Game-Labs Forum

coordinate system

I wrote a GIS years ago and converted xy screen coordinates to longitude and latitude. Why doesn't NA use Lon/Lat instead of a distorted xz (?) system.It seems the coordinate system doesn't agree with the google map Mercator projection. Why is this?  I spent more than 22 days at sea looking for Bermuda and had to be sunk to end up in Somerset. I blocked out the coordinates for the search rectangle using known coordinates from discovered ports and it turned out to be significantly north of my search area.

• Like 1

I wrote a GIS years ago and converted xy screen coordinates to longitude and latitude. Why doesn't NA use Lon/Lat instead of a distorted xz (?) system.It seems the coordinate system doesn't agree with the google map Mercator projection. Why is this?  I spent more than 22 days at sea looking for Bermuda and had to be sunk to end up in Somerset. I blocked out the coordinates for the search rectangle using known coordinates from discovered ports and it turned out to be significantly north of my search area.

Because the map is procedurally generated like I explained in the other thread.  You can easily create your own gis for this game if you are a professional.  I am not a professional.  All the tools are already available to you, if you aim your mind to accomplish the goal, just as you aim your guns to hit your target in a battle.

They do, the actual game navigation is under development I believe. 

Use this map:

coordinates marked on each port ex. x 750976.9 z -93071.5 Grand Anse

https://www.google.c...oc.kaQduRE0l4HU

I did use that map and not all ports have coordinates as well as a few suspect coordinates. I used the ports west and south to bracket the location of Bermuda and found myself well south of the location in NA. Must be some discrepancy between this map and the game coordinates.

I'm not whining here; It was an adventure exploring. I hope I'm adding to the constructive discussion of the game.

Where is the origin on that map?

Edited by Hugo Leopard
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...

I did use that map and not all ports have coordinates as well as a few suspect coordinates. I used the ports west and south to bracket the location of Bermuda and found myself well south of the location in NA. Must be some discrepancy between this map and the game coordinates.

I'm not whining here; It was an adventure exploring. I hope I'm adding to the constructive discussion of the game.

Where is the origin on that map?

In a thought to sail to Bermuda, I looked at its location in the map built into the Game.  On that map, Bermuda was placed due east of Swannsborough/Wilmington.

However, in the map available in NavalActionCraft.com (which appears to be based on the Real Life Google Maps, overlaid with NA location names) ... 

... Bermuda is located due east of Beaufort, South Carolina.  Which is my recollection based on my honeymoon there in 1980.

Who has actually succeeded in sailing to Bda, in NA ... and which is correct for NA purposes?  

My money is on the proposition that NA devs *moved Bermuda* north.  Why?  Ask the conspiracy theorists.

~ HK ~

Edited by HardyKnox

• 5 weeks later...

Go off the in game map.  Google maps is not accurate to what is in game.  What is in game is a mix between historical maps and what GL has done themselves.  Before we had the ingame map, you had to use my map (TDA map) or Siegfried's map, which are based off the land in game and took us hundreds of hours to create and map.  Before tda map and Siegfried's maps became public (a little less than a year ago) you just guessed or wrote down the locations.  Now you just use the in game map, unless you want to use a map that has more functions (such as tda map or others), where you can plot courses and stuff. 

• Like 1