Game-Labs Forum
Barberouge

Difficult port entrances

Barberouge    721

Fort- Dauphin is very hard to enter and even harder to get out.

The water colors are a bit misleading, but the depths are on the western side of the channel in Fort-Dauphin.

Cayo Romano can be a difficult one to enter from Matthew town or anywhere southeast of it; the shallows are hard to see and the port looks like it's right in front of you until you see a very small (sort of hook shaped) piece of land extending out sheltering the port all but from you entering by going further north-east and then east.

It's also interesting to note that it seems to be near a spawn-point for large NPC fleets or ships of all nations who tend to hang around the cove and attack you while you attempt to dock.

There's no entrance in the south. Coming from the east, you have to sail a bit away from the northern point (cape), then sail in the middle of the bay. This is a view from north:

screen10.png

Please disagree or comment ofc.

Barberouge    721

Pasaje. its a deep water port but its surrounder bu a shallows maze XD

There are shallows around, but if you sail in the middle of the channel you should make it to the docks easily.

Barberouge    721

Those entrances will be fixed after the wipe:

• Arthur's Town
  • Bahía Honda
  • Carúpano
  • George Town
  • North Inlet

Some other entrances may also be easier.

Please report any entrance that you feel is too difficult after the wipe.

Amendus    24

There are shallows around, but if you sail in the middle of the channel you should make it to the docks easily.

not by a bellona :( i tought of sailing trough but i got stuck for 3 mins

Ronan    38

Port Louis is a bit difficult to enter. On the left side coming in there is some random shallow in deep water. It's annoying having to move all the way to the right when that area isn't even shallow, especially facing upwind.

Barberouge    721

not by a bellona :( i tought of sailing trough but i got stuck for 3 mins

When you are there, you can sail straight into the docks without any shallows:

screen10.png

Port Louis is a bit difficult to enter. On the left side coming in there is some random shallow in deep water. It's annoying having to move all the way to the right when that area isn't even shallow, especially facing upwind.

I managed to sail along the left side as close as about 3 Santi lengths to the coast. In general, it's better to not sail too close to the coasts. If the wind isn't good enough, it's better to anticipate and tack.

Hugh Latham    318

I have started a thread titled "Exploration game play" where I refloated the idea of instanced port entry (I think someone proposed it somewhere else). Check it out and add yer 2 doubloons worth.

Ronan    38

I don't even sail close to the coast. Going directly at it there is some annoying shallow part which I think shouldn't be there.

Barberouge    721

I don't even sail close to the coast. Going directly at it there is some annoying shallow part which I think shouldn't be there.

Strange then, because Port-Louis is one of those coasts where the shallows are very close to the coast.

Port-Louis entrance should be a little bit easier after the wipe. If you still feel it's annoying, please provide a screenshot.

Hugh Latham    318

Dredge them out or go around them ;)

If you want to experience "annoying" shoals try to sail a frigate in the Bahamas.

Ronan    38

Strange then, because Port-Louis is one of those coasts where the shallows are very close to the coast.

Port-Louis entrance should be a little bit easier after the wipe. If you still feel it's annoying, please provide a screenshot.

I F11'd it a few weeks ago. It just needs a bit more improvement like you said and it should be fine.

hoarmurath    206

Castries... It's a real pain to approach the wharf, so i had a look to see how the shallows were under sea level...

Well, in fact, there's no shallows represented in front of the wharf, but the ship are still blocked... And it's a deep water port.

9207972015090400001.jpg

Honestly ALL the port entrances can be really frustrating if the wind is in the wrong direction. Sailing for a real-world hour to reach somewhere then just sitting off shore waiting for the wind to shift can be very frustrating.

I think the game needs a "Tow Into Port" option you can click if the town is close enough for its name to show up, and the game just gradually draaaaaags you slowly towards the port, like the "pulling" function in combat before boarding. And if you're attacked it's disrupted but if you aren't just get closer and closer then automatically dock.

I suspect this would be more historically accurate anyway.

Edited by Hieronymous Alloy

Goodblue    74

It seems like Oranjestad is really hard to access with a Frigate. I don't know if this was changed but it is a Deep water port so it shouldn't be so hard to enter with a Frigate.

Hazard    11

I personally find getting into port one of the most irritating parts of the game. The little graphic lies to you sometimes. Deep water ports were built for ease of access.

I do realize the added game play of shallows, but until they get the time to tune water shading and the shallows graphic, I say they ease up on the ports.

I found Brewers to be fairly annoying to get into.

I found it too, and it aint helping that leaveing the town places you middle of shallows so you get stuck there for a while.

Quarios    31

Two Ports I find particular difficult entering in a Trincomalee are Puerto de Espana (Hard but works) and Naparima. I gave up on the last one wasn't possible for me.