Game-Labs Forum

Red, White and Blue

GrapeShot

I'm not surprised that the brow-beaten European peasants don't have the initiative to start a National thread, but us industrious Yanks are another matter altogether.

Here's a place we can introduce ourselves while discussing the short-comings of the dastardly English, Spanish, Dutch, French and Swedish dogs. As for those Pirate scoundrels, while their love of freedom is to be admired, their thievery and duplicitous behavior is to be abhorred.

At any rate, I'm Grapeshot, a Yank who is master of his own fate and beholden to no titled aristocratic dandy.

Who be ye?

Edited by GrapeShot
  • Like 4

Good day to you sir and fellow free man. I am Paxton Brimstone of South Carolina and proudly serving in The Decatur Armada an American fleet with a rich history and future. 

“Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free.” 
― Joseph Warren
  • Like 3

Oh you have democracy in American now do you? Great to hear that you've caught up!

- I guess you'll be wanting to free the slaves next to justify that 'land of the free' tag?

:P 

Edited by mouse of war
  • Like 3

That moment when you see a thread named "red, white and blue" thinking it was about Norge/Norway, but instead it is a murrican post. Oh well, sink as many Swedish ships as you can!

Don't you worry, Norway are back where they belong. In the Danish Kingdom  ;)

Iu aum froum UuK aund iu wiull cruush youuu aull. !!!!! :P

I corrected your spelling into proper Englanderese for you. After all, I would hate for you to be turned down for entrance into Oxford or Eton or some other foppy English school for lack of enough 'U's in your writing.

Edited by GrapeShot
  • Like 4

Oh you have democracy in American now do you? Great to hear that you've caught up!

- I guess you'll be wanting to free the slaves next to justify that 'land of the free' tag?

:P 

Well, America arguably is the first successful republic since Rome (barring Switzerland, but that's a different story), so I don't see how we've "caught up."

As for slavery, serfdom is just as bad.

Just providing counterpoints :)

• Like 1

Since this is the only place I know to address my fellow US players, I am posting the following here. Let me know if there is a better place.

Proposal: use a selected neutral port as a forward operating base (La Anguila or Mimbres)

Since our capital is located some distance from good hunting grounds off Cuba or the Bahamas, it would be good to have a secure neutral port to use as a forward operating base(FOB). If we all work from the same FOB, we can provide mutual security, and perhaps even secure the travel route between our capital and the FOB.

It would be good to have a forward port where I know I am very likely to find other US players -- without having to travel the distance back to a US port.

Maybe we can use both, La Anguila (for Cuba ops) AND Mimbres (for Bahamas ops).

• Like 1

I was struck, as I traveled through the leeward islands, how relatively stacked on top of each other the European dogs are. In comparison, us Yanks are in the unique situation of having to travel a fair distance to find furriner ships we can liberate from the clutches of their cruel aristocratic overlords.

As an aside, it would be nice to get more NPC traffic along the west coast of Florida to make the trip a bit less tedious.

That said, your idea of having a forward staging area we could direct new Yank captains to and, once there, assist them in hunting the Old World scallywags, is a good one. Perhaps we could spread our outposts hither and yon to make blockades more difficult, and instead concentrate our ships as needed?

Edited by GrapeShot
  • Like 1

Hail All! BobW (Muttley), curently hove to in Bristol, Rhode Island.

USN retired. Gawd I love this game (even if testing - grind, reset, grind, reset.) Casual player tho, 'lest I anger Amphitrite, otherwise known as the wife of Poseidon (and my girlfriend) - who will smite my wee vessel with hordes of angree sea creatures and banshees if I play this game too much. Only got to Victory before OW and a late invite. But I digress...

I've seen a few of you online already - current status:

- Lynx (still)

- One Outpost - Mimbres

- Had 2600 gold but squandered 2K on 18 pd carronades which I can't fit on the Lynx and can't sell back. Grrrr. Costly lesson learned - won't repeat.

Been mostly operating out of Bahia Honda - grinding Trader Brigs for coins to level up. Better options?

Qs:

1. Best first purchase? 12 pd carronades for Lynx? (have useless 18 pd carronades for later)

2. Best second purchase? [Weigh in please - your insights greatly appreciated]

3. Are any of you finding Trader Brigs closer up the US coast? Or are we far better off working the Caribbean?

4. Tips with the bots? (AI seems brutally accurate gunners, even in smallest armed vessels - repeatedly getting sunk)

5. Is USA Online chat the best place to ask Qs or here in the forums? (Don't want to be annoying or get snapped at, but the [pet peeve] endless answer in game HELP chat to even easy questions of 'just watch RAM's videos' - with all due respect to his not-insignificant efforts - is IMHO a painfully inefficient way to learn a simple game item, like 'How do I know what guns fit my ship?'

I fully realize that some my Qs might seem silly (or lazy), but I only get a few hours to play/test per week. With no game user guides or help available yet at this stage, I'd rather spend those hours playing then slogging through long drawn out youtube videos to find answers to simple Qs. Hopefully, my fellow US sailors won't find that arrogant or impatient.

If so, my humblest apologies.

See you in game. Let me know whenever or however I can help. Open to teaming up on bot fleets, other countries. It's a long, slow slog... I'm still at the Lynx and can use all the help and advice I can get.

Regards all, Bob W (Muttley) Bristol, RI

"Fair winds and following seas"

• Like 1

I'm not American, but I can likely answer a few things.

You'll need those 18lb Carronades later, hang on to them.   :)

I really liked 12lb carronades for my Lynx/Privateer/Cutter.  First thing to do is get 12lb carronades, load grape, and go try to capture a 12 gun vessel - that'll put you a little farther up the food chain.  Alternately, use your gold to buy a Cutter, that's a great choice too.

Team up with other Yanks there at Honda.  A group of you can take down far more than you can alone.  Find someone else and team up!

Bots are great at maneuvering and shooting, they can be very difficult until you get into a larger vessel.

For now, feel free to just use this thread to ask all the questions you like.  You can also ask in your nation chat, you'll get better Yank-centric news there.  :)

• Like 2

I found a couple of trader brigs near Cabo Florida. I just finished one off Nassau. Currently operating out of Mimbres. 

My advice to newcomers is to play fast and loose with your Lynx. You have nothing to lose when sunk, but will learn. 

• Like 1

You should get better guns for the lynx. With the caveat that I'm not a very good fighter, the carronades are lighter (more speed) and hit harder a close range -- I prefer them.

Regardless, when you're next to a trader brig, spend some time single shotting them and checking the hit log to start figuring out where their hit boxes are located.

Edited by GrapeShot