Game-Labs Forum

Pirates attacking Pirates

Please tell me where exactly I wrote to report You?

I think Im pretty friendly guy for everyone in this game and it is first time that someone was writing I'm a "bully", thats why I'm so concerned about You accusations.

ps.
Thnx Prater, didn't know about that.

• Like 1

Why would it be harassment? Nobody gets punished without cause. So the worst that could happen would be that someone would be bored by checking a case where nothing happened - and if it gets punished it was obviously right to report it. Don't see a problem there.

And still, the question about friendly fire persists. If it is legal I have a Bello waiting as well. Yarr.

Threatening someone is fine? Let me ask this again, it's fine to threaten someone you'll report him, because you know there is no reason to report him?

Come on, the gems here! And even better yet, you admit you don't know if the guy was at fault, but threatening to report him is ok, because stupid overthought reasons? What next, comparing someone to Hitler is fine, because he's not in fact Hitler? What kind of nonsensical logic is that?

• Like 2

You are completely misreading me there, but nice place for a completely pointless Hitler analogy.

First: I did not report him

Second: As far as I had heard so far, friendly fire (as in: those on your team shoot your team) should be reported and would be looked on.

Therefore third: I said I'd report it.

And fourth: My sentence above: Even if in error (after all, I am by far not the one who judges), there is only harm done if admin judges it as well as "wrong" and punishes it. And then is no harm done, since it will be just. So in no case is harm done. I don't see how saying to bring it to an arbitrators attention is harassment. 

Well if nothing else this shows Pirates needs a warning message explaining they are fair game to all, because it seems some do not understand this.

Hopefully this can be closed now, i was only defending myself , sorry if it's in the wrong place and all that.

Edited by Captain146

I think the pirate population will be the ultimate self-governed system in the game. I mean after all, Anyone can attack anyone, but for all other instances, you become a pirate (in this matter, shouldn't friendly fire still garner XP/loot as it will be legit under a Nat turning pirate?). And with the pirates, just as in history, I foresee the more organized among us making, at the least, non-aggression pacts to avoid undue conflict. Who knows, the pirates may even end up with their own, player based tribunal system :P

We have to worry about all of you hunting us down, there's no need to have more fires burning if it can be avoided. Sure there will be those that will not with to do so and be lone sharks, and they should have every opportunity to do so. They will be dealt with by said community, should it develop. 

• Like 3

It seem most are completely missing his point here, Tash totally accepts pirates can attack pirates, he has mentioned doing it himself and within his group. Pirates on each side of the battle, ie red pirates and green pirates are totally fair game and in no way are they being questioned in this thread by the group. Tash is as far as i see completely right to ask if a member of your TEAM ie someone who is green to you is allowed to use that GREEN FRIEND SAME SIDE situation to attack you in the instance, and cause you to maybe lose your ship. IE friendly fire within the instance.

I for one would not be happy if anyone who is GREEN / ON MY SIDE within the instance started shooting me, pirate or not green and red are the enemy, green shooting green should not be allowed if your a pirate or not, otherwise why do pirates get put into opposite sides if everyone is an enemy.

This is a very confusing post.  What is the complaint here?

I thought that once you attacked someone from your own nation you were considered a pirate and EVERYONE was permitted to attack you.  

Seems reasonable that pirates can attack other pirates.  Everyone else can attack pirates.   Who cares if anyone starts a battle as a collaborative friendly force to pirates then changes his intent and attempts to damage or destroy them.  Pirates are dishonest honourless thieving criminals  that should never be trusted.  Seems very gamey to suggest that pirates MUST consider other pirates as friendlies.  Seems reasonable that if if a pirate turns hostile and fires on another pirate in the middle of a battle it's all fair game.  Pirates should be able to use any form of trickery and ruse to attack anyone.  They are friggin' pirates.  Soulless scum of the sea.  Anyone should be permitted to attack a pirate at anytime without reason or provocation.

... although if a pirate swears (in text chat) at another pirate then THAT could be referred to a tribunal for resolution.

I'm confused.  What is the complaint here?

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 1

This is a very confusing post.  What is the complaint here?

I think in simple terms what is being asked here and it is a valid Alpha game play question in my book.

Countries :   Green hitting Green of any nation is not allowed in game and it is classed as in many games, and frowned upon, as team killing.

Pirates :       Green hitting Green in pirate faction is ok or not ok... that is the question

within the group involved 3 say it is not ok and the one doing the team killing is saying it is ok.

Everyone else, myself included, are just saying what ever...!

Simple as it can be :)

Pirates probably need the option to switch sides or create another side in mid battle.   Perhaps this is something the devs will also incorporate as part of allowing multiple nations to battle in a single combat?

If fact, on many occasions pirate players have sunk team AI, because they are destroying/damaging a prize...

Quartermaster

ok by me..if u want to attack a brother,,sister pirate,,just dont be upset when they turn thier guns on you too..and some people have long memorys,,jumping a brother pirate now,may mean a problem for u when the game is open to the public in the future.right now for myself im establishing my credibility,,and trust,,and the players that see me out there and ask me to join or help know that i can be trusted in a fight,,dont care about the gold,i let the bigger ships have my target if they want,,i know they are exspensive to run..saveing up for a consti,,,i use my privateer cus i realy dont like any of the other ships,,so i have nothing else to do and all the time in the world to do that nothing,,i have a way cool privateer,,fine,,armoured mag,,armourd bow,and reinforced mast,,and it looks cool

I think in simple terms what is being asked here and it is a valid Alpha game play question in my book.

Countries :   Green hitting Green of any nation is not allowed in game and it is classed as in many games, and frowned upon, as team killing.

Pirates :       Green hitting Green in pirate faction is ok or not ok... that is the question

within the group involved 3 say it is not ok and the one doing the team killing is saying it is ok.

Everyone else, myself included, are just saying what ever...!

Simple as it can be :)

Pretty much it. Nobody of us cared about the "danger" a single Lynx posed obviously. For myself, what annoying was the (in my view) pure trollish attempt to annoy other players. Especially since we usually took every "new" player that showed in pirate faction chat and helped them at the start (questions answered, help with the first capture and so on). 

Why pure trollish? Because a lynx that fires "broadsides" upon a constellation and two other frigs is nothing else and has nothing to do with "that's how pirates behaved in real life". If I am not completely mistaken, not being able to attack ships of that size in a lone lynx is one of the "gameplay features" stated in the naval faction open world FAQ. 

Flip, on 03 Apr 2015 - 04:28 AM, said:

Q. Can my tiny boat engage that big scary elephant 1st rate?

A. No, smaller boats can not attack boats that are exceedingly larger (think Lynx vs Victory). This is planned to cut back on greifing/trolling.

I think Lynx vs 3 Frigs is pretty much the same. Especially since it can't outmaneuver 3 at once.

Additionally, nobody would have said anything if the lynx would have tagged us in open world and attacked (as you can do). If friendly fire IS intended for pirates WITHIN battles, at least boarding should be enabled so that a ship that is parking right next to you can be boarded.

Edited by Tesh
  • Like 1

Only if your Bloodlust is satisfied oh great captain Bart.

if it turns out you cannot attack pirates anywhere and anyhow as a pirate you might aswell rename the "pirates" to Carebears and make them pink, i would have enjoyed being a proper pirate free to attack anybody even back stabbing other pirates if i had the chance, it's a shame.

Edited by Captain146

Well, this interpretation that a lynx joining the battle is "trollish" doesn't seem very clear to me. Sure, it would be logical to not engage the superior ship, but no one does the most logical thing on every instance. With this philosophy you've presented, in which attacking a more superior vessel is "trollish", everyone who's attacked a ship two tiers up or anything like that is being trollish? 

To add, Captain clearly stated that he was looking for some roleplay in it too. I totally understand it- I've been a GM, builder and head loremaster on a minecraft roleplay server for 11 months now set in this time period. Look me up- I'm Sagittarian99 of Adventure Network.

Captain, in my strict opinion was not being a troll. Sure, he clearly made a grievous tactical error, but it wasn't a case of someone wildly suiciding to intentionally disrupt a battle. He doesn't deserve this massive forum argument from all of you, and I think we need to move on. Everyone's butchered the argument about pirate PVP already; the message is clear. Now, lets leave this poor guy alone and move on.

Hoping anyone with locking perms can lock this soon.

I'm doing my undergrad in early 18th century maritime culture and I would like to remind everyone that historically, during the 'Golden age of Piracy' the period arguably from 1690-1730, pirates largely DID NOT DO THIS - as in attack each other on sight... some did, but on the whole it was an anathema. I would like to point everyone to a work done by one of the foremost authorities on pirates in the world today, the Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodard, which takes a detailed look at the lives and biographies of the most famous pirates of the golden age, how they worked together and who mentored them, truly an eye opener.

Now I'm not suggesting we have a pirate nation… all I'm saying is, there WAS more of a solidarity between them, a mentality of 'let's look out for each other because no one else is looking out for us' even if only out of self preservation or for personal gain. It was this cooperation, working together for mutual advantage, that allowed them to grow in force strong enough to occupy for a time the entire crown colony of the Bahama Islands and become so powerful that they were able to practically sever trade between Europe and her New World colonies.

• Like 5

I'm doing my undergrad in early 18th century maritime culture and I would like to remind everyone that historically, during the 'Golden age of Piracy' the period arguably from 1690-1730, pirates largely DID NOT DO THIS - as in attack each other on sight... some did, but on the whole it was an anathema. I would like to point everyone to a work done by one of the foremost authorities on pirates in the world today, the Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodard, which takes a detailed look at the lives and biographies of the most famous pirates of the golden age, how they worked together and who mentored them, truly an eye opener.

Now I'm not suggesting we have a pirate nation… all I'm saying is, there WAS more of a solidarity between them, a mentality of 'let's look out for each other because no one else is looking out for us' even if only out of self preservation or for personal gain. It was this cooperation, working together for mutual advantage, that allowed them to grow in force strong enough to occupy for a time the entire crown colony of the Bahama Islands and become so powerful that they were able to practically sever trade between Europe and her New World colonies.

I do agree with your proposal here; pirates are not all lone wolves. However, for the sake of this giant forum battle and those caught up in it, let's discuss this in a different post, eh?

• Like 1

Everyone's butchered the argument about pirate PVP already; the message is clear. 

Actually the question has still not been answered. I also see no giant forum battle, just a few people who are waiting for clarification. It might help if people who are not concerned would stop blowing this out of proportion.

Edited by Tesh

If it was merely a question then it should have been posted in the forums as a question not brought to a tribunal.

Open the discussion in Open World and don't drag this situation up, let the community discuss this issue of pirates vs pirates, it's a good question.

Closed.

• Like 1