Game-Labs Forum
admin

Please post your major annoyances

SeamanStaines    244

Major.

1. Boarding is hugely difficult and unpredictable compared to Sea Trials

2. Gunnery difficult and quirky on small ships (cant speak for larger vessels yet).

2. AI battles great for experienced players but will be too hard for new players. Needs some training and practice modules eventually or some way to combat this.

Less major (but important)

1. No points for damage if u sink, makes it difficult for newbies to progress and in fleet actions you may be required to make a tactical sacrifice why should you not get some reward. Plenty of other disincentives already to deter reckless behavior

2. Warning needs to flash on screen when more players join a battle, difficult to keep scanning for this when fighting.

3. Ganking needs to be addressed somehow.

4. Reset button (until test period over) to avoid having to restart career when for instance trapped in shallows/land or lost at sea. Should return you to last port.

5. More BOT targets not in fleets (especially significant when not many live players online)

Johny Reb    1,255

1. People joining a battle after it began can spawn right on top of the battle with no warning.

2. Scope on OW

3. High crew on traders

Thalion    15

Durability

The durability should be removed entirely. Every ship should have only 1 Durability / Life. If is will sink, i should be gone. There should be not taking risks because you know "Ah i bought it and it still has 5 durability". You should have fear of losing your ship in every battle. Durability is in no means a logical nor immersive feature. If you do want new ships to be better, it should be done in another way. Maybe give them also a used state where it'll have less performance than a bought ship. To get it as good as a new one you'll have to spend 20% of the ships worth. Or reduce the possiblity of good permanent modules, they might gotten worse with the time of duty of the ship. So captured ships will performe worse in most cases.

Edit:

Used State - Just make AI ships a random days old and for each day it will lose performance. You'll have to pay for it to get it as good as new.

Edited by Thalion

AP514    115

1) unlimited amout of players joining in on battles---Limit time a new player can join a fight in Progress

2) AI sailing- no matter the state of sail damage they still can go full/top speed..can sail full speed directly into the wind...ect

3) GANKING---A Trinc and 7 other enemy ships vs 1 Brig

Nathaniel    275

1) unlimited amout of players joining in on battles---Limit time a new player can join a fight in Progress

A timer or limit on players entering combat would propell it to the Nr. 1 of my annoyance list. It did basically ruin the PvP in PotBS.

Ratas    5

1. I prefer action over wandering around. Too much chasing around in OW with too little action. (I just personally prefer arena style in Sea Trials.)

2. Hard to find any interesting battles and seems like a too much grind to get anything else than Lynx. Four guns and low crew makes capturing anything bit too much of a pain.

3. NPC sailing against wind in OW. Makes the frustration of chasing that much worse.

Blackjack Morgan    1,026

1. Open Sea range to engage a target is too big....would rather it be cut to about half the current size.

2. I'd use  1.17 times the square root of your height of eye = Distance to the horizon in nautical miles that we are allowed to see in game while on the open sea. Everyone is always calling for "realism" so let's go ahead and stick to realism and use this as the basis to determine how far we can see....obviously the distance we arrive at should be to scale of the game world.

3. Pirates getting more xp for sinking a ship instead of capturing it....seems rather un-piratey.

PIerrick de Badas    1,121

1) empty area with no npc and player making it useless to join

2) grind mecanism forcing people to do something they don't want to be able to play

3) Not any instance mecanism.

=> gank

=> you can't know wich battle joined when a teamate ask you to join and there is two battle with same nation in

=>people poping into the battle in wrong place

=> instance are dc from ow (night day/area)

Gatsu    29

1. Steering in the open sea, it feels unnatural, laggy and not at all just time compressed.

2. The UI makes the game feel cheap.

3. The AI aim is way too good, it's not human.

Bart Smith    1,619

Well:

1 - Boarding - simple and dissapointing atm

2 - Like others complain - AI accuracy way better than our...

3 - Lack of map. Currently using google maps is not fun for me at all...We should get own map with marked places we visit already. That would help to navigate for sure!

LeBoiteux    1,256

1 - Travel speed is too fast, i.e. time compression is too high,

2 - No telescope in OW,

3 - No connection between OW and instances in terms of  weather, daytime, map location, shallows and so on,

4 - IA needs to be tuned : sometimes too hard (accuracy), sometimes dumb (unarmed ship not trying to flee nor striking colors).

Edited by LeBoiteux

Taki1980    33

No diffrence in Shipspeed in the same Shiptype for ex. Lynx. Want more Options and simulation in Sailing and Risk to damage Sails with wrong sails set. So chasing will be more fun.

Legioneod    67

1.no map

2.delay when firing the guns

3.module stacking.

one way to address the issue with players joining the battle late is to make them spawn on the edge of the instance so they have to sail a good distance to the fight. that way the player has a chance to escape if he wants

Hugh Latham    318

3. Steering on the os is way to sensitive. I always over steer. Very frustrating when tacking.

2. Constantly having to run away from npc. I think hailing distance should be greatly shortened. That way we have to approach more to recognize an enemy and vise versa.

1. Open sea wind is predictable. It would be great if winds matched the actual geographic region in direction and variability. There are charts with this data that could be used to implement it.

Edited by Hugo Leopard

Balsafer    266

1. People complaining travel speed in OW is to fast

2 .People complaining travel speed in OW is to fast

3.People complaining travel speed in OW is to fast

4. Glitchiness and movement in OW is awkward.

5. AI bit too accurate at long range

6. More stable items in ports (every port should have all types of cannons.)

Johny Reb    1,255

I'm gonna add the wind. A constantly changing wind is irritating to say the least. Wind shifted of course but the continual veering of the wind like the hands of a clock is frustrating and hinders true open sea navigation.

Hunter    80
  1. Carronades. Whilst they do seem a little better than they were in the previous version, they still don't feel right. I think part of that is the way you've artificially set their short range by limiting the velocity rather than the accuracy. Firing ball from them is ok, however firing anything else is virtually pointless because the range is so miniscule you literally have to be alongside the target vessel. with grapeshot this isn't so much of an issue, but you cannot hit any higher than the courses on another ship, and that's at the perfect distance and max elevation whilst being the leward vessel. Did you guys experiment at all with giving them a range not much shorter than equivalent "medium" cannon, but having a pretty poor accuracy at all? After all, this is historically why they only had a very short effective range rather than the ball not traveling very far. They also seem to bounce more often which I'm guessing is a byproduct of the lower velocity, which again is a little strange given all the data that has been provided by various sources. If you tried this and it really didn't work for whatever reason then fair enough, I'm just surprised that you artificially limited their range rather than recreating the reason they had a short effective range.
  2. AI behaviour. ungodly accurate and currently very easy to manipulate into going where you want it to. Also doesn't take into account wind either in the open sea or instances.
  3. I observed a fair few shots that passed through the hull of a target and produced a splash originating from within the hull and causing no damage. I can't remember if I F11'd it or not, but it did seem to happen more often with carronades than normal guns.

other than that, absolutely loved it :)

edit: oh, also the AI lynx seem to be cutting about with 6lb cannon :)

Edited by Hunter

scepo    89

I have some new concerns

1. Friendly fire giving exp and gold same as damage done to enemy

2. Teleport has no ˝are you sure¨ pop up and players can sail while it counts down, in my opinion they should be stationary for 60s while not being invisible or invulnerable.

3. Camera needs more work, at least more zoom out, and i can read port name from far away with free cam and scout around much farther especially in the night.

Prater    5,325

I have some new concerns

1. Friendly fire giving exp and gold same as damage done to enemy

2. Teleport has no ˝are you sure¨ pop up and players can sail while it counts down, in my opinion they should be stationary for 60s while not being invisible or invulnerable.

3. Camera needs more work, at least more zoom out, and i can read port name from far away with free cam and scout around much farther especially in the night.

Are you sure FF gives gold and xp?  Leviathan tested it in an earlier build and it did not give gold and xp.

I'm gonna add the wind. A constantly changing wind is irritating to say the least. Wind shifted of course but the continual veering of the wind like the hands of a clock is frustrating and hinders true open sea navigation.

I think the point is so no one gets stuck for an insane amount of time because of the wind.

SeamanStaines    244

Here are a few of my minor issues

1. Gunnery too difficult, maybe it was too easy before but now its gone too far the other way. Unless I am point blank range mostly I appear to miss. Smoke makes it nearly impossible to see ranging shots. However AI does not have these problems.

2. Taking over ships after boarding. All the crew automatically go to the other ship and on one occasion before I could end the battle the ship sank and I was left as if my own ship had sunk and returned to nearest friendly port. Also if the battle is still in progress it means you have to leave the your prize under a  white flag and anyone can take it. I think a better solution is a boarding party say 10% of crew take command of the ship an it leaves the battle automatically.

3. No warning when someone joins the battle meaning you have to constantly look at the player list, why make it easier for the gankers?

Having said that the rest of the gameplay is progressing well and I am very pleased with the way its heading

Steelfury    43

1. AI ignoring wind direction on OW, sailing straight into wind & through islands

2. Wind is too predictable, but at the same time inconsistent: I'd like to see trade winds broadly speaking blowing west in the south, east in the north, although not constant, this could make travel easier in some ways, as well as being a guide to where merchants are likely to be passing etc.

3. AI and players entering battles; I think there should be a cut-off period for entry, maybe after 5 mins of battle or something, as working down a ship on your own to board it & then having some AI come in and blow the crap out of it is very frustrating

scepo    89

Are you sure FF gives gold and xp?  Leviathan tested it in an earlier build and it did not give gold and xp.

Yes I am, tested it yesterday.

thomas aagaard    163

That you need to be very close to get info about a battle. so most of the time you need to sail to it.
That the info you get is only the sides involved.

That you need to be very close to a port to get the name and info on it.

That the colors used for that text is very hard to read when it is gray.

(change it to Blue=friendly, Green = open, Red = enemy)

AI cheat. (as others have mentioned)