Game-Labs Forum
admin

Basic Guide to Crafting Ships

Hello Captains. 

Here is the basic guide for Naval Action ship building.

Progression

Every captain can build ships.

The initial prototype progression is set from lvl 1 to lvl 50. Players get XP for crafting materials and vessels. 

Blueprints (recipes)

Builders have to be learn how to make better vessels by building ships.

For example: You won't be able to understand (learn) how to make Superfrigates by building Lynxes. But make enough Lynx class ships and you might learn how to make a Privateer.

Universal knowledge exists only for these basic vessels:

• Lynx
  • Cutter
  • Brig
  • Snow
  • Cerberus
  • Frigate

All other vessels have to be discovered by making basic ships. We might drop frigate from the list in the future.

Buildings

To be able to make things you need an outpost. You can craft in any port that has your outpost in it.

We decided to not introduce buildings until conquest and port changes mechanics is tested. Maybe buildings will never appear in the game - we don't know that yet.

Labor hours

Every captain gets a certain number of labor hours per day. Labor hours can be stored to a limit. The higher your level the bigger is the hours limit - replicating growing efficiency of your production methods. This is also a very good protection against crafting bots. 

Ship blue print design.

We decided to move away from large hull, small hull design that existed in Potbs for example and moved to a weight based system. We spent a lot of time to research the topic and used historical references in determining the materials. We also limited the number of components combining them into groups and might expand them in the future after UI rework. But it is detailed enough already.

Here is what our crafting is based on + references from some other books. There might be some mistakes in our deduction but in general we were able to deduct the system that provides ship compositions consistent to historical references. Feel free to correct us its easy to change.

j470Rn5l.png

The ship will consist of the following components in crafting

Frame

• Frame Parts - (futtocks, ruders, keel, kelsons, floor timbers, cant frames, scarphs, cills, and other parts): can be made of Fir, Teak, Oak, Live oak
  • Planking - (self explanatory) - oak 
  • Rudder parts - (all wooden and metal elements of the rudders) - oak + iron
  • Knees - (certain ships require knees to support decks) - made of compass wood
  • Tar - (tar and pitch) - made of Fir

Rigging

• Rigging Parts (Masts, Yards and other wooden parts) - made of pine
  • Canvas rolls (Sails) - made of hemp (maybe of american cotton too)
  • Cordage - (all ropes + oakum) made of hemp + tar
  • Blocks - all types of blocks required for the ship (made of lignum vitae)

Fittings

• Cables and Howsers 
  • Iron fittings (all minor metal parts from small like nails to heavy like anchors)
  • Wooden fittings (all wooden parts from decks to wooden nails + furniture) - oak
  • Ballast (stone)
  • Furnishings - certain ship require special fittings, especially decorated ones. Those are made from red wood, gold and silver.

Resources and Materials.

Resources are produced by ports as before. Materials can only be crafted by players. 

Example:

• Hemp - resource; Tar resources
  • Hemp + Tar = produces cordage - cordage is a material.

Players who don't like to travel themselves can place purchase orders or sell orders for materials that will override NPC pricing for resources. If your order price is the highest everyone who sells oak in that port will sell to you. 

Quality and crafting notes

Ship builder will be able to increase the quality of the vessel if his level allows. Quality of the ship improves inherent characteristics + provides extra slots for upgrades. 

To increase the quality one special resource is needed - called crafting notes. 

• Crafting notes represent inspiration that a crafter can suddenly get when making ships and write it down. These notes can drop when making a ship.
  • Sometimes you can capture such crafting notes from enemy captains who found something about their ship and wrote it down. You can use those notes in the construction then.

Changes to upgrades

• Hidden upgrades: Inherent characteristics of the vessel that were created when making a vessel. Good or bad weather, drunk woodworkers, bad mood, defects in construction can make ship worse or better. Those are completely random and will improve only with the crafting level (from the next patch) currently they are completely random except for wood type.
  • Permanent upgrades: Upgrades like extra planking, or speed trim - that can only be installed once. They are destroyed if you take them off. 
  • Replaceable upgrades: Upgrades like Pellew sights - that can be easily removed and brought to another vessel. 

Other changes

Bots will only have ships that are available through the universal recipes. Bots will no longer sail constitutions or mercury brigs. Those ships will have to be crafted or bought from crafters. Stores will also not have such ships anymore. 

ps. we will try to make it with upgrade recipes this patch if not they will roll out in 1.5 weeks.

Can't wait to try it. Haven't crafted much in any game so it all seems a bit confusing to me but it's what I've wanted to try all along.

One question thou: Will there be some way in the game for some players to order a ship from a crafter and when it's complete for the crafter to sell it directly to who commissioned it?

Can't wait to try it. Haven't crafted much in any game so it all seems a bit confusing to me but it's what I've wanted to try all along.

One question thou: Will there be some way in the game for some players to order a ship from a crafter and when it's complete for the crafter to sell it directly to who commissioned it?

Player to player trade window and NPC shipments will come in the the patch 8. (crafting is patch 7)

Sounds great! Only one comment: anything related to trim should not be a permament upgrade. Trim by its nature is not permament, but a captain's decision on how to configure the ship. In that sense it is transferable, even though it is not physical, portable object.

Better example of a permament module would be copper plating (although I'm still not a huge fan of this providing a raw speed bonus in a new ship).

I have one long-term concern with the system requiring you to craft a number of ships of a certain type to progress. In general demand will probably be low at the start, and certain ships will probably always be in lower demand. I can see the market becoming flooded with huge numbers of, for example, brigs that can't be sold. If we can't sell the ships we make to fund making more ships, we will either be stuck, or forced to grind AI to continue progressing.

Will there be a way to sell ships to non-players (e.g. "the Admiralty") for low or no profit to at least cover the costs of building them?

Sounds great! Only one comment: anything related to trim should not be a permament upgrade. Trim by its nature is not permament, but a captain's decision on how to configure the ship. In that sense it is transferable, even though it is not physical, portable object.

Better example of a permament module would be copper plating (although I'm still not a huge fan of this providing a raw speed bonus in a new ship).

I have one long-term concern with the system requiring you to craft a number of ships of a certain type to progress. In general demand will probably be low at the start, and certain ships will probably always be in lower demand. I can see the market becoming flooded with huge numbers of, for example, brigs that can't be sold. If we can't sell the ships we make to fund making more ships, we will either be stuck, or forced to grind AI to continue progressing.

Will there be a way to sell ships to non-players (e.g. "the Admiralty") for low or no profit to at least cover the costs of building them?

I'm not an Econ guy, but I'm very glad to see this moving along.  Side question here.  Will national NPC groups and navy commands be buying ships that players craft?  Could that be a possible source for demand, and a way to have ships that players don't desire as much to move through the system? 

Player to player trade window and NPC shipments will come in the the patch 8. (crafting is patch 7)

Make sure you add option trade at sea. Spot Trader NPC, click trade (Ship drops sails and player can sell goods). These can be good for those who need to sell stolen goods quick for cheap (junk merchants). Similar design can be spotted in Elder Scrolls online as an example. 

I hope not. Why build anything anywhere else if that's the case? Such a feature would also cripple trading and traders.

You misunderstood what he asked i think

Resources will stay the same way as they are. from 2 to 4 per port. You won't be able to craft ships without hauling (or someone hauling with you). 

Will the blueprints you can unlock be tied to your nationality? For example, will only American ship builders get Constitution blueprints or will any nationality get them.

Also, what about pirates, will the weight (size) of the ships they are able to build be limited due to their lack of a national infrastructure to support their efforts?

Will the blueprints you can unlock be tied to your nationality? For example, will only American ship builders get Constitution blueprints or will any nationality get them.

The French had frigates that carried 30 24-pounders before the Americans did, so it would be a crime to restrict Connie to the US.

What I would like to see... okay, it's a bit off topic, but well... still kinda crafting related... What I would like to see, once we are able to capture towms, is that the longer one is able to hold a town the more ressources this town would generate. For example for a few days nothing at all, because in the fight a lot was broken and has to be cleaned and repaired first, and then resources generation would slowly start.

Also, depending how a port fight goes (but have to see how the port battles actually work. Hope that players will actually have to engage port defenses) the resource generation could also be lowered after a battle even if the town is not lost.

And I would like to see the possibility to increase port defenses of ports that are in the hand of one nation for a long time.

Make sure you add option trade at sea. Spot Trader NPC, click trade (Ship drops sails and player can sell goods). These can be good for those who need to sell stolen goods quick for cheap (junk merchants). Similar design can be spotted in Elder Scrolls online as an example. 

interesting idea

how would they move loads of oak from ship to ship?

interesting idea

Maybe make this available only for some goods, like rations, water, animals (if this will ever exist), and have heavy goods require a port to be loaded and unloaded.

Just a few suggestions:

(apparently I didn't read the last part of your post)

1) I kind of like the idea of combining raw resources to produce more of an end product.  While I wouldn't want something as complex as SWG or the Repopulation, I would love to see this system expanded a little bit more. More combining of several individual rigging components to make a 'full rigging' that would be a final component of a ship.

2) Make it so that each component requires some kind of skill level, so someone with skill level of 1 might fail several times trying to make a component but someone with 100 never does.   

3) Introduce different grades/quality of individual components.  So low level crafters would just be making common stuff, while higher level crafters could make higher quality stuff.  Ideally you want 

4) Have it so there is some kind of skill decay if you stop making components for a certain time.  So maybe optimally you would have a 'sails guy' a 'mast guy' a 'hull guy', etc where it would be most efficient if each person only focused on crafting in one particular area.  So building the nicest ship would require a team effort kind of like in real life.  

5) I assume the 'resources' tab in the UI will allow players to buy/sell individual components?

6) I realize there are ppl who'd rather focus on combat than gathering components, so make it so you can buy most basic lowest common quality components at capital ports for those that don't want to mess with the finer details to craft a better ship.  The rarer, higher quality components could be a player only thing, or randomly spawn a small amount at a few remote ports every once in a while (Bermuda, Aves, etc) - would reward explorers who could then resell for a higher price at a more common port.

7) I don't know if you've considered having the quality of a ship have some kind of influence over the number of durabilities?

8) I like the concept of buildings...would love to hear anymore details about that, what type of buildings besides shipyards?  taverns to boost morale?  trade depots?  forts?

9) You say bots will basically only be sailing basic brigs and small frigates.  What do players in larger ships need to do to get experience?  Do we really have to go back to fighting brig fleets or capital defenses or other players?

10) I really think we should break up repair kits into sails/cordage, masts, planking components, and maybe replacing with a better mast means it can take more hits, etc.

11) Are we going to know what the hidden upgrades are?  Or will we be left one day wondering, why does my ship always veer 2 degrees to port when I've still got my rudder pointed straight?

6) I realize there are ppl who'd rather focus on combat than gathering components, so make it so you can buy most basic lowest common quality components at capital ports for those that don't want to mess with the finer details to craft a better ship.  The rarer, higher quality components could be a player only thing, or randomly spawn a small amount at a few remote ports every once in a while (Bermuda, Aves, etc) - would reward explorers who could then resell for a higher price at a more common port.

Why not just make the battle and trading guys earn money so that they can buy their ships from the crafting guys?

And if crafting is complex enough you could even earn a reputation as a good crafter, and get more costumers because all want your stuff ;)

interesting idea

The same way you would launch a 35-foot ship's boat: using the main yard like a crane.

But I doubt they would really do that. Best to limit at-sea trading by weights. Nothing heavier than a barrel.

A thought:

The French, British and Spaniards were fighting over this area for 100 years.  Why?

Some ports have much more valuable resources than others (even including a, fine, sheltered anchorage.) and so were fought over more often.  

Will this be reflected in the game?  (ie, X port is more valuable than Y.) 

Will players/countries be able to fortify these ports?  Or will they be held just as long as your fleet is bigger than the enemy's?  

Will this require and will the game reflect co-operation within national fleets to provide security?  Or will it be "bought"?

thx again!