Game-Labs Forum

Woudn't it be useful providing some lighthouses for night navigation ?

If each lighthouse had a particular lights pattern (as real ones), navigation would be quite improved. It would even be possible taking bearings and setting ship's location.

• Like 7

I remember listing to the BBC shipping forecast and the list of all the shipping areas lighthouses and vessels listed.

Sailed past quite a few of them in my past. Bring on the lighthouses :)

Edited by MikedaBike
  • Like 1

There were few, if any, lighthouses in the Caribbean at this time. Barbados got its first in the 1850's.

A subtle glow from oil lamps near the harbor would be more appropriate.

Moon brightness variations between full and new would be cool.

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Just gonna bump this 3-year old thread up for  @IceBurg, he suggested the introduction of lighthouses but it was closed as a dublicate for obvious reasons. :)

I really like the idea though, it should be reconsidered - It would help navigating a lot at night and i bad weather.

Edited by Percival Merewether

1 hour ago, BPHick said:

Um, not realistic for the time period,

That's just downright wrong, though I think the oldest surving stone lighthouse is from the 1830s (?) I need to look that up. It was common to have lights around the large centers in the Carribbean, mostly wooden towers - just as it was very common in Europe and north america at the time. I will do my best to find some sources for you tomorrow.

Edited by Percival Merewether

On 2/22/2018 at 3:22 PM, Percival Merewether said:

That's just downright wrong, though I think the oldest surving stone lighthouse is from the 1830s (?) I need to look that up. It was common to have lights around the large centers in the Carribbean, mostly wooden towers - just as it was very common in Europe and north america at the time. I will do my best to find some sources for you tomorrow.

They didn't start appearing until the Napoleonic era (the end of the time period the game covers) and weren't "common" until the latter half of the 19th century.

6 hours ago, BPHick said:

They didn't start appearing until the Napoleonic era (the end of the time period the game covers) and weren't "common" until the latter half of the 19th century.

I forgot about this post, sorry.!

It seems that we do not disagree on when lighthouses started to appear (In the caribbean) - but rather in which time period the game is played. I always imagined it to be post 1810 since we have ships that were lanuched in 1817 and later in-game. I also never considered it earlier than 1801 because of the version of the union jack we’re using.

You could of course also argue that the game is set 100 years before, in which case I’d agree with you - no lighthouses in the carribbean (unless somebody knows of this?).

Since we have so much historical and ahistorical content spread out over such a large period of time I find it difficult to argue what  is and what isn’t relevant. 

13 hours ago, Percival Merewether said:

I forgot about this post, sorry.!

It seems that we do not disagree on when lighthouses started to appear (In the caribbean) - but rather in which time period the game is played. I always imagined it to be post 1810 since we have ships that were lanuched in 1817 and later in-game. I also never considered it earlier than 1801 because of the version of the union jack we’re using.

You could of course also argue that the game is set 100 years before, in which case I’d agree with you - no lighthouses in the carribbean (unless somebody knows of this?).

Since we have so much historical and ahistorical content spread out over such a large period of time I find it difficult to argue what  is and what isn’t relevant. 

Since there is nothing in the game to set time period other than the ships, and there is no progression of time, all I can say with certainty is that the game spans the early 18th century to the early 19th. So for other historical features, I just take and average and say "what was around in the 2nd half of the 1700's?".