Game-Labs Forum

GTX980 Ti performance

Volkira

Gigabyte G1 gaming OC enabled GTX980Ti

2560 x1440

i7 2600k

8gig of ram

Windows 7 64bit sp1

Well it's a pretty new Card with custom fans and overclocked and thought the dev's may want to see how it preformed.

I'm running the game with everything maxed out.The game is running really smoothly and I haven't had any issues yet considering it's an Alpha build.

What surprised me was the Frame rate.

In the open sea it shows to be between 28-34..But seriously it seems to be much faster.(Maybe the Lynx being so close to the water makes it appear so)

In the battle instances it's in the mid 50's.

I guess Nvidia still need to provide better drivers for the card as it's quite new but it was a surprise seeing such low FPS.

Otherwise lighting,shadows, weather and water effects looked good.

• Like 1

Are you using the defualt Ultra settings or are you using 2x or 4x anti aliasing on top of that? 

I recently finished a new build with a regular 980 and at 2560x1440 I was getting 55-60fps in the open world and 75-80 in battles. However, if I turned on 4x anti aliasing it would drop below 30 so I turned it off since it's really not needed at that resolution.

I have an EVGA 980ti coming this week so I can update with my results to compare. 

EVGA 970 here with Dell 2560x1600 resolution so slightly higher than the 1440 you guys are using and get 47 - 55fps in Open World and 57-59 in Battles, this is with AA off, with AA on then yes its below 30.  AA is not optimised yet and happy to use it without for the time being.

Yes have AA on.Will try this session without it.Thanks for tip.

update:

With  AA off getting 76-85FPS in the open world.

Looking for a lone TradeBrig to attack in my Lynx.Will post updated Battle instance FPS with AA off.

Edit:

Battle instance I got without AA 108-122 FPS.

• Like 2

Yes have AA on.Will try this session without it.Thanks for tip.

update:

With  AA off getting 76-85FPS in the open world.

Looking for a lone TradeBrig to attack in my Lynx.Will post updated Battle instance FPS with AA off.

Edit:

Battle instance I got without AA 108-122 FPS.

That sounds much more like it

If you still want to use AA or options alike. Just enable them in your driver.

I dont know NVIDIA but with AMDs you can overwrite any game's AA to match it your card's performance.

Go into your driver center (whatever its called, idk) and enable some post processing if you really long for better grafics ;)

• Like 1

I dont know NVIDIA but with AMDs you can overwrite any game's AA to match it your card's performance.

Go into your driver center (whatever its called, idk) and enable some post processing if you really long for better grafics ;)

Thats not a bad idea... I've not tested the performance of either using ingame AA or overridden AA.

EDIT: Well my EVGA 970 cant seem to override the application settings... strange.

in addition to switching off AA, try to lower water quality to medium. It looks almost the same but also gives you another good boost to FPS.

Any way you can add FXAA,? SO, instead of antialasing we can use that. 

I am awaiting to get the go ahead from HM Dockyards to begin the construction of a new ship equipped with AMD 8350 and a R9 390x and 16GB of ram once I have completed the build I will update here

just a note, in my experiance this game seems to be severely CPU limited, i cant even fully saturate a r9 270 with an overclocked fx 8320(its at 4.5 GHz)

Technically, no, this is not a good idea from an overall gaming perspective.  Beware!  In an ideal situation any graphics improvements such as AA should be done in-game as each frame is rendered by the game.  Applying AA, or any graphics improvements, 'after' the frame is rendered and thus outside the game will only slow the image getting to the monitor, and therefore result in less fps through the gfx pipeline.

Now, that said, I agree that if NA has not optimized gfx code yet, then yes, use nVidia driver settings as the way to go to improve your image quality -- but do so only at this early stage of game dev'm.

Wind. The Fury X is not a 980ti killer.

980ti still is the better card.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/69682-amd-r9-fury-x-review-fiji-arrives-9.html

these guys did some serious testing and

brings a very important point:

Fury X is a bad overclocker. While the 980ti is capable to OC very nice even with aircooling installed.

Bevore you make the final desicion on your GPU do some more research.

I watched different YT channel's reviews and have checked multiple websides' reviews.

And next to the actual performance AMD sadly uses a stupid pump which whissles all the time even at idle. And no they dont PWM control her. its 100% always. Some benchers put foam between the pummp and case to reduce that a bit.

The Fury X is a better card than the gtx 980.

but the 980ti still is the better card. Your benchmarks look like the furyX is way ahead. But I cant see that in other people's testings.

We will see what AMD can do with driver updates.

All of the independant reviews I have read shows the 980Ti ahead of the Fury X at 1080 and 1440 but it's relatively close at 4k due to the HBM of the Fury X. It's a nice card but it's not the Titan X/980Ti killer that they claimed it would be.

The air cooled variant (Fury) is supposed to be $549 so that will help them out assuming the temps aren't astronomical. I'm just not sure what kind of margin they have even at $649 with the radiator. I almost bet that they intended to price it higher but didn't expect Nvidia to price the Ti where they did.