Game-Labs Forum

how were lower gunports sealed against weather?

Destraex

The old wooden ships had significant leakage problems due to the limitations of caulking materials used, the water also naturally "leaked in". The water would keep the boards a bit swollen which would actually help keep the boards sealed as much as possible. The water in the bilge was monitored each watch and when it became too deep they'd pump it out. 

(Please correct me if i'm wrong).

- I have no links, i read it quite some time ago. I'd love to learn more about the subject as well so any links would be greatly appreciated. ^^ 

Whether they were able to seal the gunports properly i have no idea. But based on the above my best guess is that they probably did their best to keep it sealed but even then, water would still leak through the gunports.
(Just a guess.) 

The old wooden ships had significant leakage problems due to the limitations of caulking materials used, the water also naturally "leaked in". The water would keep the boards a bit swollen which would actually help keep the boards sealed as much as possible. The water in the bilge was monitored each watch and when it became too deep they'd pump it out. 

(Please correct me if i'm wrong).

- I have no links, i read it quite some time ago. I'd love to learn more about the subject as well so any links would be greatly appreciated. ^^ 

iirc you are right, however that said the gunport were "waterproof", basically it was just as waterpoof as the rest of the ship when closed however pumping still had to be done periodically, storm or no storm.

correct me if im wrong though

• Like 1

Well when I was at the bataviawarf near Lelystad we took this tour and the tour guide had this whole story of how deck was laid at an angle from middle to sides. Like this the water would go to the sides and leak down to the hold, whereafter it would get pumped out. That is atleast what I got from it. :P

Well when I was at the bataviawarf near Lelystad we took this tour and the tour guide had this whole story of how deck was laid at an angle from middle to sides. Like this the water would go to the sides and leak down to the hold, whereafter it would get pumped out. That is atleast what I got from it. :P

No scuppers?

Where the heck do you puke and pee with no scuppers?

Even on modern (wooden) replica tall ships you check the water level in the bilge while you are on watch! Pumping is much easier with electric pump though! Also much easier to see in the bilge with an electric flashlight!

AFAIK - Batavia does have some form of scuppers. She was built without modern concessions like bulkheads etc, so whatever the technology was in 1625 that's it. Perhaps what he meant was that some water always finds its way in and down into the bilge!

They could seal the gun ports just like other seams in the wood, but most likely never did in men of war.  However, for a merchant ship with a few ineffectual cannons, it would be possible that they would caulk them closed because keeping the cargo dry was more important than the rarely used cannons being readily accessible.  I do remember an action in the Aubrey/Maturin series where I believe Jack is fighting a cannon on an East Indiaman and had to fire through the gun port to open it due to many layers of paint sealing it shut, iirc.  Being that O'Brian was a great researcher, I wouldn't be surprised if it was based on an actual account.