Game-Labs Forum

Put some ships from 16th and 17th centuries

Hello devs and captains,

I know the game is related to the beautiful age of sails which is essentially the 18th century. However, i think it would be realistic and nice to put one or two ships from another age of great sailing, which is the age of the beginning of exploration : 16th centuries.

That's why i think it would be very nice to play some ships like galeons, related to the first great naval discoveries made by european nations (Colomb in 1492, Jacques Cartier , Vasco de Gama etc...)

Moreover, their ships had some weapons, cannons to defend themselves, which enables to adapt them to the game's gameplay.

Best regards

Kimball

What about in the future a specific "Naval Action - Age of Exploration" or an add-on on a dedicated server with XVIth-century ships and Terra Incognita ? ;)

It could be great. Dreams...

However, there could be "more" late-XVIIth century ships in the current NA.

Edited by LeBoiteux

I can really see it only as premium ship for real money and pleasure purposes...

I really wouldn't like a galleon to be balanced against other ships in game. Trincomalee (even Cherubim) would eat a galleon for breakfast any day.... Just as HMS King George V would eat up HMS Victory any day. 200 years is just too much in military development....

• Like 2

And how are the devs going to balance this? 17-th century ships (not to mention 16-th cent.) were  inferior to the ships we already have in the game in terms of both armament and sailing qualities. We might as well add 1830-s Paixhans gun monsters if we don't care about the balance.

• Like 1

I know that galeons can't challenge with 18th century's frigates or line vessels. However, it could be nice traders or light-military ships i think. 

Play these ships would be more "esthetic" than to challenge modern military ships like trincomalee or victory.

Biggest galeons were able to challenge frigates of the 18th century. Some of the biggest spain and portugese galeons had around 20 cannons per side, and even sometimes more (spanish armada was coming back to Europe with gold, and with very impressive vessels...)  I don't see why it couldn't match witht the current gameplay. 

The only unrealistic thing to do is to put 18th century cannons in galeons. But i think it could enhance the available ships a lot, and add some nice new gameplay, and alternative to line vessels.

Biggest galeons were able to challenge frigates of the 18th century. Some of the biggest spain and portugese galeons had around 20 cannons per side, and even sometimes more (spanish armada was coming back to Europe with gold, and with very impressive vessels...)  I don't see why it couldn't match witht the current gameplay. 

Not really. Maximum Galleon speed would be 8 knots. Maximum late 18 century frigate speed would be around 14 knots, which is almost twice as fast. Armament on the galleon would be less effective than on the frigate (lower range, lower penetration and lower accuracy due to smaller guns, smaller charge with the same ball weight). Manoeuvrability would be terrible for galleon and it would carry only about 200 men. 

At the game period, Galleons belonged to the museums, just as much as HMS Trincomalee belongs to the museum today (same time difference). However, if you want to support devs, pay for a bad ship and sail around Caribbean in a museum, because you like it, I am all for that.

However, if you start wanting the thing to be able to beat other ships in 1v1, then that will be a problem for me....

• Like 2

What about in the future a specific "Naval Action - Age of Exploration" or an add-on on a dedicated server with XVIth-century ships and Terra Incognita ? ;)

It could be great. Dreams...

However, there could be "more" late-XVIIth century ships in the current NA.

This^^ would be cool!

Hard to see combining 16th century galleons in NA though. By the time of the Armada the English had already developed a new type called the race built galleon that could out sail and out shoot the Spanish/Portuguese ships. The galleons of the Armanda were designed more for boarding combat then artillery duels. If you are frustrated by sailing upwind in the OW now, try it in a galleon!

I will say that some of the late 17th - early 18th century (baroque) designs are quite beautiful.

Its simple:

Suggest ships in the shipyard section. In the future we will have a new voting about ships. Admins said we will have to choose between non english and non american vessels. Which buffs the chance of others quite significant.

Galleons were used by the spanish even in the 18th century as traders.

If enough users want such ships to be in the game it will happen.

We will have the choice, Most likely between 2-3 ships which are going to come ingame in the future.

btw:

with the announcment of new votings I am certain that the devs are really close to finishing most of the current ships in queue. (Commerce de Marseille; Indefatigable; Amsterdam indiamen)