Game-Labs Forum

Sadly: Its not a Game Its An Historical Recreation

Sadly: because the bulk of customers will be those yearning for a competitive environment in which to hone their skills. Simple fact. No big deal, just a fact. But this is a choice and hey Nick's passion for history wins out, great!

I, for one, love the strive for historical accuracy. There are always gamers who see nothing but a game where they can min/max their characters etc., but then there are also people who love the possibility to "live the life" in a different era and different place. It is not about winning so much as it is about the experience itself.

• Like 2

I agree with David Fair. I think artillery of both sides is overeffective in the game.

In UGG if your goal is to preserve your army while inflicting maximum casualties to the enemy army, you can do nothing but bombard enemy with artillery. While playing CSA I would put artillery forward and bomb the Union lines inflicting about 2000 casualties IN JUST A FEW HOURS - and that makes up 2/3 of all artillery casualties suffered by both sides during the whole battle.

When I started playing the game, I thought artillery is shit. It looks that it is about 10 times more effective than actual one... who thought?

It is not about winning so much as it is about the experience itself.

I have no understanding, and minimal respect for this.

How about a compromise? The game already has an option to allow the AI to cheat, giving it various stats-bonuses. How about an option that gives the AI stats-penalties, as well? The closest thing this game would have to a traditional "Easy Mode", in other words?

This could allow Nick Thomadis to keep overpowering the CSA because "realism", but the rest of us could still get an enjoyable experience. Everyone wins.

• 4 weeks later...

How about a compromise? The game already has an option to allow the AI to cheat, giving it various stats-bonuses. How about an option that gives the AI stats-penalties, as well? The closest thing this game would have to a traditional "Easy Mode", in other words?

Certainly an easy mode is a good idea - and other difficulty levels as well, so that one could be named "realistic" and others would go under and above that one.

Susimetsa,

I'm confused by your presentation of what you want.

Currently there is a matrix where you select the AI behavior and the difficulty level.

Is the problem that the game isn't "easy enough" to get the degree of victory that you desire?

Are you looking for a "pro-South" and "pro-North" setting so you can strongly influence the outcome of which side will prevail?

Are you looking for a change in the final battle report status of the game that says "Congratulations - You've won a glorious victory" at the end of each phase?

• 2 weeks later...

I dont agree at all that the Confederate player can just charge away at the Union and expect good results. Most often, people who trye that, at least in my games, are repulsed with Pickett's Charge-like casualties to boot.

Perhaps this video might be of some inspiration: 

We can also play any scenario you'd like in which you think the Confederates can easily win. I'll be Union and I'll eat my words if you can just throw troops at me and win :)

That is an epic defense @Koro - I can't even come close to playing like that. How do you make a single line of infantry without them all bunching together? Just recognizing the spacing they need on the map?

Edit: I just tried the Group > Group Formation and it works fairly well. Is there any other way of getting units into a line?

Edited by paulus1975

Hi Paulus. Thanks for your comment. I think I just move units up next to each other yes and then the individual units AI will arrange them in a neat line.

Also by working with reserved you are capable of filling out any gaps in the line.

Paulus,

another way to obtain this is to select multiple units at once (either by the "lasso" feature or by ctrl-left clicking on them).

Then, if you ctrl-right click on the destination you want, you'll see that the game will handily arrange them in a tidy line upon arrival.

Edited by IheardITthruTHEgrapeshot