Game-Labs Forum

Modules suggestion

Ok i decide to bring it here, because there (down part) i didn't find any understanding or reply.

Modules. I have feeling, that current modules system is broken. I know its just test for now, but it seems that direction it goes is same, as in Potbs.

In game now exist pretty large amount of different modules. First of all modules grades provide lot of trash (lowlevel modules). This trash could be useful only in case, when something is better than nothing. When its rly hard to get at least something. Getting something won't be problem with current state of things, just because when you get it, you then must simply do not waste your ship last live and your modules will be with you forever.

Second thing, is about useful items and not useful. I see some list, which is musthave, and some list which will be never used. For example, fire buckets is good, when you got fires lets say in half of your fights. But then you see additional pump, which is a lot more useful, or improved magazine access, for example. As it was in Potbs, i think, here will be some musthave modules list and they take all blanket on themselves. It will be dps associated stats in first place, then survivability stats, speed and maneuverability.

Lets keep in mind, that there is that list. Then any ship without modules we can imagine as some abstractive A, and some musthave modules as abstractive B. When there is no modules at all, game balance looks like  brit player A= france player A, when you bring modules, it will be A+B=A+B.  At the end there is same result, and it means, that B is waste of program code and time.

There is way to prevent it: cut off all musthave modules, that grants good direct bonuses to ship fighting ability, and place instead some only time to time optionally useful modules, or modules, which is useful outside of battle instance, or modules which can't be marked as better than other one. Example of last one category is sailing rose upgrades, since you never can say where is better to sail in fight 135 degree, 90, 180 or 30, and when your oppo will got better sails to 135, it will be not worse choice, if you will have better sails for 30 degree course. This two modules isn't comparable by effectiveness. And if there will be lot of uncomparable modules, it means they all can be used, without any trash list.

My english is bad. I know.

• Like 2

You have a point, to stay competitive you a certain set of modules. So thinking of an endgame duel the modules will just cancel eachother out. 

It is still worth it to have them in game. People need to be in game grinding and searching for them, that brings live people into the OW and we want to have as many real people as possible.

Secondly it creates an opportunity for the devs fund the game by offering services for the impatient or filthy rich. Everybody wins.

Do modules really add anything to the game? If they are something you want to have, then they should also be subject to risk.

These are the most basic things ever...

Loot is a very basic risk n' reward system. It adds incentive to fight and progress, and thus experience and enjoy the meat of the game in itself. It adds sense of progression, so on, so on,,,

"You want it, you need to be able to loose it" is something you pulled out of yer... uhm... hat, sincerely. Why your reward should be a subject to risk? It IS a reward, so putting durability on it and outfitting the whole thing to be a busywork serves only to undermine the reward. If you go "meh" when getting a legendary drop, because "it'll fade out after few battles anyway", then what did that risk gave you? It only undermined the reason for the whole loot system to be in the game in the first place. Care to explain why your reward should be a subject to risk?

I agree, make a vast variety of modules, this makes game interesting. Each module should have a % chance drop or can be unlocked at a certain rank.

Break modules into sections:

Damage

Reload

Sailing

Armor

Crew

Boarding

Open world exploration

etc.. 

Choose how many module ranks you want to have.

ex. Basic - Premium

Basic - has only 1 bonus value

Premium can have 3 with 1 will be negative. (+5 damage +5 reload -5 crew defense.)

Currently modules are collectively more valuable than most individual ships and are theoretically immortal (as long as you don't put them on a 1 durability ship). This is a recipe for a pretty weak economy and somewhat stale "end game."

I personally think that modules should be made less valuable, less powerful (and/or have more opportunity costs) and more expendable, such that they are more about small marginal benefits and tweaking individual play styles, rather than gaining very large, permanent bonuses, and so that they can contribute to economic churn. The whole idea of "monkeys of reloading +3" dropping as "loot" and kept as treasure forever seems an unnecessary concession to traditional MMORPG mechanics that doesn't fit the spirit of NA at all. I'd rather see resources and money gained as "loot," resources and money which can then be put toward a player-driven ship upgrade crafting system. This would all fit into the game much more logically.

• Like 5

I agree, make a vast variety of modules, this makes game interesting. Each module should have a % chance drop or can be unlocked at a certain rank.

Break modules into sections:

Damage

Reload

Sailing

Armor

Crew

Boarding

Open world exploration

etc.. 

Choose how many module ranks you want to have.

ex. Basic - Premium

Basic - has only 1 bonus value

Premium can have 3 with 1 will be negative. (+5 damage +5 reload -5 crew defense.)

i realy dont like this idea the modules need to be craft and (also loot a littel bite) because this will make the economie running.  and for resources all nation need to fight for it so it a ring because they will destoy why they fighting for.

it a mmo with the economique part so must to be player driven. if the dev want all player fighting for the economie.

• Like 1

Modules are a stupid idea to begin with in my opinion, they belong in arena games like WoT and WT etc. No idea why they are even in the game.

If you're going to have some kind of upgrade feature then there are better ways to do it and rather than improving the modules they should put time into finding a better way of handling upgrades full stop.

• Like 2

Modules are always a good idea, it makes a ship unique to its counterparts and like someone else said in here, I can support the dev if there's a premium spot for the modules in any way; win win situation.

None of that is unique to modules, you could apply the same reasoning to advocate whatever mechanic they chose to handle ship 'upgrades'.

I think that the modules should be re-worked when player created ships arrive. Right now, modules are immortal and that will not generate demand for player crafted items. When Player created ships arrive i would like to see the upgrades be qualities of the ship build and materials. 

things like the rigging, sails, planking, mast and structure should determine the ship qualities, not magic immortal items that magic 15% reload bonuses at all times.

• Like 1

Modules are a stupid idea to begin with in my opinion, they belong in arena games like WoT and WT etc. No idea why they are even in the game.

If you're going to have some kind of upgrade feature then there are better ways to do it and rather than improving the modules they should put time into finding a better way of handling upgrades full stop.

I don't think they are a stupid ideas as such, there are many areas they could be realistic and useful, quality boost on items like ropes and sails for one, a set of high quality well cut sails makes a lot of difference, light wind sails made from fine light weight cloth for lighter winds, if they get introduced. Different grades of rope also make a huge difference, i remember spending ages trying to decide on what type and weight of rope i would use on my boats. Clean hull, top speed increase, copper plate, slows marine growth which causes drag, many of the modules in game now have value, just not quite as they are implemented at present on that i agree. There should be many ,many useful ways to tune your ship, the module way gives you x boxes to limit the amount, we need to have a lot of very useful choices so not everyone are using exactly the same ones thus making them pointless.

• Like 2

modules isn't stupid idea when players use different modules to variate they tactic, but modules is stupid idea, when all use same set of them. True is, that in most games, where benefits from upgrades can be calculated, players do so and use most effective set always, throwing rest of modules into trash box.

modules are there to make use of you brain  

they will make a variety of differents fitting and ship and also use of ship . however the bigger one will always win due to is initial stats.

this is the key for a good or a bad game.  diversification of ships 

I don't think they are a stupid ideas as such, there are many areas they could be realistic and useful, quality boost on items like ropes and sails for one.

Obviously, but you don't walk into a ropery and ask for an improved rigging module... Copper sheathing is not a 'module' either. It's an upgrade, an improvement, a modification and of course this wouldn't last forever as an in game modules do too.

Call them upgrades or improvements and remove items like 'more powder monkeys' that improve reload speed. This should be encompassed within crew skill, which would improve with time and action.

To qualify I'm not calling an upgrade system 'stupid' but handling it within a 'module' mechanic like exists now is.

From a lowly 1 1/2 striper:  

Are there "sailing skill" modules to buy in OW?   Historically, there were some "crack" ships that could "tack thru an anchorage".

Maybe improved, tacking, raising and lowering sail, faster bracing of yards, etc?  It would be realistic and help maneuvering against the "motor driven" bots.........

Great game anyway guys!!

Obviously, but you don't walk into a ropery and ask for an improved rigging module... Copper sheathing is not a 'module' either. It's an upgrade, an improvement, a modification and of course this wouldn't last forever as an in game modules do too.

Call them upgrades or improvements and remove items like 'more powder monkeys' that improve reload speed. This should be encompassed within crew skill, which would improve with time and action.

To qualify I'm not calling an upgrade system 'stupid' but handling it within a 'module' mechanic like exists now is.

A wealthy Captain might well hire or press extra crew in the form of young boys and train them to pre-fetch the bags of powder from the magazine and the cannonballs from the hold and place them in such a way that the firing of the cannons would be faster on that ship - and if they were really well drilled "powder monkeys" they might even be called "golden powder monkeys" and increase the fire rate 15% !

What you got against me hiring young boys to help me win? That was the age.

We can call it "fast pototes" or "stupid tomatoes" - don't matter, some want to customize their ship to fit their game play style. I'm sure all the Rakers have golden powder monkeys AND golden improved magazine access as well.

Yeh, or hire grown men to do it, increase the fire rate 20%! Then they could have built a shed on the deck to store the powder and shot in too, increase the fire rate 30% ! They could have tied ropes around whales and had them tow the ship, increase speed 50% !

There are certain improvements that are sensible and there are some that aren't..

• Like 1