Game-Labs Forum

Turning back from Pirate to your nation (mistakes happen)

I have today attacked by mistake a neutral fleet... I got out of the battle without firing a single shot, but turned pirate anyway.

From what I have read, I am not the only one this has happened to.

An option to change back to your former nation could be implemented, with a fee of course,  the amount being related to the number of ships you sunk as a pirate in order not to make switching to easy , or some other way.

This is in my opinion quite an experience breaking issue, as people who have encountered this problem never intended to turn pirate in the first place, and lose all their outposts in the process, as well as ships and modules stored there, and have a hard time continuing playing with the friends they made among their nation.

I hope this is something you guys can remedy in the future.

Apart from that...You guys have made an amazing game!

I believe being able to return from piracy will be a long term goal as far as development goals: it needs to be made to where it cannot be gamed or abused (continuously switching back and forth)

But I do not think that the devs intend for going pirate to be a point of no return. It is only this way at the moment for testing purposes.

Also all will be wiped before release, so it is advisable that no attachments be made to the outposts and ships (and even gold).

Starting a new alt is about all you can do currently.

I guess, but I'll stick to pirate until the full release, don't want to start over just because of a stupid mistake due to lack of attention.

By the way I just noticed that it's kind of buggy when you turn pirate ; I still have my French outposts and ships in there appearing, but of course I can't access them. Doesn't really matter, just wanted to signal it.

I guess, but I'll stick to pirate until the full release, don't want to start over just because of a stupid mistake due to lack of attention.

By the way I just noticed that it's kind of buggy when you turn pirate ; I still have my French outposts and ships in there appearing, but of course I can't access them. Doesn't really matter, just wanted to signal it.

Contact Nornica or Ragnar Lodbrok 2, or Sureshot. They will arrange a warm welcome to pirate fleets. 

Remember it is a test not a game - maybe excellent time to roleplay as a pirate for some time.

• Like 1

Nornica and Ragnar are obsolete - i mean hibernated :ph34r: Same here...

I saw Ragnar this weekend :)

Danishviking is still around sometimes. 

Bismarck too.

PS

It is possible to find some pirate group. Please be careful - some pirates are role-playing as criminals. And attack their own very often. 

Unless of course you want to try the "pirate life for me".

• Like 1

Contact Nornica or Ragnar Lodbrok 2, or Sureshot. They will arrange a warm welcome to pirate fleets. 

Remember it is a test not a game - maybe excellent time to roleplay as a pirate for some time.

don't forget SeaWolf. q-q

There should be a fee + system where you have to show some redemption (e.g. do some missions or similar to help the nation) as well as a set timer before you can switch.

You commit a pirate act then you should be stuck as a pirate for X days depending on severity.

E.g. you do a mistake, never fired a shot and left then it might just be hours. However, if you engage, sink and plunder ships then it was by no means an accident and thus you should be forced to stay a pirate for X days (3-7 days I'm thinking). This way you can't just plunder ships and then go "oops, so sorry" and switch back within the hour.

Deciding to go pirate should come with consequences that are felt.

If you later want to redeem your ways then the fee and amount of work (missions, tasks, quests whatever) should reflect the amount of ships you sank, plunder you stole and so forth.

With a rigid system in place it will prevent 1-day-pirates who just plunder "because they can", and it will make pirates, to a degree, band together since they can't just easily wipe the slate clean.

Having things so black and white are for cartoons and jack sparrow movies. There needs to be wiggle room for smugglers and dodgy privateers....you know - grey areas - 

The rep system that's been thrown about by almost everybody in this forum would help.

So say you attack somebody form a nation you should not have. Your rep in you own nation goes way down and lots of items become unavailable to you and you can only get basic missions again. The nation you attack calls you a pirate and puts a bounty on your head.

No other nation has you marked as a pirate - they either don't know or don't care. 

That's the better pirate tag. It would only be the true hardcore that would deliberately attack all nations to make them see you as a pirate.

• Like 2

I also have almost become a pirate through pressing attack buttons with muscle memory instead of reading the warning. It would be nice to see that if a mistake was made and you did no damage to the nation ships you attacked then it wouldn't label you a pirate.

Otherwise, returning to a nation should be possible imo, but very hard.

I don't claim to be an expert on pirates but my understanding is that the crown offered notorious pirates pardons for services rendered to the crown. So, I'd suggest that returning to a nation should require making yourself so notorious that the nation finds it more advantageous to enlist you then to constantly hunt you. In the game it would translate to your ability to survive and take prizes. Anytime you are caught it resets your stats, making it very hard to become notorious.

Having a pirate ranking based off of survival and success would do more to encourage pirates to act like pirates then anything else that I can think of.

• Like 1

Incidentally, I experimented with turning to pirate yesterday with a USA alt. After the combat, I was still on the USA channel and couldn't join the Pirate channel.

I still can't use F11, so I'm reporting it here instead.

when I did that it required logging off and back on to "take".

Maybe they could have one more popup box like are you really really sure you want to do this and if you do there is no going back?

You did have click the box that warned you..............

People can make mistakes in their haste in the heat of the chase.