Game-Labs Forum
admin

Reinforcements and defensive fleets short guide

Three important changes are coming next week.

Spawns rework

Mini map indicator now shows where potential reinforcements might come in for the attacker and defenders. Ships arriving to battle will always spawn a certain distance away from the most distant ships from the center of battle. That distance is now static but we have added the option to increase it with time.

We now solved the following problems:

• Not knowing where you will spawn in the battle
  • Reinforcements spawning in the enemy group
  • Reinforcements spawning extremely far

Reinforcements

National and neutral cities will provide protection to players in the port visibility range (pure visibility without the game fog).

Reinforcement button will be available only to a defender in battle who is attacked by a superior force.

Examples:

• Pirate Lynx attack Dutch Lynx near Oranjestad = no reinforcement will be available for the defender
  • 5 Pirate Constitutions attack a Dutch Frigate near Oranjestad = Dutch player will be able to call on 5 NPC constitutions as reinforcements

5 NPC constitutions is not much against a group of 5 players, but they will help and instead of guaranteed 0-1 loss you might kill some of the attackers with the NPC help turning it into 1-1 result or even better. 

Reinforcement button can be used only once and if you expect more enemy ships to arrive (or friendlies to arrive) it is better to wait. if you use reinforcement too early (if your friendlies are in the area) you might lock the battle for the additional support and will be stuck with 4 NPCs helping you instead of 4 players who are coming.

Nations who want to provide protection to traders and their solo privateers will have to capture ports in key locations to provide extra defensive capabilities to their fleets in those areas. Certain areas will always be dead zones and will be unsafe from gankers.

Defensive fleets

We did not like how defensive fleet looked like around the capitals and did not like how they functioned. The feature will work this way from no on. 

Every National capital has a special protection zone. If you attack a player of that nation or a neutral in this protection zone (visibility range), strong defensive fleet will arrive as reinforcement into the battle. The NPCs in that fleet will be very hard to win against, allowing players to escape or win. The goal of the defensive fleet is to kill the attacker. Only large and organized fleet will be able to destroy it.

Both reinforcement fleets and defensive fleets will arrive according to new spawn mechanics.

What is the visibility range? Is it the range, at wich you can see the port name or basically the render range?

How about if Trincomalee gets attacked by Consitution? Or Pavel by a Victory? Or Cerberus by a Surprise? Do they also get reinforcements, and what reinforcements would that be?

Edited by Laik

Perhaps instead of saying "Visibility Range" you should add Distance to Port meters that can be seen over the port name (similar to the ones you see over ships in Battle Mode). Lets say it shows up from 5km away and set a specific Defense Fleet Patrol distance within that lets say 3km? ((Edit)Just a suggestion could probably be more than 5km)

So for instance now you know when you are 5km from a port and also that you are safe with Defense Fleet protection when you get to within 3km.

Edited by Jon Tyde

The reinforcement fleets are an interesting way to attempt to counter extreme ganking, my only concern is it may kill off the organic environment where suddenly when things seemed the worst a freindly fleet of player arrived just in time to turn the battle, i feel there is some lost opportunity here.

That being said i like this more theb many of the other ideas suggested before :)

What about adding a countdown timer to the grey box over the crossed swords so ppl know if they are heading into the wind and are really far away they shouldn't try to waste 5 min trying to get into the instance?  

Or will you let players join any battle after any time has elapsed and not close the battle off after 10 min, but just spawn them much farther away in the map?  (I would like trying this method out honestly)

Will there be any kind of visual indicators on the OW to let us know when we've crossed into enemy territory, like a sparse ring of buoys w/the nation's flag on them?

Have you considered moving the starting ports of Britain to Kingston, Jamaica and the Dutch to Fort Zoutman?  I think having all the European countries in the same spot kind of made a bad experience for new players with so much large pvp.

Edited by Booyaah

Have you considered moving the starting ports of Britain to Kingston, Jamaica and the Dutch to Fort Zoutman?  I think having all the European countries in the same spot kind of made a bad experience for new players with so much large pvp.

That will be in the coming patch (the Dutch in Willemstad).

What is the visibility range? Is it the range, at wich you can see the port name or basically the render range?

How about if Trincomalee gets attacked by Consitution? Or Pavel by a Victory? Or Cerberus by a Surprise? Do they also get reinforcements, and what reinforcements would that be?

With Fog, I think visibility is like 28,000 game units at the max if you have good eyes (Plymouth to Deshaies, 70km).  Visibility of ports is a lot farther.  It is at least double that distance but I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head to calculate the distance.

To me, the warning "Reinforcement (un)available" shouldn't appear in OW. It quite kills immersion in terms of navigation. Because of it, you always know whether or not you're near a friendly or a neutral port. It's too much of a navigation aid.

IMHO, no need to have this information : you should guess it by yourself (more or less) if reinforcement is available if you know your location on the map.

Once I crossed the Caribbean Sea from South to North to a friendly port and because of that warning, I knew I had correctly navigated before I could even have a glimpse of my port. That was quite frustrating !!! 

Edited by LeBoiteux

I think there may be a bug.

We jumped a Trader Brig player with a snow, a cutter and 5 Cerbs.

He called reinforcements, which was a snow, a cutter and 5 Cerbs -- fair so far.

Then his allies jump in with a Surprise, a Snow and a Mercury. So they used reinforcement to gain a sizable advantage instead of just evening it up.

They jumped everything in at the same time so I suspect the exploit is if you time it right, you can pile in players and NPCs at the same time instead of one cutting off the other.

Pushing "reinforcement" should probably seal the battle closed, pause 5 seconds and then spawn in whatever is called for.