Game-Labs Forum

Game Severely CPU limited?

OlavDeng2

So this is a quick question, i am running an fx 8320 cpu and a r9 270 gpu and i notice first of all that when clocked at 3.5GHz i only get 30 fps in battle while when clocked at 4.5GHz i get about 60 at medium-low settings and at 3.5GHz the gpu is only running at 50% utilization, so i am wondering if anybody has noticed similar things with higher end gpus/different cpus or if it is only something on my end? as 50% utilization seems extreamly low even with a fx 8320.

So this is a quick question, i am running an fx 8320 cpu and a r9 270 gpu and i notice first of all that when clocked at 3.5GHz i only get 30 fps in battle while when clocked at 4.5GHz i get about 60 at medium-low settings and at 3.5GHz the gpu is only running at 50% utilization, so i am wondering if anybody has noticed similar things with higher end gpus/different cpus or if it is only something on my end? as 50% utilization seems extreamly low even with a fx 8320.

Game does't have FXAA to compensate and save fps, any 2x 4x antialasing option kills fps  on any high end system big time. To me it feels like they did not do optimization yet. Graphic options are still very poor. Even 2006 potbs had more options. We shall wait and see. 

what wind says.

The game is not optimized yet. Devs stated that in advance some time ago.

So grafics are hitting hard.

I checked my CPU while playing the OW. My results: about 40-50% core usage on all of my 4 i5 3570k cores. running as stock 3.8GHz speed.

My GPU however is gettin greally hot and during these days I am running the game on low water visuals just to save some heat output.. Its frekking hot here in germany atm.

This is very strange because i have mine set to Ultra except AA off and water on high, in OW i get 20 fps low but playable and battle i have it capped at 30 which it is at.

My laptop is 3 years old with

Processor    Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Graphics chip    GeForce GTX 660M

8 gig ram

1920 x 1080

It is about the only game i can run on Ultra settings, i was actually surprised that i could run it at that high a setting.

Not getting hotter than normal.

Edited by MikedaBike

I am running the same spec as Midshipman but with a 650M card and can only achieve 4fps, has anyone got any suggestions?

Processor    Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Graphics chip    GeForce GTX 660M

8 gig ram

1920 x 1080

wel..

The 650M is not a powerful card by any means.

And the Open World is not optimized at all. It is hungry for your Computer's hardware and even "highest-end" gaming rigs struggle whith performance when they put all at highest. (to give you a perspective)

Also I ask the same question again:

Is thermal throtteling a thing?

If your Laptop gets too hot your components will run slower to prevent itself from overheating.

wel..

The 650M is not a powerful card by any means.

And the Open World is not optimized at all. It is hungry for your Computer's hardware and even "highest-end" gaming rigs struggle whith performance when they put all at highest. (to give you a perspective)

Also I ask the same question again:

Is thermal throtteling a thing?

If your Laptop gets too hot your components will run slower to prevent itself from overheating.

I think you missed my point, i am and can run at ultra, i am not complaining and do not have any issue, i am pointing out my surprise at being able to run the game at my specs at such a high level with a healthy fps in battle and an acceptable one out in OW  I am very pleased that this game runs at that level on a 3 year old laptop i would have expected to have had to lower settings, but not Good job i say and any further optimizing will be a bonus.

EDIT ^^

Ahh sorry i thought that was a reply to me.

I am running the same spec as Midshipman but with a 650M card and can only achieve 4fps, has anyone got any suggestions?

Adam turn the AA off and set water level to high or medium that is all i have done, everything else is on ultra and running fine. If that does not help try high and no AA then water lower.

Edited by MikedaBike

water and AA is the performace killer in the OW. (AA also in instances)

I turned down those effects last days to keep my PC cooler.

damm heat where I live

Just finished Summer season here, 42-45 degrees C Poor ole lap tap has a tongue hanging out the front!   Ha sorry took a few mins to make the pic in photoshop Oh poop forgot to add shadow under tongue, never mind you get the idea.

Hot%20top_zps8odhulqf.jpg

Edited by MikedaBike
  • Like 1

I'll try all those suggestions and get back to you all. You are great, this is my first time in on line gaming but I love this time period. I just hope I can get the speed up or I will have to face the prospect of persuading my wife a new tower is a must!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it looks as though I will have to build a new PC, so can anyone give me a good spec which will run Naval Action. Does the software use cpu multithreading and/or gpu and is the new GTX 960 a good enough card?

All help greatly appreciated. At the moment we have had 36c for three weeks so everyone and everything is roasting so heat might be a factor!!

N°1 question:

how much money are you willing to spend.

The game does multithread pretty well and a friend of mine runs it perfectly fine with very high settings on a gtx 960

Well, as little as possible for as much as possible!! Not very helpful I know. 

I am going from laptop to a Cooler Master HAF XB Evo case as it fits under my desk so in total around €1500 including good screen etc. Does that help?

Its really not the problem with your CPU or graphic cards, 90% of the problem folks are occuring including me is that the game graphic is not optimized yet not even by long shoot . When they do that properly everyone will have much smother game play with no major issues. 

They stated what is the minimal req for playing the game so even folks with minimal spec should be able to play the game without having big problems and glitches ofc on low settings for those on minimal req that is how it is on every other game so i dont see the reason why it should not be the case  in this game.

My suggestion to all that have that kind of problem including myself is to if you want to keep testing\playing the game in this period now is that you arm your self with nerves of steel and try to swallow those major game breaking glitches\issues its nothing wrong with the game it is the natural way of game developing.

On the other hand if you cant do that then simple take a brake for month or more and come back later on to see how the progress is going.

There are many games out there that can keep you busy for a while until we all w8 for Devs to fix\improve\iron-press all the bugs gltiches and so on in the game client.

Captain Axralis RAE