Game-Labs Forum

Skirmisher Tactics

Euriska22

Euriska22, I'm not that a great gamer, but I think you've got the essential. Screen artillery, second rank firing (from a hill), and put on the flanks make them viable. They do take lot of casualties when pressing any kind of attacks, even on the flanks. Imo, they must not be used in any condition in offense (cavalry is better at this). Find them good ground on a wooden hill, just below an unprotected artillery, of maybe on an unprotected flank or Victory Location. They really die like flees, especially when you play the confederates, so do not use them in attack.

They're OK to attack with if you manage to get behind the enemy.  The key is to let them engage units that are already fighting.  Hitting a brigade from behind with skirmishers is a great way to break their morale.  Just make sure they fallback before any enemy brigades turn their 1000 rifles on them.  That's the fun of skirmishers, harassing enemy units behind the lines or on the flanks.  Hit and run.  Delay, harass and disrupt the enemies plans.

Contrary to some of the posts above I typically use skirmishers one the front lines as a screen to protect my regular infantry as they advance into gun or melee range.  They are particularly useful for soaking up the opening volleys and canister allowing the infantry behind to charge with minimal casualties.  The confed skirmishers excel here as they can absorb 2-3 full volleys or a few canister shots before routing.  The Union Skirmishers are too flimsy to last long in any given engagement and route very easily though the above can still apply though not as effectively.  Typically skirmishers are decimated almost every time they are in play (at least that's what I notice, though it could be just me using the above strategy too eagerly).  

Contrary to some of the posts above I typically use skirmishers one the front lines as a screen to protect my regular infantry as they advance into gun or melee range.  They are particularly useful for soaking up the opening volleys and canister allowing the infantry behind to charge with minimal casualties.  The confed skirmishers excel here as they can absorb 2-3 full volleys or a few canister shots before routing.  The Union Skirmishers are too flimsy to last long in any given engagement and route very easily though the above can still apply though not as effectively.  Typically skirmishers are decimated almost every time they are in play (at least that's what I notice, though it could be just me using the above strategy too eagerly).  

Imho, that's a waste. You waste their firing potential using them as human-wall. You should prefer screening your "charging" units with 1 star ranking infantry, as they are affordable.

I wonder what's the real purpose of the charge however in current version, it's always a good way to make the timer last longer, but also a good way to break a good and coordinated advance of yours. On other games, I'm quite a charger, but I hardly see any advantage in this. Pressing home is maybe the word however.

Edited by Grognard_JC