Game-Labs Forum
Barberouge

Difficult port entrances

Barberouge    721

The testers reported that some ports have difficult entrances due to shallows. Although it would be an interesting feature (knowledge of the local waters), it turns out that some are really too difficult.

Please report every port (shallow or deep) that you think has a too difficult entrance. The ports that can't be accessed from everywhere but still have a good clear entrance from acceptable courses are fine. It can also be a too difficult canal or bay navigation rather than a close dock entrance.

Advices to enter ports:

• Most of the time, don't sail along the coast (taking the shortest route) to enter a port, but sail a bit away then aim straight for the dock end
  • The direction of the docks is often a good indication of the entrance path
  • The water color doesn't always reflect the depths, but sometimes the proximity of the coast
  • On low graphics it's dificult to see any insight about the shallows by looking at the water color

Ships up to the Snow are meant to be able to enter shallow ports, and ships from the Mercury access the deep ports.

• Ports to check:

• Ports to fix:

Barranquilla

Carriacou

• Ports fixed:

Arthur's Town (too difficult)

Bahía Honda (too difficult)

Baja (an pain to get into)

Carupano (interesting to learn)

Casigua (really hard to enter)

Castries (a real pain to approach the wharf)

George Town (terrific approach)

Leogane (near impossible to get in)

Lorimers (a terrible entrance to the NE)

Marigot (super difficult)

Naparima (almost impossible to enter with any big(er) ship)

North Inlet (previous location - hard with a Lynx but good feature)

Oranjestad (really hard to access with a Frigate)

Plymouth (too difficult)

Rio de la Hacha (pretty hard to get close to)

Sinamaica (only able to get into from a tiny angle)

• Doesn't seem to be necessary:

Amalienborg (a tight fit even for small ships like the cutter)

Bahía Escocesa (?) (too difficult)

Beaufort (terrible)

Brewers (fairly annoying to get into)

Caño Macareo (frustrating)

Cayo Romano (strange)

Conil (cool because difficult)

Coral Bay (really hard channel navigation without good wind)

Fort-Dauphin (very hard especially to get out)

Fort Zoutman (have a really hard time when im aproaching  it from the east)

La Isabela (difficult but good feature)

Las Tortugas (quite unsafe port to enter for a non-shallow ship which sails to/from Cuba)

Matanzas (an insufferable Deep Water port entrance)

Monte Cristi (difficult but good feature)

Pasaje (surrounded by shallows)

Port-Louis (a bit difficult)

Port Morant (the port I absolutely hate landing at)

Puerto de Espana (Hard but works)

Road Town (shallows in front of a deep harbor)

Saint-Nicolas (too difficult)

Somerset (the new evil)

Tortuga (?) (too difficult)

Wilmington (terrible)

Updated 19th april

I'll start making a list as I come across them, but like Wind said it's usually that it's hard to figure out where the shallows are.

The flipside to that is there are some that are really cool because they're difficult, like Conil (I think). Depending on wind direction, it can be quite a challenge.

yamms    18

At first I thought Carupano but I've sailed into it dozens of times now and I've learned how to navigate it. It would be cool to tie the ability to get into port easily to the sailing master 

Booyaah    657

Do we really need to make a list for this?  Isn't it just 100x easier for the devs to increase the docking radius on all ports by 25% and call it a day?  I'm assuming this isn't really a super high priority that they want to spend a lot of time on manually adjusting the dock size for 100 ports... 

maturin    5,454

Barberouge, I recommend sharing an editable Google Doc rather than trying to glean all the possible responses from this thread.

Prater    5,325

Northern Inlet is hard to get into with a Lynx.  But like Henry, I think this is a feature, not a problem.

Prater    5,325

Imo this should be fixed LONG time ago...so annoying we got patch after patch but this issue still here...

There's well over 300 ports.  We haven't even been to them all yet.

Barberouge    721

Do we really need to make a list for this?  Isn't it just 100x easier for the devs to increase the docking radius on all ports by 25% and call it a day?  I'm assuming this isn't really a super high priority that they want to spend a lot of time on manually adjusting the dock size for 100 ports... 

Increasing the radius would make some ports enterable by another side, would remove the impression of sailing to the dock, and would cause other issues. It's not the dock size that would be adjusted but the port location, or the port depth that would be changed, which doesn't take much time, or the map that would be fixed, which takes more time. Some ports like St Ann for example were real labyrinths to get into.

Barberouge, I recommend sharing an editable Google Doc rather than trying to glean all the possible responses from this thread.

Or I can put the list here if needed ?

Northern Inlet is hard to get into with a Lynx.  But like Henry, I think this is a feature, not a problem.

This one is a good example of the accesses at the limit between water knowledge and too difficult. It's been put to the coast because it's been reported by other testers.

As much as i think its a cool "feature" its a real piss off after sailing against the wind for 15 mins leading up to docking. Lol

To counter what I said earlier in that I enjoy some of the tough ones, the argument could be made that it's not how ships actually docked, not the big ones anyway. Really for anything without a shallow draft, they'd anchor a little ways out and then crews would take the boats and row/sail in.

Bart Smith    1,619

Right but why "deep harbour ports" have shallows around anyway? And there is lot of them around current map...For me personally enetring port is issue which demand attention from developers.

Chunx    6

What I don't understand is what purpose do shallows serve at the moment? They aren't implemented in battles yet and ships with a small draft aren't able to pass them. I think it would be much easier to make a temp fix around ports for now and work it out then bring it back in.

I definitely want shallows around ports in the game though. They can change the tide of battle and make the difference between a brig outrunning a frigate.

Prater    5,325

What I don't understand is what purpose do shallows serve at the moment? They aren't implemented in battles yet and ships with a small draft aren't able to pass them. I think it would be much easier to make a temp fix around ports for now and work it out then bring it back in.

I definitely want shallows around ports in the game though. They can change the tide of battle and make the difference between a brig outrunning a frigate.

There are different levels of shallows, and they stop you going into land.

Rramsha    87

The issue I find is that usually its just the last few meters where you get stuck and can't enter the harbor, if you could only move the last 1-5 meters you would be inside easily.

B24LIBERATOR    64

When a brig gets stuck in what appears to be at least 30-40' deep water due to "shallows" then I think there's a problem.

Hopefully the devs are working on it though.

Right now ship hit boxes don't seem to correspond with shallows (e.g. you're grounded but a peek under water shows your hull is 20 or 30 feet above the bottom), and I find that confusing, especially when I'm stopped and trying to "see" the channel I need to take. And maybe that's by design, which is ok, but I noticed that too B24.