Game-Labs Forum

Nation Exclusive Ships

Hey!

So I wanted to bring up, or possibly have reiterated if it has been said already that It would be a good idea to keep certain ships to certain nations.

For example, one of the most famous ships of all time, the Victory, should only be craftable by British players, and the santi by spanish etc.  I think by doing this, you aren't really denying anyone the chance at all the ships, especially when we have 100+ ships in the bank, but you are offering a challenge.  

If you in future see a Dutch player sailing a victory, you will go into battle with him knowing he has somehow been able to defeat and capture an enemy player's 1st rate.

• Like 7

I am against this.

I believe it would unnecessarily split community and would lead to constant arguments about x nation's ship being OP and needed rebalanced.

Other game I play quite a lot uses 1400 nation specific units, does an extremely good job balancing them, however the forums are constantly full of cries.

Example topics that would spring up:

"Naval Action unplayable, Belle Poulle is a terminator!"

"VICTORY OP!"

"Constitution needs a nerfbat!"

"Soviet bias!"

Also, except fullfiling certain craving for e-nationalism, I don't see what good would it do compared to everyone having all.

• Like 1

Unless you can capture ships with 5 durability limiting ships to nations would be more restrictive and unrealistic than free for all:

French player crafts Tonnant class ship and it gets captured.

No sane player would sail it because of the danger to modules => no Tonnant in British service in the game.

• Like 2

I agreed, but the problem is we have few ships in game now. If devs make the spanish Santa Ana, for example, the english can have exclusiveness for their Victory. If San Juan Nepomuceno is made in game, english can have the exclusiveness of Bellona, etc...

But I will be pleased if monsieurs would share with me beautifull french designs for my dock of course.

I have in mind that a Dev said that the constitution will be restricted to all nation except to the US and all other nations have to capture it. But I have no quote so maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by z4ys

Nation exclusive ships are a cool feature but yet also a  dangerous thing. Having such a feature really depends on well balanced ships but yet have their own unique points. Having such a feature depends also greatyly on the amount of ships available. If for example the USA , UK, and the SPAIN are the only nations  with such unique ships, it will take players away from the other nations.

For such a feauture to work and be implemented we need more SOL's for every nation and more ships overall.

In the future, i would like to see nations having more than just one unique nation ship. You can do the same with 5th rates or tradeships. But first, they would need to be introduced first and that is the key of this entire suggestion:)

I agreed, but the problem is we have few ships in game now. If devs make the spanish Santa Ana, for example, the english can have exclusiveness for their Victory. If San Juan Nepomuceno is made in game, english can have the exclusiveness of Bellona, etc...

But I will be pleased if monsieurs would share with me beautifull french designs for my dock of course.

This would only work if ship models were exterior shells for each nation. If we follow your example San Juan Nepomuceno would have identical stats as the Bellona otherwise you run into the issues in marecek's post.

In Spanish service the ship was arguably undergunned with 24pdr guns - (seems to have been a thing in the Spanish navy). We would lose diversity and nuances like that if they were nation specific.

Its realistic and makes picking a nation unique and special but the community wont like it when everyone has these ships that may of been created once and never again but in game when crafting we can make quite a few numbers of them not to mention the modules and upgrades you can have on them when realistically there were quite scarce and when you think of modules that the British navy were the power house and more experience and better gun crews though in game you can make it that what ever nation is the same, if you were to have the unique ships then when u select a nation they have certain abilities that are passive like in some games but at the end of the day as cool as it is and technically making it realistic it wont work and upset many, so to sum up when from many post when people say realistic it would be awesome to implement but in game terms these days doesn't work as it isn't fair and doesn't work these days :(

This would only work if ship models were exterior shells for each nation. If we follow your example San Juan Nepomuceno would have identical stats as the Bellona otherwise you run into the issues in marecek's post.

In Spanish service the ship was arguably undergunned with 24pdr guns - (seems to have been a thing in the Spanish navy). We would lose diversity and nuances like that if they were nation specific.

Yes yes, only the 3d modelling. I mean that. Same ship stats, different models. Santa Ana for example was a 112 guns and the only ship with 100 guns in Spain was Rayo, Victory is 106 I think. If one nations lacks 1 type of ship, they can invent one or change the gun count for equal to other nation's ships or change a little the armor/speed for compensate.

And Anyway with only change the colours and details but we have a huge number of ships I will be happy too.