Game-Labs Forum

Newbie Tutorial – British Faction Edition

Newbie Tutorial – British Faction Edition

‘ello chaps!  So you have chosen to sail with the royal navy in service of king and country, good for you!  Here’s a tutorial for getting started in your new career choice as an Ensign in the Royal Navy.

Mandatory Basics:

-Your starting ship is called a lynx, its crewed by 40 men, you have a total of 8 – 4lb guns (4 on each side), your ship is very weak, however it is not as affected by the winds as the larger ships.  You will have the advantage of speed and be less impacted by the wind direction.  Take note that this ship rocks back and forth, making aiming difficult.  Your lynx costs 0 gold to repair and you get free replacements every time it sinks. The lynx can be brutally bad, load double shot and get nice and close to everything your trying to shoot lol.

-Ships you buy have 5 durability’s, can be sank 5 times before its gone.  Captured ships only have 1 durability, sink once and you lose everything on it (canons and upgrades, be careful when putting good stuff on captured ships)

-The purpose of the game at this point is to earn experience to level up your captain, allowing you a larger crew, and thus being able to use a larger vessel.  Furthermore you need to generate gold in order to repair/refit/upgrade/buy new ships and modules. This is done by attacking enemy AI ships (pve), enemy players  (pvp), or by taking advantage of the early trade build.

-Your starting port is the British capital in the Caribbean (English Harbour)

-There is no map in game (as of july 18th, 2015), however there is an excellent community map that you will certainly need (alt tab to view or load on a mobile device at your computer):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?usp=sharing&mid=znKaQtPyLToc.kaQduRE0l4HU

(use the port lookup function and click English Harbour and the map will point out the spot for you)

Short Term Goals:

-Learn the basics of shooting/sailing

-Replace your Lynx with a captured Cutter/Pickle/Privateer

-Team up with another British player for huge success chance increase

-Level up to Midshipman for the ability to effectively crew one of the above listed ships

Where do you go to hunt?

From English Harbour sail directly south, within 2-3 minutes of sailing you will come across a land mass, this is the island of Guadedupe, this is the ideal hunting grounds for a new British player.  You are looking for the following French boats as targets:  Lynx*, Trader Brig*, trader lynx*, trader anything but snow, lol*  Trader Snow, Cutter, Privateer, Pickle.  The ones marked with a * are the better targets, the other 4 you may lose to, however you will still earn xp/gold with no cost to yourself.  Trader brigs are unarmed, they are your best bet.  This is why you should ask for a team mate in the faction channel, 2 Lynx’s are better then 1, and then anything listed above becomes a viable target (as long as they are alone). 

starting%20map_zpsmcrena9w.png

Understanding Targets:

targets_zpsmpw8q90v.png

How do you Capture an upgrade?

This is best done in pairs, I HIGHLY recommend finding a partner for this.  The 2 of you are going to look for a lone Cutter/Privateer/Pickle.  Once you find him, you attack, and theres 2 ways you can do this. (Boarding mechanics as of July 18th, 2015)

Method 1 – The Legit Way.  Use ball shot to drop their hull to 50%, then switch to grape and reduce their crew to below yours (by a margin of about 5).  This takes time and is the less preferred method

Method 2 – The Easy Way.  Suicide capping.  One player boards the enemy ship as soon as possible (don’t even need to shoot them, just catch them), because this player is boarding with 40 crew vs their 55, they will lose, but the enemy ship will have low crew, while this is going on the second player pulls up beside the AI and boards right after his team mate loses.  The defeated player respawns and meets up with his team mate who now has a nice, new ship, and you use that ship to do method 1 and board an upgrade for player 1 who suicide boarded. 

**With these 2 newly acquired upgrades you should find many more targets that are within your reach, stick around this island until you make rank up to Midshipman.

Mid Term Goals:

-Advance to Lieutenant in rank

-Relocate to better hunting grounds

-Acquire gold to buy a Navybrig/Mercury OR bank and save for a Surprise for later in the game (viabile if you’ve captured a few backup ships to sail in)

-Avoid being reduced back to a Lynx

What’s next?

Time to mature to the big boy playground, you’ll want to set sail south towards the port of St. George for better hunting grounds.  Hug the islands, do not sail in open seas or youll get lost very quick.  Go from island to island, sticking to the east side of them (French capital port is on the west side of one of the islands, don’t go there, lol).  Once you arrive at St. George you want to buy an outpost, and establish a forward base of operations.  This will come in handy when you start boarding traders and capturing more privateers/pickles/cutters so that you have spares in case you sink.  You want to avoid at all costs being reduced back to a lynx.  Once you have your St George outpost purchased you can sail south (or SW, SE, depending on the wind).  Once you run into land you just follow it either way (west is ideal), and observe the insane amounts of AI fleets, lots of trader brigs ripe for the picking (especially if your with a friend to help out).  Keep an eye out for enemy players but at the moment this area has heavy English player traffic so it should be safe. 

secondarygrounds_zpsxzib8gsj.png

Buying your first ship:

Ideally once you hit LT, youll want to upgrade to a 120 crew ship, a brig/navybrig/mercury.  Personally I like the Mercury the most but the Navybrig is good as well, theres also the Snow if you want more canons at the cost of just about everything else :D.   You can skip this ship rank if a higher level player helps you capture a few of these. 

Once you have a ship that supports your 120 crew limit from the Lieutenant rank you are good to go, all the trader ships can now be captured without firing a shot, you can now engage and sink/capture other ships of your level, and your well on your way to Master and Commander and where the game really picks up J

Hope this tutorial helps, if its well-received ill add to it :D

Edited by Flavalicious
  • Like 13

I also named it the way i did, in the hopes other factions would perhaps throw up something similar, create a nice little multi-faction starting guide collection ;)

Yanke version should go as follows:

Find pickle, capture

Sail to English Harbour

Camp the British 

:P   haha.  poking fun aside, ive appreciated the yanke pvp expirence :D  :)

Edited by Flavalicious

Awesome stuff!

Could make one addition: It´s also viable to go to Jamaica when you´re set for leaving English Harbour.

It´s quite as easy to get to, if you stay near islands, may take a bit more time tho.

There are not that many AI-traders around (by the sounds of Flava´s guide) but also it has less player-traffic, if you prefer that.

Awesome stuff!

Could make one addition: It´s also viable to go to Jamaica when you´re set for leaving English Harbour.

It´s quite as easy to get to, if you stay near islands, may take a bit more time tho.

There are not that many AI-traders around (by the sounds of Flava´s guide) but also it has less player-traffic, if you prefer that.

Aye Jaimica is another mid rank farming zone but i left it off because currently there is a metric crap ton of usa/pirate/danisg in that activity in that area, not as safe as south :)

That being said i do highly recommend buying an outpost over there for teleport purposes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I take it English newbies are being plunked down in Kingston now.  So is Guadeloupe still the recommended beginners' hunting ground?

If you can be bothered sailing there from Port Royal. Probably easier to look around Haiti, though there are quite a few American and pirate players who operate around there.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this guide may be a bit outdated? I've visited the region south of port St.George, but didn't see many NPC ships. In fact, for about a 30 mins search I managed to find just one NPC.

NPC ships are much more populated between Charlestown and St.George, around French ports and neutral ports like Plymouth

• 1 month later...

This is great stuff.

are there any other update info.

What I got was

1/ find another player, and have fun together.

2/ attack trader ships.

3/ up grade to 6lbs Long Cannons (Snipping) or 12lbs Carronades (CQC)

4/ get upgrade "Marines" green tagged (common; 5,400 Gold) only if you want to capture ships.

5/ capture and use Cutter/Pickle/Privateer, I prefer the Pickle.

6/ when you get the Ensign buy 2 NPC Cutters.

7/ nation chat enemy ships.

8/ rank up to Lt.

9/ master and commander is where it's at.

Have I missed anything??

Edited by Aussie Pastor
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is this information still viable?

Outdated totally.

Here's my advice:

1. Stay near Port Royal and farm missions untill you get enough crew to use Snow.

2. When you get one, farm missions further untill you get Surprise.

3. When you get one you can do missions further or join captains who farm NPC fleets around. There you will get more exp and gold than just doing missions.

4. When you feel yourself ready for pvp, wait near Port Royal for Danish players fleet.

5. Don't join first one battle. It usually fails no matter how many your mates will be inside. Wait outside for reinforcement of 50+ St.Pavel, Victory etc. When some part of danes leave game for sleep and other part will try to sail back to their land gank em and kill 25 vs 5.

7. ...

8. Profit. Your now are true brit sea wolf

Thanks Dolleet. I am actually a French seadog. :)

I have upgraded to a very good Brig. It goes very fast, but I have yet to master firing accurately in a P vs E (AI?) battle. And I can't seem to do much once the water rises inside the ship.