Game-Labs Forum

Major issue with CTD and new boarding

Guest raat

I was preparing for a boarding engagement with 850+ crew in my Victory and my preparation was at 81.  I then crashed to desktop.  When I logged back in, I then initiated boarding with the person I planned to board.

He instantly won even with less crew than me because my MORALE WAS AT ZERO.  To be clear, my morale started at zero.  So no matter what I would choose, I lose.  And now I'm out of a durability on my Victory.

kgeB2Zc.jpg

Same thing happened to a Santi player just minutes before.  The player I boarded was initially in a Pavel.  The boarding bug happened to my Santi friend and that's how this player got the Santi in the first place.

This is game breaking.

Edited by Raatha

I'm just noticing another bug with this screenshot.  This player was initially in a Pavel (650 crew).  Look at his crew.  He must've repaired crew when he got into the Santi and recovered crew he didn't even have to begin with.

I actually was back in battle just before the boarding engagement started.  To me, it didn't seem like there was a round at all.  I certainly didn't notice that I had a chance to choose anything.  It was pretty instant that I lost.  Perhaps, there was lag?  I don't know.

But regardless, when the boarding initiated, my morale was already at zero.

In your case it might be a bug but losing a ship in one second can happen and it feels wrong no matter how badly prepared you or your crew might be.

I was boarded by a sinking ship, clicked disengage (a mistake) and immediately surrendered. 

My 750ish men when confronted with fewer boarders from a collapsing hulk just threw in the towel. Me thinks initial morale shouldn't be so low that you lose instantly in the first round if your ships are in good shape otherwise.

Raatha, I initiated a boarding action against you and fought several rounds, inflicting severe casualties.  Notice your crew in that screenshot.  Your morale did *not* start at zero, it was reduced to zero during the action due to heavy casualties.  Your ship attempted to disengage from the action after the 1st round, so I reasonably assumed that a human was still in control on the other end.

You are also correct to notice that my crew appears unusually high.  I used my surgeon shortly after taking command of the Santi, and it apparently restored the maximum crew it could restore, rather than the 700 crew I started with on my Pavel.  That is definitely a bug.

Edited by Prince of Whales

Raatha, I initiated a boarding action against you and fought several rounds, inflicting severe casualties.  Notice your crew in that screenshot.  Your morale did *not* start at zero, it was reduced to zero during the action due to heavy casualties.  Your ship attempted to disengage from the action after the 1st round, so I reasonably assumed that a human was still in control on the other end.

You are also correct to notice that my crew appears unusually high.  I used my surgeon shortly after taking command of the Santi, and it apparently restored the maximum crew it could restore, rather than the 700 crew I started with on my Pavel.  That is definitely a bug.

How about with your engagement with the Santi player?  He said the same thing about the 0 morale bug.

If you had several rounds, then why does it only show 1 round?  A boarding engagement lists every round.  There's only one there and it shows you attacked for 313 kills and it was over.

For me, I logged in, had no boarding menu.  Hitting 'G' was available, I hit G.  Boarding started, then that screenshot is essentially the next thing I saw.

I dont think that your morale of crew should start at 0 anyway, you where fighting with that ship before trying to board it and the men where allready at their station s doing their job so i presume they had at least some morale to begin with. im not saying that they should have 100 morale at the begining of the battle but they shuold have some at least 20-50 at the start of the battle.

Or if this mechanic is working as intended and you do start boarding at 0 morale then they shuold implement a indicator in the UI that your crew is on 0 morale so that you know prior to boarding that your crew is very low on morale and then you wont engage in boarding you will simple just obliterate him from the sea and thats it .

I rather doubt the Santi player's claims of crash and bug because he was issuing various commands throughout the boarding action, including counterattack, defend, and fire deck guns.  His fight was very different from both Raatha's and from every AI boarding action I've fought.

Again, neither player started at 0 morale, they started with nearly full morale and were reduced to 0 over several rounds of boarding.  I don't know why Raatha's screenshot shows the results of several rounds combined into one but it probably is related to the crash to desktop and subsequent re-entry into the match.  Yes, there are bugs here.  But not the one Raatha is claiming.  The crew repair bug and the weird way Raatha was shown the results are clearly wrong.  I initiated the boarding action, so he should have re-entered the game already in the boarding screen.  It also should have shown all of the rounds.

I know the Santi player CTD'd before he was boarded.  We were in TeamSpeak together and called out he had crashed well before you were even near him to board.  I mentioned you were boarding him and he said he still wasn't in game yet.

Whether he then was able to get into the match and actively defended against the boarding after that I don't know.

Between what happened to me, the crew issue, all the CTD's, and the fact that a Pavel player successfully boarded a Santisima (700 crew vs. 1050 crew) and a Victory (850+ crew with 81 prep) player back to back after they both had CTD moments before they were boarded shows problems with the system.

Whether it's all bugs or just bad morale mechanics or game instability with the new boarding system...only Admin will know.  But it's an issue.  One that needs looking into.