Game-Labs Forum

'Vita Örn' , 'Hvide Ørn' - Swedish/Danish/Norwegian 30 gun frigate (With Plans)

Vita Örn/Hvide Ørn (White Eagle)

PKnxTZB.jpg

First of all, I posted a bit about this very frigate a while ago in a thread asking for frigates. Figured I'd like to dedicate an entire thread to it now.

Vita Örn was a frigate ahead of her time with features to be the norm in frigates from about 1740 and onwards for the next hundred years. She was built by the british shipsbuilder William Smith by commision of the Swedish state at Karlskrona, Sweden in 1711. She was armed with 30 12 pounder cannons and had a crew of 170.

She was already amongst the most legendary ships in the Swedish navy (being the fastest frigate in Scandinavia and having taken several prizes and defeated 2 Danish-Norwegian frigates while commanded by Swedish Captain Printz) at the battle of Colberger Heide between Sweden and Denmark-Norway in 1715 where she was captured as a prize by the rising star of the Danish-Norwegian army, Peter Jansen Wessel, later to be enobled and given the name Tordenskiold (Thunder Shield). While in tow, she was renamed to Hvide Ørn and Wessel was rewarded with the command of her. Shortly thereafter, Hvide Ørn was involved in the battle of Rügen. After the engagement had ended with the coming of the dark, Wessel managed to sneak up on the stern of two damaged Swedish SOL's Gotland(56) and Ösel(56). There, he stern rakes the Ösel, cuts the company flag hanging from the stern off before leaving with a full broadside along the ship. The Captain of the ship, Siøstierna, flees the ship and takes shelter in the Gotland. He is later condemmed to death by a swedish court martial but pardoned. By the time the Ösel has made her way back to Karlskrona she's on the absolute verge of sinking.

Hvide Ørn participated in lots of key naval engagements between Denmark-Norway and Sweden the years after and she along with her commander became famous at the top of his game, as a frigate commander. I hope to be able to sail the seas in Naval Action in this fine vessel someday. :)

Technical data:

Displacement: 600 tons

Length: 33 meters

Width: 9,42 meters

Guns: 30 12 pounders

Crew: 170 men

vGc0qK2.jpg

hCt2J22.png

UnmdhAF.jpg

hDBZEgC.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 08/07/2015 at 5:45 PM, Malachi said:

Ah, one of my favourite ships!

A pity the plan is such a bitch to work with, already tried to model her a few times, but the plan (I have a high res version) is too inaccurate to get a decent model out of it.

Would you send me a copy of the high res plan, I would like to have a try of modelling her?

One thing I really like about this ship is that she has a history with both Denmark-Norway and Sweden. Sweden has one ship in the game atm and Denmark-Norway - the worlds 4th largest naval power at the time - has none. It would be nice to see at least one danish ship, but barring that, a ship that has a history with both nations..

EDIT: btw I think the complement of crew is a bit too low, the 170 crew prob stems from the danish-norwegian practice of only counting seamen and cannoniers as the marines were principally still part of the army and under a separate command from the captains.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Bearwall said:

One thing I really like about this ship is that she has a history with both Denmark-Norway and Sweden. Sweden has one ship in the game atm and Denmark-Norway - the worlds 4th largest naval power at the time - has none. It would be nice to see at least one danish ship, but barring that, a ship that has a history with both nations..

EDIT: btw I think the complement of crew is a bit too low, the 170 crew prob stems from the danish-norwegian practice of only counting seamen and cannoniers as the marines were principally still part of the army and under a separate command from the captains.

As I told you in another thread, the Danes have a ship incoming, but as is often stated with ships in development in this game, they're coming "Soon", which means nobody knows when it's coming, just that it is confirmed to be available to the players at some point.

13 minutes ago, Haratik said:

As I told you in another thread, the Danes have a ship incoming, but as is often stated with ships in development in this game, they're coming "Soon", which means nobody knows when it's coming, just that it is confirmed to be available to the players at some point.

If you're thinking about Christian VII I can only say that it's not ingame atm and looking at how many ships the russian empire and the americans got in game right now - neither were big naval powers - I think it's about time to focus on real navy ships..

1 minute ago, Bearwall said:

If you're thinking about Christian VII I can only say that it's not ingame atm and looking at how many ships the russian empire and the americans got in game right now - neither were big naval powers - I think it's about time to focus on real navy ships..

You're complaining about the lack of ingame Danish ships.  There's one coming in.  As far as how many ships ingame belong to a particular nation, I can understand that particular frustration and all I can tell you on that end is those were decisions by both the developers and the forum community.  Sorry!

Real navy ships...:lol: