multiplayer games. In Naval Action, the only “quest” or thing to aspire to do other than combat is gather the sexy mods.  

Heres the rub:  devs promised us ship combat. We want ship combat, but some players expect more.

i personally do not “expect” more. But it would be lovely to be surprised by any additional ideas they come up with. 

I want “Civilization” with age of sail combat added.  But that’s not what they promised. 

• Like 2

Personaly i had the most fun when we meet for the saturday trafalgar battles to get rid of some duras or some 1 dura ships just for the fun of the fight. For me port battles and all the unbalacend mods slowly took more and more of the fun out of the game.... I am currently not realy activly playing but i haven't given up all hope for some changes to the better (yet).

• Like 2

I read the post above from Cmdr about the use of speedmods. The conclusion is wrong. I use Art of shiphandling, Copperplaitings and those stuff. But I use them to get a fight. Why am I not using so many fightingmods if I want to fight? The answer is that 90% of the people ran away when they are not outnumbering you. So I am used to fight in ships with high speed preparation and I only get a fight with speedmods. 

Second point is that you need speedmods to escape from 1:10 situations. 

The easy counter for for all the players complaining about speedmods whould be to build ships with fightingmods. ... But they do not want to fight (in a wargame lol) and - even worse - they do not want to learn it.

To learn it, you have to loose many ships. I lost hundreds of times and I learned hundreds of times. If you only avoid fights you will learn nothing and you will be easy prey for yor opponent. 

That is the conclusion. 

With nerved speedmods I would focus on fightingmods. The result whould be the same and I bet all those people whould cry for buff of speedmods to be able to run away. After buffed again I whould use speedmods again and so on and so on. 

Dont you see the weakness of speedmods? Counter them with fightingmods and - more important - fight and learn.

6 hours ago, Sir Loorkon said:

I read the post above from Cmdr about the use of speedmods. The conclusion is wrong. I use Art of shiphandling, Copperplaitings and those stuff. But I use them to get a fight. Why am I not using so many fightingmods if I want to fight? The answer is that 90% of the people ran away when they are not outnumbering you. So I am used to fight in ships with high speed preparation and I only get a fight with speedmods. 

I don't know if you are a troll or not so I put this short. The conclusion is correct.

I give you a free advice how you get more fights. Remove your speed mods, make your combat oriented ship and sail to closest gankfest area.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

If devs really want to shoot themselves to leg and have rare upgrades, which I don't recommend, but if they still do for some reason...

I highly, very extremely highly, recommend that you don't create any rare speed upgrades. Includes Elite Spanish and Pirate. All should be common.

Only one speed upgrade should be without penalties.

The only way to go faster is to get faster ship design and your enemy can do the same to negate this.

No combat upgrades that are as good as Cartagena.  Cartagena is more or less the same as sailing Teak/WO ship with the thickness of LO/WO.

When speed is made common.. This should level the game and there will be more fights, a lot more.

• Like 1

Site updated today, sorry for the delay. By all means let us know if you find errors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

Site updated today, sorry for the delay. By all means let us know if you find errors.

Are you sure? Requin still sits at 8.33kn @180° but should be slower.

29 minutes ago, Havelock said:

Are you sure? Requin still sits at 8.33kn @180° but should be slower.

k, thx.

What should it sit at?