Game-Labs Forum
Barberouge

Difficult port entrances

Baja off the northern coast of Cuba is also an pain to get into as well. Deep water port and I had some difficulty getting into it in my Cerb. I will admit me and some buddies laughed about it as we struggled to get past all the shallows. Entertaining at least.

Port Morant is the port I absolutely hate landing at. It seems to be completely covered in shallows and it's just impossible to tell where those are.

Howdy,

I had started a thread (unaware of this one) .. a few weeks ago, about the shallows after the last major patch.

1) Were there any changes to the ports in the patch?

2) as it seems, the Piers have gotten MUCH shorter. Was this intended?

3) the Shallows are more prevalent than before the patch. Was this intended?

4) I notice if I try to get into Plymouth .. at first I am blocked by shallows. Then after sitting still for about 15 seconds, the tag will show up to enter the port. Is there a timer setting on the "enter port" tags?

5) I do alot out of Plymouth  - so I tried the following (multiple times) ... AI LGV comes up to Plymouth - I watched and followed his route. I even stopped where he stopped. He raised sails, spun around, drop them down, and took off again. I presume it was because he "entered" port, dropped his wares, picked up new ones, and then set sail. Meanwhile, I am sitting EXACTLY where he was, and I get no port enter tag. In fact, I have to get almost 2 boat lengths closer (through/around shallows) to get it to come up. WHY? 

6) Is this the same for all the ports? The AI's can enter at a farther range out from the pier, than the players? -- I am trying everything to get into port more efficiently (angle, different wind directions, different ships, different paths...etc...) ... its just aggravating.

Which is one reason why I am asking if it is just a timer thing. (Q #4)

Thanks,

-Yank

1) No changes have been made in the last patch. All the ports in this topic will be checked and their surroundings modified if necessary.

2) The length of the piers is random. Some ports have long piers, some others short piers. But the access distance stays the same.

3) They shouldn't.

4) Do you have a video of this ?

5) Bots have a specific logic.

6) If you found the way to get into a port, it should be reproducible. Some ports with shallows such as Castries are very very difficult to enter, most are manageable once you know the local waters. But all the ports that are too difficult will be modified.

It is really hard to dock at Oranjestad in a deep draft ship, there are no visual clues except for the shallows warning which comes up pretty late.

Please take a look at it or make it a shallow water harbor.

Baja off the northern coast of Cuba is also an pain to get into as well. Deep water port and I had some difficulty getting into it in my Cerb. I will admit me and some buddies laughed about it as we struggled to get past all the shallows. Entertaining at least.

Baja is a true pain in the butt to get into. It's quite ridiculously difficult with a Le Gros Ventre and presumably other deep water ships. Should really have a better channel, it's just silly the way it is now, IMHO.

I don't mind morant my pet hate is and always will be port royal, it's not difficult to get into but it's 15 minutes to get a line ship in if you are unfortunate not to have the wind

1) No changes have been made in the last patch. All the ports in this topic will be checked and their surroundings modified if necessary.

2) The length of the piers is random. Some ports have long piers, some others short piers. But the access distance stays the same.

3) They shouldn't.

4) Do you have a video of this ?

5) Bots have a specific logic.

6) If you found the way to get into a port, it should be reproducible. Some ports with shallows such as Castries are very very difficult to enter, most are manageable once you know the local waters. But all the ports that are too difficult will be modified.

Bar --- Thanks for your response.

2) seems they have changed a bit though -- noticeably

3) seems they are though (more prevalent). But ok.

4) Video? bwahahahah! Sorry for the outburst! lol ... I am a gamer -- an old one at that. Not very tech-savvy inclined. I am lucky to get screenshots! When I figure out how you folks do that (Video), all things will change! muhahaha! (*I mean that "ONLY"  in regards to how I can present an issue) B)

6) You would think. (reproducibility). I have to squirrel around to find that "nitch" path all too often.

Thanks again!

Port Morant is the port I absolutely hate landing at. It seems to be completely covered in shallows and it's just impossible to tell where those are.

Odd. I have no trouble getting in and out of Port Morant and in and out of K/PR.

I like the idea of difficult port entry (do you remember "ports of call"?). Thats ok. But a more detailed map (directions, schematic drawings,...) or indicator (eg. 7x7 instead of 3x3 blocks) after the first visit would really help.

I really had some trouble in Oranjestad - it often was a drifting along the hitbox. I still do not know if its better to come from east or west.

Lorimers has a terrible entrance to the NE.

The channel to the NW is somewhat navigable, though still requires you to know the waters (I think this is fine. Leads to some fun times when trying to avoid screens during a Port Battle)

However, the NE approach is a complete crap shoot. You can't move at all when you spawn unless you know where to turn, and following the same path back in does not work.

As Marigot has become an regional capital, i invite the NA staff to try to access that port in a first rate.

I bet a ton of Snappers that you will try for a longer time just to find the "sweet spot" to enter the port.

Added a line to the advices:

• The direction of the docks is often a good indication of the entrance path

Also checked the new list.

Maybe you could check fort zoutman, I have a really hard time when im aproaching  it from the east.

Fort Zoutman should be entered from the west or south-west.

I don't know if it is still being checked, but the port down at Amalienborg is a tight fit even for small ships like the cutter.

The canal is quite large, sail in the middle and you make it to the docks.

I found Brewers to be fairly annoying to get into.

For the Brewers Lagoon you have to take the middle entrance, and stay close to the western island.

Two Ports I find particular difficult entering in a Trincomalee are Puerto de Espana (Hard but works)

Puerto de Espana is accessible from the south or south-west.

near impossible to get in and Morant.

Port Morant has to be entered from the direction of the docks.

Montanzas off the coast of northern Cuba is an insufferable Deep Water port entrance.

After staying in the middle of the canal, a light turn to the right can be helpful to reach the docks. The shallow informations are also good indications.

/discuss

Those port entrances will be fixed in one of the coming patches:

Baja (an pain to get into)

Castries (a real pain to approach the wharf)

Leogane (near impossible to get in)

Lorimers (a terrible entrance to the NE)

Marigot (super difficult)

Naparima (almost impossible to enter with any big(er) ship)

Oranjestad (really hard to access with a Frigate)

Plymouth (too difficult)

Rio de la Hacha (pretty hard to get close to)

To be honest I find the port entrances a complete waste of time. I can not see how they add anything to the game?

It just seems to be a trial of bump and go.

What's the point?