Game-Labs Forum
jodgi

Ship Speeds - Testing and Discussion

EliteDelta    312

@@jodgi I checked today, and it seems the speeds of the Wasa and L'Hermione were adjusted slightly. Without guns, the wasa is now 12.30 (used to be 12.17 I believe) and L'Hermione is 12.32 (used to be close to 12.7 before).

jodgi    2,310
2 hours ago, EliteDelta said:

@@jodgi I checked today, and it seems the speeds of the Wasa and L'Hermione were adjusted slightly. Without guns, the wasa is now 12.30 (used to be 12.17 I believe) and L'Hermione is 12.32 (used to be close to 12.7 before).

Ye, I'm aware. We are very slowly moving towards a way of presenting API changes more easily and quickly, or we're trying to.

jodgi    2,310

I never was much of a fan of the (simplified) leave-on-auto fore-and-aft ships, but the Prince is a different animal. It's silly as hell but while derping around with it I've made a little routine of marineaobatics, or princeaobatics ;)

First up is the "fish-hook" stop and reverse, next is two downwind tight radius course reversals also known as "Sea-S". I finish the display off with two different flavors of "Stern-slide" or "Ocean-Immelman".

Enjoy!

jodgi    2,310
1 hour ago, Darayavahus said:

Have you tested how does Main Sail or Jib Sail bonuses/reductions affects Prince in-battle sail speeds?

Not really, but it's simple: In it's current form it's shitty downwind and great upwind. No mainsail bonuses will amount to much, so it's better to focus on it's strength.

This is a tricky one to balance. 

jodgi    2,310

Arright, shitheads!

Here's the new ships speeds comparison based on the API file. Everyone can view it but you need to log in and save your own copy to fully use it, just like the devs' wood comparison calculator sheet from a while back. The version I share with you is a snapshot copy of the internal sheet we made.

The neat thing about this version is that whenever a new version of the API is pushed out I can update the base values with a few clicks and share a new and updated sheet.

I have a tiny little google compute preemtible machine sitting in Belgium with a tiny script that @qw569 made for me. This little script downloads the raw API and extracts everything related to speed into a .cvs file. This file is then pushed to my google drive with a bash tool. Then Sheetgo syncs and imports that .cvs into a tab in our work sheet. @balticsailor finds out the relation between the API "max speed" to what we see in port and off we go! I've googled around and learned as I went how to make all this click automagically, but it wouldn't have been possible for you guys to see this if not for @qw569 and @balticsailor's help that I could not have figured out despite all of google's power. Buy these two a beer every time you see them! o7

This chart is only as good and true as the API file itself, so don't take it as gospel.

c744ad3a03afbaaeab390ce3d11ef78f.png

You have the relative chart with API "abstract" values that is always true to the API. Then you have the port calc chart that we believe represents what we see in game, no guarantees, though. The rest of the tabs you should avoid messing with unless you know what you're doing.

In those two chart tabs you can use the drop down menus to compare up to five ships. If you only want to compare two; pick four of the same and then another ship. My sheet-fu only goes so far. I've colored the cells in green to draw you to the safe areas ;)

9e9ca9182de9ad10bb65002523e9c127.png

Those of you that are better than me at these things and want to make charts where you can pick woods, skills and upgrades; please let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I'm sure it's possible but simply out of my league.

I might do a plot.ly or even infogr.am version of this but both those solutions have major drawbacks with as many ships as we have to deal with, right, @Peter Goldman?

If you happen to know the perfect solution I'm all ears.

Have at it, you bot bullying PvE and eco scumbags!

I need to sneak in a little politics: Imagine that I'm prepared and happy to do this out of the goodness of my heart, but to grind bots on a regular basis like you "money is easy now" peeps... No, that is a bridge too-hello kittying-far!

jodgi    2,310

I've put it up as an infogr.am chart.

Like I said; That has it's drawbacks. The plot.ly chart we had was buggy and jumpy with the long list of ships. Infogr.am doesn't have the ability to isolate one ship with double-click or similar. That said, I do like the readability of infogr.am and I'm able to deal with it by de-selecting everything before I start to look at the ships I'm interested in, <sigh>. It's also nice to share it this way since not everyone uses Google sheets. 

Zoky    181
1 hour ago, jodgi said:

I've put it up as an infogr.am chart.

Like I said; That has it's drawbacks. The plot.ly chart we had was buggy and jumpy with the long list of ships. Infogr.am doesn't have the ability to isolate one ship with double-click or similar. That said, I do like the readability of infogr.am and I'm able to deal with it by de-selecting everything before I start to look at the ships I'm interested in, <sigh>. It's also nice to share it this way since not everyone uses Google sheets. 

How hard would be to make sailing profiles like this (i will help any way i can with my limited knowledge :) )

220px-SailingProfileFRIGATE.png

This way is somehow more intuitive to me

jodgi    2,310
8 minutes ago, Zoky said:

How hard would be to make sailing profiles like this (i will help any way i can with my limited knowledge :) )

220px-SailingProfileFRIGATE.png

This way is somehow more intuitive to me

It's probably not hard at all. I've just chosen to go with the ones I use because I simply prefer them. I have a tiny little problem with the 360 ones because they show redundant information by mirroring. They look very cool but I find them lacking in readability.

When you make a copy of the google sheet you can use the data to make whatever charts you want. I have no idea how well the 360 ones handles readability with a million-billion ships ;)

If you show me how, I could be convinced to add a tab with 360 charts next time.

Zoky    181

Its hard to explain :) Somehow when i go to naval action wiki and see those charts i get idea how ship will handle around all points of sail. I think its more to do with that i first used circle charts so i developed circle bias :D

jodgi    2,310
14 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Why not square sailing profiles, I don't like circles :ph34r:

@jodgi did you compare new profiles to the old ones? I might take a look at it today.

Any particular ships you're curious about? I'm not sufficiently motivated to look at them all in search of possible changes.

Peter Goldman    1,270
15 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Any particular ships you're curious about? I'm not sufficiently motivated to look at them all in search of possible changes.

Ugh, I will check myself once I get back into the game if you plan to do it manually :rolleyes:

jodgi    2,310
Just now, Peter Goldman said:

Ugh, I will check myself once I get back into the game if you plan to do it manually :rolleyes:

Lol, I haven't set up an automatic way to do this. It is an interesting thing to keep an eye on, but I'm not that skilled with all this so stuff needs thought and work.

jodgi    2,310
2 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Everything should be automated, including my trading routes, PvE bots and AFK sailing!

Hah! Then even I would get rich. I honestly would if I could, I have no shame about avoiding boring stuff in order to focus excusively on fun stuff.

DeRuyter    724

Nice work @jodgi Thank you!

Sadly the chart reminds me, speaking as a sailor now, that none of these ships should be going faster than a drift with the current at 15 degrees let alone 6 knts. :wacko:

jodgi    2,310
1 hour ago, DeRuyter said:

Nice work @jodgi Thank you!

Sadly the chart reminds me, speaking as a sailor now, that none of these ships should be going faster than a drift with the current at 15 degrees let alone 6 knts. :wacko:

You're welcome!

Heh, as a shitty Bermuda rig sailor I agree with you. However, we haven't tried NA without the sea bed attached rail system. With leeway it might get really interesting or equally frustrating. Imagine anything bigger than a Connie slowing to a crawl at 45 and the really big ones at windheading 60 with a track-made-good dropping down towards 80.

I have a feeling we might be given a chance to experience that...

jodgi    2,310
14 hours ago, Darayavahus said:

Do you know how to calculate % of Main/Jib sail ratio of each ship? Is it somewhere in API?

Could you rephrase? I'm not sure I understand what you're asking...