Game-Labs Forum
Bolitho

Almost impossible to get close to AI

I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I'm finding it almost impossible to get close to AI ships in a square rigger.

They stay downwind of you and sail in small circles and seem to be able to sail directly into the wind.

Very frustrating.

Yeah we all call it the upwind dance, best thing I have found to do is sail away, at half speed, pulling easy S's they will eventually pull themselves in and you can have some good shots then, but if it is a bigger ship the will have a few shooting chances before you have one, so make sure it counts :P

they currently use perfect timing, sail position and yard position. thats why so good. if you copy their moves you will get better.

But we will add back mistakes and impurities that players can make. leaving only high rank bots with perfect skill.

• Like 6

copy their sail positions

attack properly from the OW

you will do a lot better. 

Attacking properly from the OW is artificially difficult now, because during the 20-second attack timer you will cross the attack circle multiple times. Basically you have to close with the target at top speed, hit Spacebar, then go to Battle sails to avoid overshooting, which is all very strange and awkward.

I haven't seen many players recently to verify, but it seems like this will make battles start at very close ranges now, making it difficult to run.

Yes adding a good spread of 'impurities' as you say based on AI rank should help a lot with that issue. So if you see an AI Commodore/RA, you can tell yourself he'll be very very good and might not be worth the fight.

The battle circle is fine even if awkward to have to drop sails but that is something worth living with. Otherwise we will have NPCs that we can never catch. It helps game play to slow down NPCs on the OS which is what causes that scenario Maturin. The real problem is that the NPC can turn on a dime and sail straight up wind at you making it very difficult to keep your windward position.

To the op, The key is attacking from upwind and staying there. The NPCs are programmed to do certain tactics and right now they are programmed to take wind. They almost always try to tack through the wind. That gives you a great advantage on them because it slows them down.

Finally the AI is a challenge :D , love the changes, keep up the good work B)

Edited by kaboki

they currently use perfect timing, sail position and yard position. thats why so good. if you copy their moves you will get better.

But we will add back mistakes and impurities that players can make. leaving only high rank bots with perfect skill.

It would be nice if the wind positions weren't getting flipped.  Half the time I position myself upwind in the OW, then we spawn into battle with me being downwind from them instead. 

Trick is to cut your sails when you enter the circle and let them close with you so you keep the wind at your back

I have noticed this most definitely helps me.

Finally the AI is a challenge :D , love the changes, keep up the good work B)

I know, they actually attack now i guess xD

It would be nice if the wind positions weren't getting flipped.  Half the time I position myself upwind in the OW, then we spawn into battle with me being downwind from them instead. 

Yep, but again this is a realism kind of think. OW wind then battle wind could be different. Of course it could be set the same as well but having it almost a random wind direction keeps it almost a fair fight whoever it may be. I don't know though, wind direction to me isn't a huge issue.

What I found most useful against AI is jousting.

You sail on a broad reach, they are following you, load double, tack, sail between them so that you have exactly one ship windward of you, fire both your boradsides, then continute on the other broad reach. Rinse and repeat. Pop repairs when damaged too heavily or have lost too many guns.

These AI sail like demons, They sail perfectly as they are commanded to by Admin, makes it very tricky to line up a broadside when they turn side to side and can get 2 off while we double check our ranges, needs a slight tone down IMO as a Trin can out turn a Frigate it seems even know the Trin turning is hideous, though all the buttons don't seem to do what they are told some times (Slight human error)