Game-Labs Forum

Denmark-Norge?

Hello.

In Naval Action we have a nation called "Denmark-Norge". 
This makes no sense to me. Denmark is spelled in english while Norge is spelled in Norwegian/Danish. 

So i suggest that this at the very least be changed to one of the following: 
- Denmark-Norway (Spelled in English).

- Danmark-Norge (Spelled in Norwegian/Danish).

Now to be fair, the name we use is the modern term. 

And so i furthermore suggest that we instead of using the modern term, use one of the old terms: 

- "The Twin Realms" (English)/"Tvillingrigerne" (Danish).

- "The Danish Crown" (English)/"Den Danske Krone" (Danish).

Cheers.

• Like 3

?

Last time (long time ago) I was near those ports they came up as "Danmark-Norge".

Also, how sure are you about those historical terms? They are new to me as a names for the union. I could all but bet my life that Danmark and Norge are the names we used ourselves in 17-1800.

We have some Danes lying around here, haven't we? ;) Terkildsen, chime in!

Kongeriget Danmark or simply Danmark would probably be the most most correct name, but since the Danish state consisted of two, at least formally, separate kingdoms, I think use of the term Danmark-Norge is acceptable (the king styled himself "King of Denmark and Norway, the Wends and the Goths, Duke of Slesvig, etc...").

Another acceptable name would be Kongeriget Danmark-Norge - of course the name has to fit a general standard, and unless the other states use similar forms (Konungariket Sverige, Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden, The United Kingdom, etc.), we should stick to the less formal Danmark-Norge.

Edited by Niels Terkildsen

?

Last time (long time ago) I was near those ports they came up as "Danmark-Norge".

Also, how sure are you about those historical terms? They are new to me as a names for the union. I could all but bet my life that Danmark and Norge are the names we used ourselves in 17-1800.

We have some Danes lying around here, haven't we? ;) Terkildsen, chime in!

We do indeed, i'm one of them ^^

Wind said in his thread about maps that the ingame name is "Denmark-Norge" and not "Danmark-Norge". 

Well i read this book during my last study in which i read something about this.

And i found an internet version of the book just now so that i could quote the book ^^ 

- Europa, Identitet og Identitets Politik. Af Uffe Østergård

Quote: 

"Det skyldes ikke uhøflighed eller glemsomhed at jeg udelader Norge af opregningen, men Norge var i over fire hundrede år en loyal og underordnet del af det danske monarki, det Oldenborgske monarki, den Danske Krone eller hvad man nu har kaldt denne sammensatte statsdannelse gennem tiderne. Kun overdrevent politisk korrekte historikere kalder staten “Danmark-Norge”, “Dobbeltmonarkiet” eller “Tvillingerriget” (se det første værk om den fælles dansk-norske historie af Esben Albrechtsen, Øystein Rian, Ståle Dyrvik og Ole Feldbæk 1997-98). Disse sidste betegnelser er imidlertid moderne opfindelser. Staten bestod af et dansk og et norsk kongedømme, men omfattede også hertugdømmerne Slesvig og Holsten. Derfor kaldtes den ofte for Kron zu Dennemarck, betegnende nok med en plat- eller nedertysk betegnelse (Gregersen 1981, 373). Den danske krone var den ene af to dominerende stater i Norden mellem 1500 og 1800, mens den anden var den øst-vestvendte statsdannelse omkring Stockholm og Åbo, Sverige. Også denne stat kaldes i dag politisk korrekt for Sverige-Finland, men der var ikke tale om nogen dobbeltstat, og man kan roligt med de finlandske historikere Matti Klinge og Max Engman kalde riget for „Sverige‟ eller den svenske krone, for det gjorde man i samtiden. Der var bestemt mange finsktalende undersåtter, men ikke i statsretlig tale om et Finland som en særskilt stat eller krone. Finland var en provins i Sverige på linie med Värmland, Dalarne eller Norrland. Der var mange finske der forstod svensk, men der var også svenske der forstod finsk."

- In English: "It is not due to bad manners nor forgetfullness that i leave Norway out of the enumeration, but Norway was, for more than 400 years, a loyal and subordinate part of the Danish Monarchy, the Oldenburg Monarchy, The Danish Crown or whatever one might have called this composite statehood through the ages. Only overly politically correct historian calls the state "Denmark-Norway", "Double-Monarchy" or "The Twin Realm/Kingdom". (See the first work on the common danish-norwegian history by Esben Albrechsten, Øystein Rian, Ståle Dyrvik and Ole Feldbæk 1997-98).

These last names are, however, modern inventions. The state consisted of a Danish and a Norwegian kingdom, but did also include the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein. Because of this she was often called for "Kron zu Dennemarck, significantly enough with a plat- or low german name. The Danish crown was one of two dominant states in the North between 1500 and 1800, while the second was the east-west facing statehood formed around Stockholm and Åbo, Sweden. Today this statehood is politically correct called for "Sweden-Finland", but there was no double state, and one can calmy, along with the finnish historian Matti Klinge and Max Engman, call the kingdom for "Sweden" or the swedish crown because that's what they did at the time. There were certainly many Finnish-speaking subjects, but not speaking in a state legal way about Finland as a designated state or kingdom. Finland was a provins in Sweden, similar to Värmland, Dalarne or Norrland. There were also many finnish people that understood swedish, and vice versa.""

Edit: I did my best to translate this into english. ^^

In all seriousness, you make a good point about the formality used in general. I did not think about that.
Maybe my suggestion should be that we use more formal names in general. It fits the game better imo. ^^  

- But we still can't have "Denmark-Norge". It has to be either "Danmark-Norge" or "Denmark-Norway". 

• Like 1

LOL, yea. We were just an inconsequential afterthought after the black death plague. After you guys had to hand us over to the Swedes and we eventually declared independence I bet they went like: "Who, what now? Nevermind..."

:P

(Actually, some Danes helped us out with that.)

• Like 1

That's what surprised me a little. I was under the impression that (most) Americans were proud of their flag and country and wouldn't hesitate to choose the US nation in any game.

Americans are probably one of the most diverse people in the world. It would be like saying all Europeans are the same because of the European Union. Yes, Americans are more tightly bound than Europeans because we are actually all in one country but there is a reason why the US is known as a melting pot.

And many of us like to Roleplay.

• Like 1