Game-Labs Forum

Age of Sail Documentaries

CompassRose

Battlefield Detectives: The War of 1812: The Chesapeake and the Shannon DVD

http://shop.history.com/the-war-of-1812-the-chesapeake-and-the-shannon-dvd/detail.php?p=69921#tabs

A quote from the above web page "In this dramatic clash of titans, the “kill rate” of ten men per minute far eclipsed the death toll of any previous naval battle. "

Sadly, I can't find it on youtube  and I wouldn't pay $18 for it.  :(    But a nice, relatively recent study of the Chesapeake-Shannon battle.   If memory serves me the Chesapeake was not made with live oak or even hardwood, I can't remember what wood, but they shot it with a cannon and it made a crazy amount of splinters.  The Chesapeake's hull is a roof on some building in England.

• 7 months later...

OK, I spent the money on the above mentioned DVD.   I was wrong, it was worth it.  A very detailed analysis of the genius and innovations of Philip Broke.   A lot of time spent on cannon ballistics that the devs might find interesting.  Also, an eye witness account of the gore strewn Chesapeake, referring to her as "fir built ship".  They did an analysis of the hull and determined it was Long Leaf Yellow Pine.   They also shot into oak and pine to study splinter damage, although it was not conclusive that pine was worse.

Lots of other good stuff in there as well.   There's some animations, like anti rigging shot, the NA devs might like.

Does anyone know a good program for recording bits of video from a DVD to post on youtube?

Its the first time I realized they literally pinned a few additional guns onto the back of the lady to make her look more "pirate-like" in the movie. (the scene where the pearl and intercepter shoot each other you can have a look)

yes green paint ftw

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Myths of the Royal Navy (debunked) - clarifying some important points about the "harsh life" on board (better ask about life on land...)

British age of sail navy conditions in the Caribbean (Archaeology):

http://youtu.be/O-GUqJREw8I

Not a documentary but very enjoyable nonetheless: Hornblower Miniseries 1

Addicted to Sugar, Tobacco, Whiskey, Opium (BBC series about the empire and trade)

http://tune.pk/video/1074581/documentary-addicted-to-pleasure-sugar-bbc-documentary-series

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I own the Empire of the Seas book and find it better than the documentary on the television. I know that this is about documentaries however if anyone should be interested in a good book then look for John Sugden's two books on Nelson. Truly is a thrilling read and gives both sides of the story; his brilliance and his ability to irritate his superior commanders. Also in the first book I wasn't aware just how much of an influence Lord Hood played on Nelson's views of tactics. Essentially the Battle of the Nile and Trafalgar were out of Hood's playbook.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I started looking for a thread that had was about and had many documentaries in it and I couldn't find one. So I'll try to make one here, feel free to link any good documentaries about trading, piracy, naval nations etc, and I'll try to keep it updated. I myself find it very interesting to expand my knowledge about this time period and to have a collection of documentaries easily accessible.

If the mass enjoys this feel free to sticky it. 

Enjoy, Antihide.

The Great Ships: Pirate Ships - http://documentaryaddict.com/the+great+ships+pirate+ships-10245-doc.html

Edited by Antihide