Game-Labs Forum

"Rolling back broadside" --> ranging shot from back

Dear devs,

When  on "rolling back broadside" mode we would love to have our ranging shots also come from the back!

2 reasons for that:

1. It is needed for aiming. If you want to use ranging back broadside the enemy is allways in a position where you cannot possibly aim with your front cannons. (it becomes a real dicy estimation)

2. We are messing up our rolling broadsides all the time because in the heat of the moment it is really hard to tell what mode you are on. 

(On a sidenote, i would also love to be able to totally disable (or remoove) "random broadside" mode. It has almost no use in skilled combat and it makes it so you have to click 1x to switch to back fire mode and then 2x to switch back to front fire mode, which also leads to more wrong mode broadsides, which usually cost you the fight.)

Edit: Please include this in wednesdays patch.

Edited by Puchu
  • Like 7

Actually I'd like a seperate option enabling me to choose from where my ranging shots start irrespective of what fire mode I'm in. This is esp. useful if your ship only features two guns on the front castle which atm means you only get two ranging shots until the remaining shots start from much further back on the ship and messing up your aim.

PS: Remember that if you've got problems with constantly hitting the "V" button (which is the default for changing fire more) by mistake during combat, simply use another key for that action. (I use a button on the side of my mouse)

• Like 1

+1 on rolling broadside from the rear request. Ranging shots used from the rear of the vessel.

Random shot is useful particularly when firing at masts and rigging when the target is beam on to you.

We are missing a very obvious firing option. Full Broadside. This should be slightly less accurate, intended for medium to close range, do slightly more damage, and have the potential to spring a leak on the firing ship ! (But very small % chance)

o7

Full broadside? We are already firing full broadsides ^^

If you mean all guns firing at the exact same time then I have to disagree though, seeing as that was practically impossible to achieve in reality.

Stuff and nonsense sir ! the first  broadside in an engagement were considered the best loaded and most lethal, all gunners were awaiting the word from their offices to fire as they were all of them ready and waiting for the command. After this first broadside then of course firing became more ragged and uneven as different crews were able to reload at different speeds due to skill levels and possible casualties, tiredness etc

Read your historical references or even compare gaming systems tabletop or otherwise, all comment on the lethality of the initial broadside.

Stuff and nonsense sir ! the first  broadside in an engagement were considered the best loaded and most lethal, all gunners were awaiting the word from their offices to fire as they were all of them ready and waiting for the command. After this first broadside then of course firing became more ragged and uneven as different crews were able to reload at different speeds due to skill levels and possible casualties, tiredness etc

Read your historical references or even compare gaming systems tabletop or otherwise, all comment on the lethality of the initial broadside.

Sorry but I know my history here. The very firing systems in use back then (first linestock, later gun locks), plus the natural delay in reactions between officers and crew, made firing off all guns simultaneously without any delay completely impossible = Just the same as it was impossible for a regiment of line infantry to fire off all their muskets at exactly the same time during volley fire, there was always a noticable delay between the first and last gun to be fired for the same reasons stated above, and on a ship firing much bigger guns it would be even worse.

Furthermore on most 18th century warships each gun captain was instructed to only fire his gun once it lined up with the enemy ship AFTER permission to fire was given, which meant timing the ignition of the priming powder with the roll of the ship. All of this led to broadside fire being about as ragged in nature as we see ingame.

Broadside fire became less effective as the battle raged on due to fouling of the gun barrel, tiring of the crew (not to mention casualties) and finally due to smoke filling the air making visual identification more difficult.

There's no correlation between a broadside's lethality and how simultaneous it is, so you both can be right.

There certainly isn't, and that was never my intention to either prove & disprove either :) What I'm trying to get across here is that a full broadside was fired in about as ragged a manner as the random broadside mode we have ingame atm, partly because of human reaction time and the firing mechanisms in use, but first and foremost as each gun captain would hold his fire until the target lined up with his gun to ensure the highest chances of a hit - and every gun didn't feature the same relative elevation despite using the same size elevation Quion, due mainly to differences in location on the ship, so mostly all guns wouldn't line up with the target at the same time.

Even with modern guns and their instant firing mechanisms firing off a mass of them simultanouesly is downright impossible without a centralized fire control system, and if we put them on a 18th century warship where every gun has to be aimed independently and timed with the roll of a ship to ensure a hit, then it can't be done anyway - at least not if you want to hit your target ^^