Game-Labs Forum

Masts and Spars Collision Physics

With boarding back in, I suspect we've all been getting up close and personal with vessels once again. I'm sure we've all seen our bowsprits pass through the masts of friendly and enemy ships.

What I propose, and I do not know if it is possible to do this or how easy or difficult it would be to implement it, is to extend the same physicality of the hulls to masts and spars.

In doing so, we would see rigging get tangled (I think), adding to the historicality of boarding. Further, stronger bowsprits (such as on a frigate) might be enough to dismast a cutter. Or the cutter's mast might break off the bowsprit, slowing both in the process.

Further, when we see rough seas again, boarding may become much more perilous, as masts become entangled with each other, again, slowing down both vessels, and perhaps dismasting in the process.

This could be further improved upon by having multiple breaking points for masts - one for each sail.

It would likely take a goodly sum of work, but I also think it would pay large dividends on the "simulator" side of things.

• Like 6