Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Terra187

Open World Population

I would like the dev's to thing about opening the game up to more new players. I am very afraid that we are making a game for no more then 200 people. If they change to much with out have a proper playing population in the game, we could have some very bad mechanics. Like PVP  with more people we can open up the door to more pvp choices. We can really see what we need to change. The more PVP testing we can do in open world the better for all of us. Because let's be honest with 30- 180 people online at a time and 16 million square km. Finding the 20 of us that want to fight is very hard. I also under stand from a dev's point you don't want to over load you severs. But, changing PVP before we have a working population in the game is just bad development. We can also see what the trading in mass will do the new open world markets. That would let us change it more to fit the player's needs. I am not saying to open the game to thousand of people. But, if we could have a playing  population of about 500 people i thing a lot of problems would work them selfies out like PVP, and ganking. If the sever's cant handle it i understand but, i would like the dev's to look into this. Before they change to much about the game.

-Terra187 

I cannot agree more, with more players the possibilities for improvement and reported bugs would skyrocket.

This would also get rid of people complaining about too little PvP and make it so we don't hav to spend two weeks getting enough money to scrape to a the next decent ship.

More players would also come to aid of outnumbered players.

I beg the Devs to take this idea into consideration.

I think they feel like most new players have kneejerk reactions before they give the game a chance and don't want to give their game a bad reputation because so many players do not know what the definition of an alpha is...

i don't disagree with you we want the game to look in the best light for gaming community. But, i still think this game at the moment is being build around to small of a population. If we carter to small of a group we can have far bigger problems. When we have thousand of players.

I agree, we need more new players, a lot of them. I don´t agree that their voices will affect the development too much as all feedback is done via the forums and bug reporting, and player reputation affects the value of that feedback.

I would suggest making it into a PR campaign of sorts. Fill up the undersuscribed nations by making a poster campaign on the website for those nations, looking for fresh recruits. The players would have to email GameLabs with a reason why they should be allowed in to join. This would ensure only the most eager and mature players enter. 2-300 should be enough for the first batch.

I can´t play for more than an hour at a time these days, gets far too lonely, and while AI does provide an intense challenge every now and then, the lack of sailors on deck, BGM/sea shanties, player fleets and generally players willing to work together that aren´t in a clan (I always try to hail SLRN and they never check national chat, so I am excluded) results in a desperately lonely gaming session that I feel I have to tolerate after a certain period of time.

Edited by Callaghan

Think of this as internal testing :) I'm sure when GL needs more people in they'll open the floodgates. 

A large chunk of people on Steam just look at the review percentages so it's smart to get the EA launch right first time.

Think of this as internal testing :) I'm sure when GL needs more people in they'll open the floodgates. 

A large chunk of people on Steam just look at the review percentages so it's smart to get the EA launch right first time.

This, we dont want another dayz to happen, where the community end up hating a game because it is not ready and should never have been released, this game is far from ready for early access, to be frank it is brave of the devs to release the game to all the backers at this stage i would say, the game is not ready for early access, if we release this now the game is doomed, if we let the game get polished, it wont be doomed.

If GL wait too long there will be no active player base to add to. The reason numbers are dwindling is simple - boredom.

Lack of teamwork and PVP, combined with the removal of the boarding mechanic has been disastrous.

Not to sound too dramatic, I know things will pick up, BUT MY GOD IS IT BORING RIGHT NOW!

After my first battle each session, the idea of going to find another, without any other players to work with is less appealing than playing minesweeper.

i am not saying going to early release. that would be terrible for the game. Just say bring in more tester so we can give them more data. So we don't have to guess how this game is going to feel with more players.  

In fact, it's a devious scheme to get rid of all the trigger happy gung ho that want to jump into battle as soon as they leave port and intend to jump from battle to battle non stop. For traders and explorers, it's perfect.

If GL wait too long there will be no active player base to add to. The reason numbers are dwindling is simple - boredom.

Lack of teamwork and PVP, combined with the removal of the boarding mechanic has been disastrous.

Not to sound too dramatic, I know things will pick up, BUT MY GOD IS IT BORING RIGHT NOW!

After my first battle each session, the idea of going to find another, without any other players to work with is less appealing than playing minesweeper.

This is an over statement!!

I've been seeing consistant numbers of players during my playing time slot ever since OW started.

I've not encountered any problems finding people to play with/against... It's just a matter of location, location, location!!!

Most everyone online has been friendly and helpful during gameplay. And easy to contact. They constantly advertise the Teamspeak channel on the US chat...

I just don't get the dramatic tone here... Frankly, I think if you're bored with this game it's your fault...

They've set up PvP zones.

They've organized Trafalger battles.

Clans are everywhere.

Millions of miles of map to explore.

Trading is starting.

Shopping for upgrades/ships/resources...etc...

But there's nothing to do....

I think a 24 hour sale blitz would work well. Have 1000-5000 people buy the game, boost the average pop to closer to 250-500, and youd still only be bringing in a small % of the total interested buyers. Can even lock how many keys you want going out. Servers have been pretty stable, in my opinion i think they could handle an increase in traffic

7200 or so purchased sea trials but not all played a lot may be waiting for the final game and just wanted to support the developers. It would be boss to see 2000 or 5000 people sailing the seas but with the game still in development would that not be a hard group to get information from and also easily alienated and turned off from the game in this stage? As far as i understood if you were really into this game you could always email gamelabs expressing your interest and who knows what will come of that.

Supposedly 7,000 copies were sold.. Where are all those players?

I know a bunch of people that bought the game and tried the sea trials and OW. The don't play anymore because they are waiting for the finished product. They think that currently the game is primarily just a series of local sea battles. They are anticipating the release of a strategic multiplayer environment. They say simply fighting repeatedly, without broader integrated goals doesn't hold one's interest very long.

If they are representative of the general player it may be too early to allow a short term open sale. And the niche player who is very keen will find a way to purchase a key.

I think everyone wants more players in testing, cause its pretty boring atm, but the fact is that many players that want to "test" the game will simpily play, get bored and leave the game before it's even released, better to be paitent and wait for the beta stage when the devs will do most of the "balancing". Too large of a alpha/beta will kill the game.

I´m on the "don´t open the floodgates"-side. You´d have to sell 7000 copies once more, to get the small amount of "keen niche players" in, and as Macjimm stated correctly: There are other ways for them to get a key right now. The number of people missing topics in this forum (in general, not referred to this one) is also big enough imho - i still raise hackles thinking of DayZ-forums.

On a side note: If i´m not mistaking you Terra, you were still able to have a decent fight (incl. proper player-conduct, thanks for that) while most of the playerbase was at Trafalgar yesterday.

Can´t be too bad, i´d say ;)

Edit: grammar

Edited by Styles

Too thoose mentioning Dayz, this game has already proven to progress more than Dayz ever will, I have been enjoying this game since early Sea Trials, can't say I have enjoyed Dayz even after 3-4-5 years of alpha development -_- (was a hardcore fan of Dayz mod). Considering this team got under 10 employes it's f..... amazing what they have achieved compared to Dayz's 20-100 dedicated devs and a big ass company like Bohemia Inactive backing it all up. Arrrrgh :angry:. Dayz has never been anything more than a waste of hardrive space.... Sorry, I just had to vent it since someone brought up Dayz.... :ph34r:

In regards to new players trying out the game, I decided to give this a shot again. This time for real. A noob in a Lynx who has no idea what he's doing. So I opened up the help window and asked around. After they helped me get equipped, I was told to sail around and click on other ships to see their type and nationality. Eventually I came across a Spanish Surprise. I told them and they all told me to move away as I stood no chance against it. They told me to target trader ships, I think. Cutter, something and something. They said to stay away from trader Snow, IIRC. 

Those people helped me a lot, really. They allowed a guy who knows nothing get a small start on the game. It may have been little, but it really does make a difference for a new player. Other games I've played don't have such a helpful community. Maybe it's just because there aren't many people here, but the help window really did help. 

So in terms of a new player coming into the game, the community sure does let them get the hang of it. Now the thing is, it is very hard for a player to currently get access to the game. Not much advertising... nothing, really. A lot of people haven't heard about this game. But I now a lot of people really are looking for a naval combat sim, as there aren't many around. Maybe opening this game up to Steam or something for a little bit might help with adding new players, but as said above, this game should probably focus on making the game so that more players wouldn't get bored and leave. If 7000 players have bought the game, then the problem isn't that people aren't buying the game; it's that the game is currently not in their interest to play.

Now I am nowhere near experienced enough to actually give ideas on how to do so, as I am just starting to play, but I'm sure content will continue to arrive and this game will continue to improve and more players will come. 

New car smell can never be brought back.

Game purchases and increase in population won't happen until store opens on Steam. There is no difference in getting 1000 bug reports or 10 bug reports on the same subjects.

We can lock everyone to Antilles if you need more density (after a wipe).

New car smell can never be brought back.

Game purchases and increase in population won't happen until store opens on Steam. There is no difference in getting 1000 bug reports or 10 bug reports on the same subjects.

We can lock everyone to Antilles if you need more density (after a wipe).

But... But... But.... I LOVE exploring!!!!

What do the Devs mean they can lock everyone in Antilles? I don't understand what that area means but I do know that I love traveling.

To solve this complaint the Devs could try adding more Ai ships if the servers will hold them. I know now that the servers may overload if we open up the game.

We have got to accept that the Devs will add more people when they feel it's safe too.

I admit that my previous post on this topic was wrong.

The "issue" is not with AI, Comery.

Its about players and pvp. Locking to the Antilles (shrinking the size of the OW) will result in all the players beeing populated in a very small area. Thus there will be a crapton of PvP going on.

A lot more chances for even fights, too due to sheer numbers.