Game-Labs Forum

nations rising the pirate flag

i hate to do this when we just reported mrdoran and his rakers. but it has to be said right after patch me and sureshot got on and saw a lone cerb(pirate) outside of le moule we went over and attacked it because we wanted to try out the new boarding system. after we were trying to demast it. Then a ton of people joined in and we knew they were brits because we have been fighting them for the past week or so. here is the chat log.

[2015-Jul-30 14:59:27.411361] SeaWolf: lol guys
[2015-Jul-30 14:59:58.388268] SeaWolf: nats who raise the pirate banner gets sent to pirates
[2015-Jul-30 15:00:22.259632] SeaWolf: thats what the admin said
[2015-Jul-30 15:01:13.799584] SeaWolf: no comment?
[2015-Jul-30 15:01:18.577858] freddykrueger: well see
[2015-Jul-30 15:01:53.639865] Agesilaus II SLRN: we will kick your ass either way
[2015-Jul-30 15:08:22.902387] Sureshot: to them this is a *fair fight*
[2015-Jul-30 15:08:37.263181] freddykrueger: dont thrash talk in chat first then
[2015-Jul-30 15:08:52.685064] Sureshot: i was telling the truth and yet you do it again
[2015-Jul-30 15:09:05.620805] SeaWolf: For nationsIf you are nation raising a pirate flag is an offense (raising a pirate flag was punishable by death in the age of sail). Sinking friendlies makes you a dishonorable coward and is very hard to wash off.It is forbidden and will be punished by de
[2015-Jul-30 15:09:13.246241] Sureshot: hahahha
[2015-Jul-30 15:09:14.431310] SeaWolf: demote
[2015-Jul-30 15:09:18.380536] SeaWolf: sent to pirates
[2015-Jul-30 15:09:21.488716] Sureshot: have fun
[2015-Jul-30 15:09:29.105150] Sureshot: :)
[2015-Jul-30 15:09:29.322162] SeaWolf: Be a Pirate - Teamkilling
[2015-Jul-30 15:09:32.926371] SeaWolf: is the topic
[2015-Jul-30 15:09:56.425714] Sureshot: send me that on steam wolf
[2015-Jul-30 15:09:58.736847] freddykrueger: were not doing friendly damage when you are on the opposite team
[2015-Jul-30 15:10:08.751420] Sureshot: nats cant join rat battles
[2015-Jul-30 15:10:09.050437] freddykrueger: if we were on your side it would be punishable
[2015-Jul-30 15:10:09.992492] SeaWolf: you are raising the pirate flag
[2015-Jul-30 15:10:15.177789] Sureshot: ^^^^^^^
[2015-Jul-30 15:10:21.591155] Sureshot: ajaja
[2015-Jul-30 15:10:23.172246] freddykrueger: we will see
[2015-Jul-30 15:10:36.901033] Sureshot: yep :)
[2015-Jul-30 15:11:38.442557] Sureshot: Demotion to LeutenantBecome a Pirate
[2015-Jul-30 15:11:55.453531] Sureshot: right from admin 3:
[2015-Jul-30 15:20:02.881858] 7/30/2015 3:20:02 PM

now to according to this post admin said here.
"For nations

If you are nation raising a pirate flag is an offense (raising a pirate flag was punishable by death in the age of sail). Sinking friendlies makes you a dishonorable coward and is very hard to wash off.

It is forbidden and will be punished by demotion, subsequent offenses will cause transfer to pirates, where those players belong. "

This is a no no for nations and here is some screen shots of them.

y0W2FV2.jpg9LPvhUv.jpgrNvB50G.jpg

• Like 1

Admin was specifically refering to nationals joining pirate side and then killing pirates on their own team. He has since clarified the rules that no one, including pirates, is allowed to kill teammates (i.e. people with green text over them.) There is no prohibition against nationals joining the pirate side in a battle, and there shouldn't be, as otherwise pirates can just sail around in groups and attack eachother or pirate AI whenever they want to avoid combat.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6419-warning-friendly-kills-for-all-nations-are-not-allowed/

If you have to reach back to old, locked threads rather than referring to the most recent pinned post on rules, you are probably on shaky ground.

• Like 1

Well, Admin threatened previously that any National that raises a Pirate flag would be face a court martial or be turned Pirate. http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6289-be-a-pirate-teamkilling/?p=119510

That was more specifically about teamkilling, but he does say specifically:

"If you are nation raising a pirate flag is an offense (raising a pirate flag was punishable by death in the age of sail)."

So....I would say, at best, it's not clear.  I wouldn't be so quick to put words in Admin's mouth (or even infer).  Rules change as we just saw.

Edited by Raatha
  • Like 2

I'd hope that if a captain was about to become a Pirate, there would be a warning like when we accidentally tag a friendly ship, there's a chance to rethink that choice no? I'd have certainly not joined if that had been the case. Either way, SeaWolf and Sureshot managed to escape which in my opinion was a good tactic in their fast Connie's. I'd have done the same.

I believe the admin was simply making a historical comparison, and also stating that going pirate is a"point-of-no-return" as there is currently no system to change back after going pirate. I.e. it's a warning that if you plan on going pirate, make sure you have your effects in order before you do.

As far as the RoE, I believe it is only reffering to Nationals turning on their friends. As I understand it, Pirate FF only occurs when pirates of the same team/side fire on one another in battle. Pirates are allowed to engage other pirates in the open world without reprisal and if a nation joins a Pirate v Pirate match, all bets are off (that is my understanding anyway)

Well, Admin has made it clear in that same post I linked:

"PS captains who did not know the rules will still be punished unless they are forgiven by another side of the battle."

Not knowing is not an excuse he accepts...

• Like 2

That would, or could, have implications far beyond just this case alone. 

First things first : We did not at any moment team kill, so any comparison to that earlier incident SeaWolf is referring to is  not appliccable here. 

Last but not least ; this statement : 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, Admin threatened previously that any National that raises a Pirate flag would be face a court martial or be turned Pirate. http://forum.game-la...lling/?p=119510

That was more specifically about teamkilling, but he does say specifically:

"If you are nation raising a pirate flag is an offense (raising a pirate flag was punishable by death in the age of sail)."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would argue that the punishment of death was applied to captains who "turned coats" anyway (suddenly fighting for the Spanish etc). Lets say youre a British Captain, then join the Spanish against the Americans....Surely that would lead to some reactions from the Admirality at the time ? Allso: if the pirates can join either side of an ongoing battle, whatever their nationality may be, why is it illegal for any other nation to do the same, but with pirate vs pirate battles ? Because, is it not a battle between two enemies, even though they are sailing under a pirate flag ?

Thanks for posting for clarification

Green on green damage is not allowed - which means sinking the person ON YOUR SIDE of the battle.

In this case if am not mistaken they joined your enemy side which is ok.

Raising a pirate flag does not mean literally raising it in battle for ID purposes. It means attacking friendlies. For example brits attacking brits, or sinking friendlies on your team.

• Like 4

Thanks for posting for clarification

Green on green damage is not allowed - which means sinking the person ON YOUR SIDE of the battle.

In this case if am not mistaken they joined your enemy side which is ok.

Raising a pirate flag does not mean literally raising it in battle for ID purposes. It means attacking friendlies. For example brits attacking brits, or sinking friendlies on your team.

Ok so nations can raise the pirate flag but cannot TK. Looks like EH is about to get more even crazy >.>.

Ok so nations can raise the pirate flag but cannot TK. Looks like EH is about to get more even crazy >.>.

They are not raising the pirate flag Per Se. We give it to them in instances. Attacking friendly ships without the act of war = act of piracy or real raising of the pirate flag.

But pirate vs pirate and battle entry mechanics need work and tuning. Perhaps you can provide feedback and ideas in the open world section. 

Hmmm yea thanks for the clarification I have been avoiding these types of battles for the op reason given. I had thought it was clear raise A pirate flag your demoted do it again a few times your removed to pirates.

I did it at the start of OW and I looked on the back of my ship and the Jolly Roger was flying there plain as day I had raised the pirate flag and was shipping out in battle on a pirate side in this battle (Just because a GB player had in essence flipped me the bird in a previous battle and I wanted to repay the kindness and stuff the bird down his gizzard) which I did and then the ruling came and I thought like the op it was very clear raise the pirate flag on a national ship your punished so maybe in battle just a pennant not the Jolly Roger gets raised ?.

They are not raising the pirate flag Per Se. We give it to them in instances. Attacking friendly ships without the act of war = act of piracy or real raising of the pirate flag.

But pirate vs pirate and battle entry mechanics need work and tuning. Perhaps you can provide feedback and ideas in the open world section. 

Ill see what i can come up with but most people don't like my ideas. :P