Game-Labs Forum

Booyaah's One Google Map to rule them all !!

Hi guys,

I know everyone likes Google Maps and I haven't seen anyone make a public Google Map yet so I decided do this.  So I've been plotting out all my port exploration so far.  This map has each faction's ports broken out into individual lists on the left hand side, including neutral and pirate ports, so you can easily find a port by name or faction.  Basically I need some help from the community to map the rest of the ports (see below).  

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the map so far, I believe we are well above 250 ports and the devs said there were about 350 ports.  There are most likely a bunch of small islands out in the middle of nowhere with ports that no one has found yet.  

'Official' Map: At request of some of the community, I have made a locked version of the previous map as some people were moving points around the community map erroneously.  

UPDATE (June 11th 2015): If you would like a port added or a correction made, just make a post in this thread.  Your post to have ports added or data corrected should contain a screenshot of the port with the F11 coords visible and also a picture of where to place the port on the map.  See this post for an example: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/5479-booyaahs-one-google-map-to-rule-them-all/page-5#entry108852

I am going to start giving credit out by putting people's names by any new ports found from here on out and it will also help ensure accuracy.  

MAP SHORT URL: https://goo.gl/ttZkz9

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=znKaQtPyLToc.kaQduRE0l4HU&usp=sharing (long URL)

Preview:

gs6zqWM.png

Retweet and share the love: https://twitter.com/Booyaah82/status/607015133127151616

Community Map: This map is open to everyone, anyone can edit and add new ports to this map.  Let's see how fast we can get the NA community to map everything!  

All I ask is that if you add a point that you use the in-game name and not the actual modern day name.  Some ports like La Tortue being Tortuga are obvious, but some others are not. Also if you can add the in-game coords (F11) and if the port is shallow or deep water as well.  For capital cities, just add to the end of the name (Capital City).  If you're vain, you can also put - Added by: Your Name

Community URL: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=znKaQtPyLToc.kgARZbleaCZo

How to add a point to the community map:

1) Apparently you must be signed in with a Google account to add to the map, so go ahead and do that first.

2) Click on the link above, then zoom in relatively close on the map where you want to add the point using your mouse's scrollwheel up

3) Highlight the country/faction's layer you are adding the point for, you should see a blue vertical bar on the left side of the list.

4) Click 'Add Marker' from the icons right below the google search box.  You can drag the waypoint around after dropping it to get the exact placing right.

5) Give it the actual name used in the Naval Action world

6) You can add additional metadata in the description like in-game coords (F11), if it is a deep or shallow water port, or a fun fact if you want.

7) Change the flag to match the appropriate country by hovering over the marker in the list

8) You should see a little paint bucket icon, click on it and it should show you the correct flag.

9) If it does not click on more icons and scroll down to custom icons and you should see the correct flag.

General In-Game Sailing, Navigation, and Cartography Tips

(just started this, please let me know any cool stuff you find in-game and ill add it to this list)

- The wind will move counterclockwise by 5 degrees once every hour of in-game time

- A single in-game day in Naval Action lasts ~20 minutes.  It takes about 8 seconds of real time for 10 minutes of time to pass in-game.

- Each 'tick' mark on the compass rose represents 15 degrees

- It takes ~90 seconds to sail 10,000 units in the in-game coord system in a Lynx with favorable wind going about 19-20 kn.  

- So 15 minutes min to travel 100k in coords (a tad bit faster in trinc/connie)

p.s.  Also if you are looking for some good sailing/pirate music, check out my YT playlist: 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxCv5yXYzYTYz7vJzSgV-vQyfcelOozTS

Edited by Booyaah
  • Like 26

nice map.

from what I have personally seen from sailing alone the gulf coast to New Orleans and also along parts of South America, as well as from your map.  The Spanish  will have no problems finding friendly ports.  LOL

Thanks for the providing the updates Sappo!  Now I just need to get someone who has explored South America and Mexico :)

Also I'm wondering if there is a port in Bermuda...wondering if anyone has taken the time to try and actually find it.

Edited by Booyaah

select the country you want to ad a port on the left (once selected you will see the left side highlighted) and after in the top use the add marker ,place and name it . Voila !

Sappo569, on 26 May 2015 - 8:28 PM, said:    And you need to be signed into google to add

Edited by Vander_Mitch

I dont now how to edit that map, but east from British Virgin Islands is Anguilla, in the island under that are ports Marigot and Philipsburg, Those are neutral ports. And south-east from Philibsburg is Gustavia, that is the Swedish main port.

And you need to be signed into google to add

Added some danish ports, removed the "English Virgin islands" tag, since that was wrong. (the islands are danish)

Added "Spanish Town"

I believe "road town" (in the same area) is in the game, but not 100% sure

Added Gustavia. (it need to be checked since Iam basing it on the map and Swedish ships in the area so name might be wrong)

Suggest adding a note about the capital/starting towns

What type of harbor is it? deep water?

I Take a trip from the martinique down to the guyana then follow the coast of venezuella all the way to Gilbraltar in the Lake Maracaibo

14 New city lol ! hehe  ok for today

Edited by Vander_Mitch

I've added 5 ports (2 neutral, 2 Spanish and 1 English) along the Central American coast, starting with Tulum on the Yucatan south to Belize. Did it from memory so a couple of them need to be visited to be named as well having their precise location double-checked.

Edited by GrapeShot

The one in the bay at South of Tulum is Asuncion. At north of Belice is Salamanca. In Chinchorro island is the port pirate of Chinchorro. The other in the coast next to chinchorro I didn't find, I was sleep maybe...

In the North of Yucatán is a Pirate harbour in the rought position of Isla Contoy named "Tumbado".

My info is from 4 days ago.

There is a harbour north of the pirate port Ille a Vache, but because of shallows and a french frigate I could not see the faction or name, although I suppose it is Arrondissement des Cayes.

Canal du Sud seems to be unshippable, in a Snow atleast.

Edited by BlueEagleGER

There is a harbour north of the pirate port Ille a Vache, but because of shallows and a french frigate I could not see the faction or name, although I suppose it is Arrondissement des Cayes.

Canal du Sud seems to be unshippable, in a Snow atleast.

Les cayes, french.