Game-Labs Forum

AI tradeship cargo

The Cabin boy is pestering me while I write this. If anything is unclear (I'm distracted) please ask me to explain something.

I propose Ai ships carry cargo between ports.

Required infrastructure:

AI ships and trade routes (already in place)

System: 

AI traders randomly select cargo from the port's list of produced materials (N), plus one empty (+1) cargo option. =N+1

The cargo weight of the vessel is divided by the number of resources available. The RNG picks cargo units, randomly, from the N+1 cargo options. That is to say, the (N) resources plus the null (+1) cargo option. 

This would result in a slight chance of carrying NO cargo. And a small chance of not being full loaded with cargo.

Example: if a port produces 4 resources. and an AI traders lynx is going to sail  The cargo selection RNG pics cargo based on N+1. It divides the 200 ton cargo capacity into 4 units of 50 tons. The 1st 50 tons is filled with (Cargo A, or B, or C, or D, or Null (Empty). This repeats until the 4 cargo options are filled, whereupon the ship sails.

e.g. the RNG pics cargo A, C, null, and C for the ship. this gives 50 tons of A, 10 tons of C, and ZERO tons, for a total cargo weight of 150 tons (25% empty when it sails).

These resources are NOT subtracted from the port's resources. The Ai carries the cargo to the destination port, where the cargo is deleted and the process repeats. This gives players a chance of plundering cargo, while preserving the balance of resources between the ports.

Result:

This would give an opportunity to capture resources from enemy nations (or anyone if ye be a pyrite!) And would set up a realistic merchant marine / commerce mechanic in game.

Edited by Pagan Pete
  • Like 4

I don't think we should be able to capture full loads of cargo from the AI. AI, and especially AI traders, are far too easy to gain that sort of profit. I would, however, like the small amounts of cargo we capture from AI to be connected to actual trade routes and resources.

Player cargos, however, should be captured in their entirety.