Game-Labs Forum

Shorter Nights in OW

I am suggesting reducing night time % compared to daytime in the OW. My reasons below.

1) Its just not as pretty. You designed a game that looks fantastic in daytime and well, rather grey with shades of more grey at night-time. Do we get a realistic moon cycle btw ? which could also effect visibility range and subtle shifts in OW colour schemes

2) If daytime was longer more battles would occurr as the targets further away would be visible on screen for longer (Gives us visibly more targets to evaluate for a longer period)

3) Unless sailing from port A to port B you will be on the OW more night-time than daytime because visibility at night is shorter, therefore your pvp/pve opportunities are less. This means you will tag battles more often in daytime, as OW  timer is progressing at an accelerated speed compared to the battle, chances are when you leave the battle it will be dark again.

4) Sailing at night should have its risks and advantages. (A bit of risk and roleplay occurrences perhaps)

Advantage. Less visibility (Maybe reduce it further) so easier to slip through or away from a patrol.

Disadvantages, running into shallows at night time could cause actual ship damage, random event as a result of sailing full speed with a reduced watch on deck. debris collision, sudden squal approaching unseen, some rigging carried away etc.

• Like 4

I was suggesting this for like few months now, and got answer that night is already shorter, or smfn.

I agree in 100% with Crankey. Night looks dull, not interesting and sometimes because of lack and time of battles I sail on OS only at night, which kinda suck.

Now I will wait for post of people who will write:
"but the night is dark and dull, what do you want in it? double rainbows?"
"thanks to nights people can suprise other"

I was suggesting this for like few months now, and got answer that night is already shorter, or smfn.

I agree in 100% with Crankey. Night looks dull, not interesting and sometimes because of lack and time of battles I sail on OS only at night, which kinda suck.

Now I will wait for post of people who will write:

"but the night is dark and dull, what do you want in it? double rainbows?"

"thanks to nights people can suprise other"

Yes double rainbows at night with singing and chanting by candle light on the deck, and what kind of mushrooms were those again man the night went fast.

Yeah, the way to address this is to add realistic moon cycles. 

Edit for clarity:

Add realistic moon cycles and the night sky has more interesting details, there's more variation in night time light levels, etc.. You'd still have some flat black dead blind nights, but most of the time you'd have a lot more light.

Edited by Hieronymous Alloy

Why not just make night time look way more interesting, and offer awesome and unique gameplay opportunities?

i like the idea a lot, but can´t come up with usefull ideas.

For a pirate to sneak on his pray the nights are still to bright.

And i would like the day and night cycle be to be in a realistic balance like 

exaple 

http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/jamaica/kingston

12h daytime

The lighting does appear to be off at night. Ships lose their shine almost completely, and become a flat matte model it seems.

That being said, I'd prefer that night still exist, but that it be a severe hindrance to the captain. I propose:

Nights should be darker, almost painfully difficult to make out sea from shore and near impossible to spot another ship just from white sails. Meaning that it's dangerous to sail and to counter the inability to locate ships add lanterns to ships, which can be extinguished or covered. Lighthouses could also be added to make land aware to ships sailing by.

• Like 2

I think things should be even darker with less visibility. Ships and islands impossible to see until close but the lights of the ports and stars shine brighter. Encouraging players to use them as a reference to navigation. It would provide opportunity to escape pursuit, traverse dangerous waters and the anticipation of what the dawn may bring would be very cool. Day break could reveal you have hit your destination perfectly, sailed into a nest of pirates or two opposing player fleets have unwittingly converged during the night. Give the night purpose not just shorten it because its inconvenient.

Edited by Brass Monkey
  • Like 1

Changing the display settings really changes the way the night looks in open world. Maybe the developers could include a screen in menu settings that allows us to match our display settings to how  they want us to see the game and improve the quality of our feed back.

Something like these:

post-6360-0-33665500-1443157641_thumb.jpg
post-6360-0-66316800-1443157640_thumb.jpg
post-6360-0-97682800-1443157639_thumb.jpg

post-6360-0-97682800-1443157639_thumb.jpg

post-6360-0-66316800-1443157640_thumb.jpg

post-6360-0-33665500-1443157641_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brass Monkey