Game-Labs Forum

Red, White and Blue

GrapeShot

On this day, two hundred and thirty-nine years ago, our forefathers affixed their names to a document which would forever change ideals and governments across the earth. Those men created a new nation, a republic, which would serve as a model for the reform of the monarchies of the Old World. Today we honor the bravery and fortitude of both the men who forged our nation's ideals, and those who defended those ideals on land and sea. May the nation they established prosper for many years to come, and let us remember the many sacrifices made so that "government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Here's to a glorious day in history, and to all our fine American captains here at Naval Action.

"Without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."

-President George Washington

• Like 1

Let no nation meddle in this, our Manifest Destiny.  The Caribbean, by rights, ought to be an American Lake.  This, my guns shall enforce.

---

So, I go by Hans Wilhelm in the game.  Somehow I missed the Open World announcement, so I'm quickly figuring that out, though I played a bit before that came out too.  A history student by day, a paramedic by night (or, as the case is currently, a paramedic over the summer while school is in break), tall ships and the period that encompasses them are a passion of mine, so this game really fits me to a T.

Aye my fellow patriots. Today is a day to celebrate life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Add to that, also the pursuit of fat monarchist trader brigs and snows and the sinking of the furrin vermin that infest our Carib lake as Brother Powderhorn mentioned.  

That moment when you see a thread named "red, white and blue" thinking it was about Norge/Norway, but instead it is a murrican post. Oh well, sink as many Swedish ships as you can!

I just realized there are 4 nations currently in the game with Red, White, and Blue flags.

I just realized there are 4 nations currently in the game with Red, White, and Blue flags.

Great Britain, France, Dutch, United States.

The players of the nation Caldwell thought of will be likely to hang me but that is four nations for me.

As a matter of fact, the colors of the french flag are : "Blue, White, Red" ; not "Red, White, Blue".

That's a big difference  ;).

A french guy can't be confused. He'd say the "Blue, White, Red" flag. So I've never thought you guys were talking about France. :)

Edited by LeBoiteux

Now I am very confused.

Ingame>

US - white stripes and stars, red stripes, blue canton

GB - Blue field, white saltire, and symmetric red cross

France- Blue white and red pales

Dutch - Blue white and red fesses

Spain - Red yellow and red fesses with coat of arms

Denmark - white scandinavian cross on red field

Sweden - yellow scandinavian cross on blue field

Are you referencing future potential of russia being added?

Because that would be double headed eagle on a yellow field as a state flag and blue saltire on white as naval jack.....

Guest raat

It probably does but the Norwegian nation are including and their flag, last time I looked, was the one I posted.

Except that flag wasn't adopted until 1821...after the time period of the game.  Furthermore, as already mentioned, it's not Norway, it's the Dano-Norwegian nation in game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Norway

Edited by Raatha

Except that flag wasn't adopted until 1821...after the time period of the game.  Furthermore, as already mentioned, it's not Norway, it's the Dano-Norwegian nation in game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Norway

:rolleyes:  Well if it's about dates the French Tricolore was only used for a short period in the Naval Action time period... 1790ish until the the restoration of the French Monarchy after Waterloo 1815. 

Royal Standard of France up to the revolution - No red, white and blue here. Dated 1663- 1790 then again from 1815 - 1830

RoyalFrenchFlag.gif

Dont get me started on the dutch flag either, I think they only adopted the Red White and Blue very late to, late 1700's. 

Now onto Spain, no red, white and blue of course but currently their Flag is incorrect for the majority of the period...  this is the ensign from 1700 - 1785

800px-Pabell%C3%B3n_sencillo_de_la_Armad

Lots to discuss I think... but a historical mindfield. ;)

Guest raat

Except it's clear even from the owners of ports that the time frame is a hodge-podge of whatever the devs choose from anytime within 1680-1820.  All your examples are from within that time frame as are the flags the devs chose for the flags in game.  Except the Norwegian flag which is outside of the time frame.

Merci but was it the Flag of France at the time?

Yes I do recall seeing an all white flag 'Nothing to do with the rumours the french always surrender of course'

Absolutely nothing to do with surrender.

The white flag was the french royal flag before 1790.

The modern use of the white flag as a surrender / peace flag only dates from the Hague Convention of 1899 when the french flag was the tricolor one : blue, white and red. 

About the history of the white flag and its successive meanings, see : http://en.wikipedia....wiki/White_flag

• Like 1

I'm not American, but I can likely answer a few things.

You'll need those 18lb Carronades later, hang on to them.   :)

I really liked 12lb carronades for my Lynx/Privateer/Cutter.  First thing to do is get 12lb carronades, load grape, and go try to capture a 12 gun vessel - that'll put you a little farther up the food chain.  Alternately, use your gold to buy a Cutter, that's a great choice too.

Team up with other Yanks there at Honda.  A group of you can take down far more than you can alone.  Find someone else and team up!

Bots are great at maneuvering and shooting, they can be very difficult until you get into a larger vessel.

For now, feel free to just use this thread to ask all the questions you like.  You can also ask in your nation chat, you'll get better Yank-centric news there.   :)

Great information sir...thank you kindly!